OEM LED headlamps: the past, present and future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kangur View Post
    I understand that Koito is equipping vehicles with biled projectors since 2014/2015. Do they still put that same projector module to cars made in 2018 or is it somehow modified/upgraded version of an original product?
    As far as I know, yes. I bought a 17-18 Subaru Forester headlamp last year and it was the same Koito biled as all the others.

Comment

• Originally posted by evo77 View Post

As far as I know, yes. I bought a 17-18 Subaru Forester headlamp last year and it was the same Koito biled as all the others.
      Subaru seems to be 3A version of Koito biLED, same as Suzuki, using Toyoda Gosei chips. Toyota/Lexus use 1A version with Nichia chip

Comment

• Originally posted by Meatball View Post

Subaru seems to be 3A version of Koito biLED, same as Suzuki, using Toyoda Gosei chips. Toyota/Lexus use 1A version with Nichia chip
        How can you confirm that the 3A version is using a Toyoda Gosei chip? This doesn't look like anything they have in their portfolio and to my knowledge, the only headlamp package Toyoda Gosei offers is the one found on the Subaru.

I've been trying to identify this chip maker but have come up empty. It looks like Osram but Osram does not offer a 6-chip headlamp LED package.

Here is the Toyoda Gosei from the Subaru...

Comment

• Cant confirm 100%, thats what i know from the guy that worked for Koito, for me it looks like some Oslon too (that little cuts in corners of each chip) or Toyoda copied/adopted osram design?
          So far it wasnt nessesary for me to know manufacturer, as they wouldnt sell me any chip

Comment

• Does someone know what projectors Mazda used for the 2019 model 3? I just ordered one and so I'm curious about it.

Comment

• Should be Koito bi-LED. They look great

Comment

• Probably Koito?
                2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

• Originally posted by Markie View Post
                  Does someone know what projectors Mazda used for the 2019 model 3? I just ordered one and so I'm curious about it.
                  Stanley is the usual lighting provider for Mazda with some vehicles using Koito. I can't find any closeups of the headlamp lens to see if there is the signature Stanley name embossed on the lens. When your car comes in, or next time your at the dealer, look at the lens to see what the markings indicate.

It looks like the European version of the 3 has a different LED headlamp which has a inner projector, perhaps for the high beam or supplemental beam. Doesn't feel like a Stanley-ish design (at least for the Euro market version) but I could be wrong.

Comment

• The European version is different I think indeed. If you watch this vid you can see it has a little color flicker in oem setting. I also find an other vid with a night time drive
                    Also european version. It looks like it have a nice cutoff, but I need to wait untill 20th of june to find it out myself. I keep you updated.

Edit: Can't display vid on my message.

Second edit: Now they work. Strange.
                    Last edited by Markie; June 3rd, 2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• I ve got a clear pic!

Comment

• At the bottom of the lens I see some writing but can't make it out. Is it Stanley?

Comment

• I still don't know! Received this pic from an owner.

This is the backside:

Comment

• Yeah, can't tell from that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Markie View Post
                              Does someone know what projectors Mazda used for the 2019 model 3? I just ordered one and so I'm curious about it.
                              So interestingly enough the 19 Mazda 3 has two different LED headlights. You have to look veeery closely to notice the slight variations in the inner bezel design. However the actual LED module is the same for both.

And the winner is...

This Koito biled is not the same biled we are used to seeing in the Prius and other Toyota/Lexus vehicles. It's not even the 2019 2.0 version. It appears to be another variant as the high beam is not activated by a shield but rather a separate LED array.

Comment

• I sow somewhere (propoably pdf file) a sheme of such projector with led array, it was solid - without internal driver - just like 2014 IF-S Koito bileds, ALS led array just under lens.

Comment

Working...
                                X