No announcement yet.

OEM LED headlamps: the past, present and future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All we need now is a powerful GPU (i.e. the processor for handling video display), an SLR-like light sensor (to sense the environment), and a 4K pixel LED emitter array, each with their own lens, to produce an arbitrary beam pattern on demand.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      Of course, we're not talking $500 budget DSLRs here.
      that's all i know. i've never dealt with anything over $500 when it comes to cameras.
      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Ah yeah. I mean I used a budget Nikon D3100 for 7 years. It took significantly better photos than even the best phones 90% of the time, but the D7200 I have now is such a huge huge huge step up. Even though it's still APS-C, the photo quality just POPS.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

i've considered getting a really nice camera, my dillema though is that my xs-i is still fully functional, and has depreciated so hard it's hardly worth selling...

Comment

I wouldn't recommend it unless you feel like your skill/needs exceed your current camera. I was using a D3100 for 7 years or so, and it's as budget as you get. Many mirrorless cameras easily outperformed it. But it suited me. I finally upgraded due to feeling I finally needed more, plus my birthday, plus a great deal was found.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

yeah, the only thing i really miss that newer/better cameras have is the higher capture rate.

Comment

I never had a need for that, since I did mostly nature photography. I was missing mirror lock, exposure delay, auto bracketing, and a lot more stuff that budget DSLRs can't do or do poorly. Much of this can even be done by mirrorless cameras on the budget side.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                  honestly though, the camera phone chips are getting so good, they are starting to hurt slr sales. it used to be phone camera's were so bad, you needed an slr for decent shots. now, i can't tell the difference between something shot on a phone camera and most slr's. i know there's a difference in pixel count and low light noise. but for the most part, neither of those matter until you'r either constantly shooting at night, or need to blow the image up to fill large posters or whatever.
                  A big part of the closing gap is how people look at photos. Most people look at photos at "phone size". The lower the viewing size of a photo the easier it is to get satisfactory image quality. Blow both photos up on a 50" 4K screem and the difference becomes apparent. But nobody besides geeks with more money than sense like myself do that.

Plus those cheapo Costco kits come with lenses that are so slow cameraphone lenses honestly put nearly as much light on the sensor. Cameraphone sensors also have tech that SLR sensors don't, further closing the gap. I still enjoy the versatility of multiple lenses, and my camera has a full frame sensor, but the advances cameraphones are making are hard to fault.

Comment

My Mate 9 has a Leica dual camera setup with optical image stabilization. It's incredible, not just for a phone, but overall. Still, my new 50mm f/1.2 makes me wet in the pants.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

you number your friends? seems kinda sheldon-ish

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
                        Holy Cow, look at the solder work on that tiny chip.
                        I highly doubt all this stuff can be implemented for aftermarket since OEMs use many microprocessors to make it all fully work.

All of a sudden HID seems so simple, haha.
                        Yep. There's some people trying though. But indeed, HID is extremely simple, LED offers so much more control and flexibility for lighting engineers.

A few unique LED optic designs are missing from this thread. Hint: Acura and Cadillac !

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                          All we need now is a powerful GPU (i.e. the processor for handling video display), an SLR-like light sensor (to sense the environment), and a 4K pixel LED emitter array, each with their own lens, to produce an arbitrary beam pattern on demand.
                          I thought I read somewhere that BMW was working on just that - the system is supposed to say, track individual raindrops or snowflakes and turn off the relevant "pixels" so that you didn't get that backscatter light, at least close to the car. Take that one step further and you could turn off relevant pixels for oncoming traffic, pedestrians, and so on and you could have "high beams" on all the time.

I also remember seeing a video on Audi headlights where the vehicle is supposed to detect pedestrians and flash a headlight pixel at them to get their attention to make sure the pedestrian is aware of the vehicle.
                          2001 Dodge Ram; TRS Mini D2S (X-lens) install
                          1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Infiniti G37 install
                          1998 BMW 540i (E39); Lexus RX350 install

Comment

Originally posted by JaimeZX View Post
                            I also remember seeing a video on Audi headlights where the vehicle is supposed to detect pedestrians and flash a headlight pixel at them to get their attention to make sure the pedestrian is aware of the vehicle.
                            Yes on the latter, but I believe the first one, that can track individual raindrops, was a proof of concept tested against a "sheet" of rain. In other words, the particles to avoid (i.e. rain drops) are arranged along a curtain-like plane in front of the headlight. I'm not sure how feasible it is when dealing with real "3D" rain.
                            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Right. Obviously it's an incredibly complex task. Suspect they'd only be able to pull it off for the drops within a short distance from the lens. Plus there'd be the issue with water ON the lens blurring the image. Still, if they could pull off 5-10 feet, that'd be tremendously helpful in reducing glare.
                              2001 Dodge Ram; TRS Mini D2S (X-lens) install
                              1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Infiniti G37 install
                              1998 BMW 540i (E39); Lexus RX350 install

Comment

Ok I don't know if this has been discussed before. Why oem led setups are in range of 6500k+ kelvin? Maybe this color range offer better CRI in leds? Ofcourse currently cost is not a concern for good oem led setup. Maybe it also add to bling factor also? Cool color range offering exotic looks.
                                My feedback thread
                                https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...for-mayurhuria

Comment

Working...
                                X