5th gen Ram Led?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th gen Ram Led?

So the 5th gen Ram led projectors are already starting to pop up on eBay. Going for about $50 per projector. Does anybody have any experience with these? Know if they are used in other models and worth the money for a retrofit or is aftermarket still the way to go?

here is a link. Hopefully this doesnít violate forum rules. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-SET...item3af78a2c20

Wonder why they're so cheap!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Asked some guys with 19 Rams to post a pic of their headlights with the led projectors. Had one response. No idea what he took the picture with and I know this is to telling us much. But itís something. The top is the low beam and the bottom of each is high beam.

Comment

Originally posted by Spud2388 View Post
        So the 5th gen Ram led projectors are already starting to pop up on eBay. Going for about $50 per projector. Does anybody have any experience with these? Know if they are used in other models and worth the money for a retrofit or is aftermarket still the way to go?

here is a link. Hopefully this doesnít violate forum rules. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-SET...item3af78a2c20
        They have been selling these for well over a year. I know because I picked a set up a year ago. They supposedly came out of pre-production mule Rams.The problem is that they need the original driver module to power them appropriately. You can run 12V to the pins they claim in their handwritten diagram but it will not properly project the correct beam. I believe both projectors illuminate simultaneously as low and simultaneously as high.

So both projectors need to be positioned accordingly. Which means you need the original lamp bracket. I don't believe you get them from this seller.

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post

They have been selling these for well over a year. I know because I picked a set up a year ago. They supposedly came out of pre-production mule Rams.The problem is that they need the original driver module to power them appropriately. You can run 12V to the pins they claim in their handwritten diagram but it will not properly project the correct beam. I believe both projectors illuminate simultaneously as low and simultaneously as high.

So both projectors need to be positioned accordingly. Which means you need the original lamp bracket. I don't believe you get them from this seller.
          You lost me here... lol. I understand it might require the module as there seems to be more pins than a regular 12v, ground, high and low. But are you suggesting there are more moving parts going on inside? I assume no shutter for high beam? Would they act like a quad setup with both doing the lows and highs or is one for low and one for high? Asking too many questions? Lol

Comment

From the pics, it looks like they produce a crap-ton of foreground. The IIHS test of the new Ram with the LED projectors shows that they shine pretty far, but produce ridiculous amounts of glare and earn a 'Poor' rating overall. 285% glare on both sides of the straightaway and a whopping 1,011% on the sharp left curve. Yikes! I hope I don't encounter one of these on a dark, curvy two-lane road.

I think what evo is saying is that the Ram uses two of these projectors per side, so you need 4 of them. I'm assuming they're bi-led projectors, as well. So yeah, they're essentially a quad setup. And as a quad setup, the projectors need to be aligned perfectly relative to one another on each side in order to produce the proper beam pattern. And to get that precise alignment, you would need the mounting bracket from the Ram headlight. I think that's what he's saying.

I don't know much about bi-led projectors, but I did watch a night-time video of a new Jetta and it appeared to have additional emitters (rather than a shutter/shield) within the projector that activated with the high beam. I assume that means that it's the arrangement of the emitters within the projector that produce the shape of the beam rather than a cutoff shield like in an HID or halogen projector.

Comment

Working...
            X