Philips alternate H7 Ultinon LED 11972ULWX2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips alternate H7 Ultinon LED 11972ULWX2

Well we all know how Philips fell from grace when introducing their new line of LED bulbs and how the first H7 Ultinon (12985BWX2) turned out. 4 chips instead of 3, low quality connector and a fan. Basically generic Chinese level quality like all their other new PnP.

It appears that Philips decided to revise or at least offer an alternative with part number 11972ULWX2. They feature 3 chips on each side, have the "airflux technology" which means no fan and the driver is integrated into the body so no separate box.

https://www.philips.co.za/c-p/11972U...-bulb/overview

Still I don't expect them to perform. They only run at 14W but interestingly it is stated on the specs page that it is only suited for reflectors. The Russian guy with the Youtube channel (Test Lab) made a video about them (not a test) because a website tried to mislead people by posting fake test pictures using random images from the Test Lab guy. Nobody really tested them yet because they just came out.

Last edited by DontouchmyGLI; March 18th, 2018, 03:55 PM.

Interesting! 14W though, not promising. Got a link to Test Lab's video?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blwxUdFzR7Q&t=2s

Comment

Youtube russian to english autogenerated subtitles are getting better and better, I can actually understand now.
        2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
        1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Thanks! I hope he tests them soon. I'd like to try them as well.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Philips has made some adjustments to their automotive LED product lineup. X-treme Ultinon is their premium line while Ultinon is their budget friendly line. This applies mainly to Europe & Asia markets as here in North America it appears their still stuck on the Ultinon & Vision lines.

With the Ultinon budget line they have reduced power so that active cooling is no longer needed. A shorter lifespan (8 yrs instead of 12 yrs) is also what you sacrifice for trying to save a buck with the Ultinon.

I never caught the part about the Ultinon H7 being designed only for reflectors. Interesting. I would guess that the reason for this was that the high powered X-U was just too bright for reflectors causing a wash-out affect which results in too much glare. A reflector can only manage and control a light source up to a certain point. Eventually it can no longer maintain enough shade at the glare point to keep it from causing excessive glare.
            www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Well the X-treme doesn’t really exclude reflectors it says it is suited for both and the instructions even show both. Whereas the Ultinon specifically says it is not recommended for projectors. Maybe the only reason is that you lose light through a projector and 14W is already pretty low for reflectors?

Comment

Interesting. If these can work well in H7 projectors I imagine D2S would not be far behind.

Comment

Working...
                X