No announcement yet.

OEM LED headlamps: the past, present and future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't have too much of an issue with the yellow lines being washed out, but the Koito's definitely have more foreground over the RX350's I used to have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

• I guess the difference is I drove the RX350 with the Bi-LEDs. The height probably greatly reduces foreground.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

• Originally posted by evo77 View Post
        And they apparently also have a reflector version. Will be interesting to see what the production models end up with.
        lol, love the bungee cord
        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

• Originally posted by ileopard View Post
          I personally have very little interest in anything refector based. From the few I've seen on the road, particularly Civic and Accord, they have quite a lot of foreground and poor beam control along the cutoff. Larger surface area also contributed to more glare. But man, all these advances are pretty exciting. We really are stepping into the LED transition period. Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
          My buddy has a 2017 Civic Sport Touring hatchback, and the LED reflector headlights are terrible. They spray lots of light above the cutoff, and the beam pattern itself is just a blotchy mess. They'd look good coming down the road if they weren't so blinding...The newer Accords with LED's aren't much better in terms of output, but at least they don't seem to glare as much.

Comment

• Originally posted by th23 View Post
            My buddy has a 2017 Civic Sport Touring hatchback, and the LED reflector headlights are terrible. They spray lots of light above the cutoff, and the beam pattern itself is just a blotchy mess. They'd look good coming down the road if they weren't so blinding...The newer Accords with LED's aren't much better in terms of output, but at least they don't seem to glare as much.
            I agree. I had a car behind me about a week ago. I could have sworn the dude was rocking PnP LED but to my surprise, it was an Accord.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

• 2018 Ford Mustang (bi-functional LED projector - Koito)

2018 Jeep Wrangler (dual beam LED projector)

2018 Kia Optima (mono LED projector low beam / mono LED projector high beam)

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

• Very interesting setup on the Kia

What do you guys think about the OEM LED headlights on the F30 BMW 3 series? They are reflectors

Comment

• the bmw stuff seems to be decent, but they as a company have had a lot more experience with routing light the way they want it with their previous led halo designs.. these other companies seem to be fitting the led's more to stylistic design decisions than bmw has been.
                  The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

• The BMW F30 headlights are cheaper version of their 7 series LED-Laser headlight. The overall design is exactly the same. They are good, but could have been wider. BMW chose have the headlight turn all the time than just making it wider. It would have been great if they made it wider with the turning feature. It's also an adaptive headlight. Most probably manufactured in China as the good old Chinese had replicas of this for over an year now. But the pricing is close to $600 or more. There was also a US seller who got it from China & re-branded it. I don't exactly remember who though. The Chinese led version unfortunately seems to be an epic fail. The laser version has a very similar high beam pattern as the Koito Bi-led. The lumen claim were around 10-15000lm.

Comment

• Originally posted by th23 View Post
                      Oh this kind of tears me!. I remember reading the statement of Koito engineers a month or 2 ago. They said they were trying to bring down the cost, weight and power consumption of the headlights. They were proudly claiming they were going to use low current leds & do away without fans. Initially I was happy about this too, but it struck me like a bolt of lightening that they had not mentioned anything about better illumination!. My fears are now confirmed by you!. In the post they claimed that poly ellipsoidal systems (like the bi-led projector) have inherent design limitations that avoid it from being cheaper and less power consuming, hence they were switching to LED reflector design. This they claim attracts automobile manufacturers (probably so that the manufacturer can have higher profits while selling the car at the same price as a projector model).

I just don't understand how can they want anything less than 28w of power consumption with great performance!. They are ready to make a less effective headlight that's less safe for the end user.
                      The worst part is, these can't be even upgraded with retrofits as we normally do.

The way the OEM auto lighting industry is going clearly suggests that they don't care about the retrofit industry. For the end user that is an issue because the OEMs aren't even providing the better performance they are supposed to. We need laws that set minimum limits more than ones that set maximum ones.

I wanted to start a thread like this as soon as I joined hidplanet. But thankfully someone has. The way I see it, the OEMs are simply not doing enough where it really matters.

Comment

• evo77 By any chance is the aftermarket optima bi-led projector based on any version of the Kia optima oem headlight?. If so how which one?.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr.LuX View Post
                          evo77 By any chance is the aftermarket optima bi-led projector based on any version of the Kia optima oem headlight?. If so how which one?
                          Unfortunately using the forum to upload attachments does not work, so we cannot see the image. You will need to post the images using the original image path or upload them to a image hosting site like imgur or postimg.org.

The answer to your question is NO. The aftermarket Russian auto light retailer, Optima, has no relation to the Kia Optima car brand.
                          www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

• Oh, thanks for pointing that out, just made an imgur account!. By the way, don't you agree that retrofits are becoming more and more difficult?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr.LuX View Post
                              Oh, thanks for pointing that out, just made an imgur account!.
                              Google account seem to work too.

Originally posted by Dr.LuX View Post
                              By the way, don't you agree that retrofits are becoming more and more difficult?
                              With the very large OE heatsink and headlight-specific form factors, yes. My statement excludes the simpler dual ellipsoid type LED projectors, of course.
                              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
                                Google account seem to work too. With the very large OE heatsink and headlight-specific form factors, yes. My statement excludes the simpler dual ellipsoid type LED projectors, of course.
                                Thanks for the mention. The problem is that headlights like that of the 2017 civic sport are too thin to retrofit. Dual ellipsoidal led projectors are being made away with as in the case of the 2017 civic sport.

Headlight performance should be an OEM's prime priority, but rather unfortunately styling is their prime priority. I still wouldn't mind that as long as they kept it easy to retrofit & upgrade them.

The best examples for this are probably the zero sr 2017 vs ktm duke 390 2017. The zero sr has a halogen headlight despite being an electric motorcycle. It can be easily upgraded to any hid or led projector. The ktm duke 390 2017 comes with poor performing but cool looking led headlights. They can never be upgraded to a projector retrofit. The first impression of the d390 is better than that of the zsr, this could help the bike get sold easily, but in the long run people are stuck with a poor performer who can't be improved.

There needs to be a change in attitude, but that won't happen unless the money hungry companies see more money or are forced to do it by law. This is why we need the governments to take these matters more seriously and make regulations and educate people.

Comment

Working...
                                X