Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We finally have a replacement for the older, high power Philips Vision T10s. Meet XenonDepot Xtreme T10s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We finally have a replacement for the older, high power Philips Vision T10s. Meet XenonDepot Xtreme T10s.

Back a couple years ago, the Philips Vision T10 with the gray stripe were very powerful. Unfortunately they were replaced with a new version with no stripe that are significantly dimmer. The brighter versions were gone for good. Luckily I had two sets in the MR2. When I bought two sets for the CT200h, they were the dimmer models. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the old ones were 50 lumens and the new ones are 40 lumens?

However, a replacement has come! XenonDepot has created a bulb very similar to the Philips Vision but instead of plastic, it uses ceramic with the diode mounted on the ceramic. It's advertised as 60 lumens and and a 5500K CREE chip. Here is a comparison to the old, bright Philips Vision T10s.

Ignore color temp in all photos other than the comparison, as the white balance was not locked.

Philips:

XD:

Here are underexposed images with the bulb laying perfectly flat, showing its beam pattern on the table.

Philips:

Damn near identical beam pattern wise, bu the XD is significantly brighter. The difference isn't huge however.

Now the color comparison. Output comparison isn't entirely fair since they're at different angles, the bottom (XD) has the upper hand due to a slightly closer angle. But the color is obvious.

Philips bulbs are a pure white with a touch of blue. XD bulbs are a pure white, no blue whatsoever. Big improvement.

At $13.49, they're cheaper than the Philips too. Perfect for exterior lighting. Might be a tad bright for interiors... the dimmer new Philips Visions are almost too bright pointing down in my Lexus map lights.

More testing to come! Gonna get shots in license plates, headlights, etc.
    Last edited by Haloruler64; September 26th, 2017, 06:20 PM.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Curious what the current draw and heat after xyz minutes is for each. I do like that there isn't any blue in the XD bulbs. Odd that one of the leads for the XD bulb isn't even completely bent 180 over the plastic.

Comment

Looking good!
      2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
      1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Nice option with good price.

Philips is 6000K so that's why its bluer. And it too also uses a ceramic infused casing.
        www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Originally posted by 16cx-5 View Post
          Curious what the current draw and heat after xyz minutes is for each. I do like that there isn't any blue in the XD bulbs. Odd that one of the leads for the XD bulb isn't even completely bent 180 over the plastic.
          Not sure about current draw. Heat is about the same on both, I left them on for 5 minutes and they were barely warm.

I think that pin was bent after I installed it in the MR2 socket. It was a bit of a tight fit. That photo wasn't new out of the box.

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
          Looking good!
          Definitely

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
          Nice option with good price. Philips is 6000K so that's why its bluer. And it too also uses a ceramic infused casing.
          Interesting, didn't know Philips used ceramic. The two bulbs have different sounds tapping them with a nail. The thing about 6000K is, that figure varies between manufacturers so it's not something to be trusted. Diode Dynamics halos are a perfect white but labeled 6000K. XSB halos are very bluish but labeled 6000K. Philips 194s are a touch bluish but labeled 6000K.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

How do they compare to Diode Dynamics HP3 and HP5? I have them in Amber, Red, and White (4000K) and they've been really good.

Comment

I've never had a chance to try the DD T10s unfortunately. Diode doesn't give lumen numbers for either the HP3 or HP5 though so it's hard to say. I like that there are plenty of color options though.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

They rate the HP5s at 92 lumens, I can't find anything on the HP3 but I'd assume 40-50. They're brighter than incandescent but not super bright. I chose those for my license plate lights because I wanted LED but not to make my plate any more conspicuous than necessary

Comment

92, damn. Not bad! The XD are rated at 60 I believe. They're damn bright. I think incandescent is rated at 10 lumens?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I've got the old Philips with the gray stripe in my plate lights and love them. Perfect color (slight bluish) and brightness (only a little brighter than incandescent) IMO, a shame they stopped making them.

Comment

Yeah, that's why I'm happy XD stepped up. The new Philips are significantly dimmer.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        I've got the old Philips with the gray stripe in my plate lights and love them. Perfect color (slight bluish) and brightness (only a little brighter than incandescent) IMO, a shame they stopped making them.
                        Same here. Got'em in mine and the wifeys.

I see their still available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Xtrem.../dp/B00OYT1322
                        www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Huh that's cool, didn't know you can still get them! But I don't see the point if for $8 less you can get slightly brighter bulbs without blue tint. Shame the XD are a bit too bright for interior use, considering the DD HP3 specifically because they're a bit dimmer and come in 5000K.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

If XD would offer festoon bulbs to match I'd order them and some of those T10's...Phillips festoons are barely brighter than stock :-(
                            Originally posted by HK45
                            I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Yeah I hate the festoons. I'm really hoping XD can make festoons with the same chips AND make T10s at 25-30 lumens for interiors.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                              X