Profile strip mounting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile strip mounting?

I am building a set of light housing for my 2017 silverado tow mirrors, for the front facing lights. I got the 6" profile switchbacks, which are perfect length for what I want to do.

Quick run down of my intentions, I am opening up the housings and swapping to a smoked lens, as well as removing the OEM LEDs and installing two strips per side (see attached pic). My main question is in regard to mounting the strips. I know the tape thats on the back of the strips is pretty sticky and strong stuff, but should I trust it? Are there better ways to secure them without using wire?

I just never liked the look of the wire since you can see it when you look close and when they are on. Maybe a type of glue? They will be mounted to plastic, and if any drilling is required to mount them it will need to be sealed since the mounting surface is the back of the lens.

Thank you for any ideas.

i prefer 2-part clear epoxy, or store-purchased(ebay is too questionable) 3m VHB tape. this stuff:

i've done 2.5 work vans with that tape, one nearly a year ago now with zero issues.
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Would the tape and say some very thin fishing line work? I have some 8x tippet line that is around .003" and clear. Maybe that would be thin enough to not even see behind the lenses, yet strong enough to hold them sturdy. The tape would do most of the work but the line would add an added layer of security.

Does that sound like something that would work? Or should just the tape be enough?

Comment

the tape has been enough in the past for me. currently, it's the only thing holding the spoiler onto my car for the last 2 years.

Comment

Perhaps I'll give that a try then. They aren't too terrible to take apart if anything were to fall off. Thank you for the help. I'll post pictures once the project is complete.

Comment

I finally got everything I need to do this project. I've had all the parts for a while but I was waiting on painting my mirror caps so I would only need to take the mirrors apart once.

Well I dropped them off at a body shop after one attempt at me painting them. I must not have done the paint right or somthing because it was too light.

But I will be working on them this weekend and got to thinking about sealing the wires coming out the back of the lights. I thought about some rtv silicone, but I know some of it gasses off and can fog lenses.

Then I thought about hot glue. Would that work to seal around the wires? Or is there a preferred silicone or the like?

Comment

hot glue will melt under the sun and form a goop everywhere you don't want it to. there were some specific silicone's that work, but i can't remember any of them. a lot of people use the butyl rubber stuff-- the same as they use on headlights

Comment

I have some of that. Just mold it around the wires and pack it into the hole around the wires I would assume? Or is there a liquid version of it? I have the stuff trs sold before they sold their retro rubber

Comment

yep, that's what i'd recommend doing. you can also heat it up with a heat gun to make it flow a little better.

Comment

I got one side done tonight. I'm pleased with how it came out. I just used the tape on the back of the strip to mount them. They are easy enough to take apart if somthing happens with the tape.

Where I made the hole for the wiring to come out, I was able to thoroughly pack it with butyl, so there is no way I'll get a leak from that. I used a small wood dowel to push the butyl in the hole tightly.

Comment

Looks good!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Other side is done.

https://youtu.be/eQcP7Fc4V_A

Comment

Looks awesome. Love the color matched pieces, and the DRL function flows nicely with the OEM DRLs in the headlights. Nice work!

Comment

Working...
                          X