High-output LED fog lights for GMT 900 silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-output LED fog lights for GMT 900 silverado

I have an 09 silverado as a daily driver and want to change out my fog lights to amber LEDs. I realize amber substantially drops the output compared to white or even white with amber tinted-cover, but the deep-amber look is what i'm going for in poor visibility conditions.

My current setup is a modified OEM housing holding a Hella Micro DE with 3000K HID bulb. It's effective, but very much a yellow and not Amber light.

I originally attempted using TRS's silverado fogs with a custom Luxeon Rebel Amber LED chip set and while the pattern and color was excellent, the output just wasn't enough.

I'm considering an Amber dual-row 6" LED pod ideally with Rigid Industries SAE Lens. (so far I don't believe they make the SAE lights with amber LEDs.

Thoughts/suggestions?
    Formerly Radioflyer97, had to re-register.

When you say there isn't much light on the fog lights, or as much as you'd want how do you exactly mean that? I understand the basic principle but how much light exactly are you looking for and what specific scenarios do you wish you had more fog light intensity? I ask because generally you don't want too much. People often confuse brightness with performance and efficiency but that is seldom the case

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

I use my fog for adverse weather. Most of the time I can run low + fog with no issues and still have reasonable visibility. There are some instances (particularly night fog or heavy night rain) where even my retrofitted low beam headlights cause so much glare that they harm visibility. For those situations, an Amber (or selective yellow) fog light bright enough to effectively illuminate without the headlights is preferred.

The Morimoto fogs have excellent optics so If I can get the output level to something around 1000 lumens per housing, I would consider that sufficient to use in such conditions.
      Formerly Radioflyer97, had to re-register.

Comment

Originally posted by radioflyer86 View Post
        I have an 09 silverado as a daily driver and want to change out my fog lights to amber LEDs. I realize amber substantially drops the output compared to white or even white with amber tinted-cover, but the deep-amber look is what i'm going for in poor visibility conditions. My current setup is a modified OEM housing holding a Hella Micro DE with 3000K HID bulb. It's effective, but very much a yellow and not Amber light. I originally attempted using TRS's silverado fogs with a custom Luxeon Rebel Amber LED chip set and while the pattern and color was excellent, the output just wasn't enough. I'm considering an Amber dual-row 6" LED pod ideally with Rigid Industries SAE Lens. (so far I don't believe they make the SAE lights with amber LEDs. Thoughts/suggestions?
        What is wrong with yellow, or better with amber?

Comment

I don't believe that increasing light output for the fog lamps will improve visibility. In fact many studies have shown that fog lamps in general have no relative affect on a driver to aid them in responding to road conditions that will affect their safety. Because fog lamps are short range, you would never be able to respond quick enough if you were driving at normal speed. Also there continues to be a myth that selective yellow or any color variant closest to yellow, is best for fog visibility. I have seen no studies to show that this is scientifically proven.

I like this quote here:
          "Front fog lamps are designed primarily to increase driver comfort and security rather than to promote collision avoidance visibility."

Study #1
          www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

You mean, like, the name implies its use?

Comment

Working...
            X