PHILIPS T20 WY21W X-treme Ultinon doesn't fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHILIPS T20 WY21W X-treme Ultinon doesn't fit

Hey guys, I just bought the T20 X-treme Ultinon amber for the 2005 Toyota Camry rear turn signals which use the 3157 base.

The Ultinon doesn't fit into the slot. It seems like the Ultinon base width thickness is a little larger than the socket that it goes into. Do I need to modify something?

T20 is a 7440/7443 base,not 3157
    Originally posted by HK45
    I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Yup, you bought the wrong product. You need 3157 bulbs.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Thanks, too bad the amber X-treme Ultinon doesn't come in a 3157 base. I guess I'm going have to see if I can mod it to get it to fit.

Comment

Rear turns are single filament so that would be 3156 as 3157 is dual filament for front.

But in any case, depending on your socket configuration you may be able to still use the T20 X-Ultinon. I have been successful putting them in the front 3157 sockets of our Dodge minivan. I was able to do so by removing the caps that protect the driver circuit boards. But know that even though they slid fine into the socket they weren't exactly tight and secure. However we have had no issues to report since I installed them a year and a half ago. And yes, for FRONT usage you lose the parking lights which I don't care about. The side markers in our headlamps are still active.

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Just to follow up. I bought and soldered the 3156 socket adapter to the 7440 socket. The 3156 plug into the taillight socket wiring and the other end 7440 is plug into the tail light.

Comment

Interesting. So what's the result?
              www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Odd, just looked up the bulb listings on Philips' lookup site and it does list 3157 for the turn signal...3157NA (amber/yellow) to be more specific,so it's definitely not one of those cars that use the same bulb for parking/brake/signal.
                Originally posted by HK45
                I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Interesting. So what's the result?
                  They work. The 7440 base doesn't snap into the tail light housing correctly but, nothing a little tape can't fix

Comment

Working...
                  X