No announcement yet.

OEM LED headlamps: the past, present and future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross (mono LED low beam / mono LED high beam) *interestingly the low beams are the inside projectors instead of the outside like every other headlamp

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

• 2017-18 Mini Countryman (bi-functional LED projector - AL-Automotive Lighting) *all other Mini models use the well known biled from Valeo

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
        That is, until some manufacturer decides to readjust the LED controller to push full intensity after around 15 minutes, and remain in over drive for a duration more or less equal to a typical testing.
        Congrats, you just got yourself a job at Volkswagen!

Comment

• Originally posted by evo77 View Post
          2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross (mono LED low beam / mono LED high beam) *interestingly the low beams are the inside projectors instead of the outside like every other headlamp
          Odd. Thanks for pointing that out. I always thought since low beams see more use than high beams, having them as far as possible to the sides allow oncoming traffic and those looking in the rearview mirror a better estimate of how far your vehicle is at night. That is, after allowing for the range of width of various vehicles.

Originally posted by sportyaccordy View Post
          Congrats, you just got yourself a job at Volkswagen!
          Sssshhh

(no, I don't work in the automotive industry)
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• But most importantly, a wider beam spread when the low beams are farther apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by th23 View Post
              My buddy has a 2017 Civic Sport Touring hatchback, and the LED reflector headlights are terrible. They spray lots of light above the cutoff, and the beam pattern itself is just a blotchy mess. They'd look good coming down the road if they weren't so blinding...The newer Accords with LED's aren't much better in terms of output, but at least they don't seem to glare as much.
              The 17 Accord coupes headlights glare quite a bit too but the lowbeam output itself is extremely good in my opinion. They produce a beam wider that most HID projectors, and have a very intense hotspot that reaches a long way out ahead. I had the chance to compare my Accords headlights to my brothers 17 F150 with OEM LEDs and on lowbeam the Accord will nearly drown out the F150's beam.
              Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ImagioX1 View Post
                The 17 Accord coupes headlights glare quite a bit too but the lowbeam output itself is extremely good in my opinion. They produce a beam wider that most HID projectors, and have a very intense hotspot that reaches a long way out ahead. I had the chance to compare my Accords headlights to my brothers 17 F150 with OEM LEDs and on lowbeam the Accord will nearly drown out the F150's beam.
                Yeah, your Accord's LED headlights aren't that bad, and the 10th gen's are even better. They're superior to the Civic's LED headlights from what I've seen of my buddy's car. His car's headlights against a garage door produce the kind of beam pattern that you'd expect to see after installing cheap PnP LED bulbs into a 1999 Civic's reflector halogen housings. The glare above the cutoff is out of control and the hotspot is just a rectangular blob of light on each side. Not only is the beam pattern a mess, but they're waaayyy too blue. They're easily 6000-6500K. The new 10th gen Accord's LED headlights seem to be a bit warmer (5000-5500K), so it appears that Honda is learning from its mistakes with the Civic (which I think was the first Honda vehicle with reflector-based LED headlights besides the 2016 Accord). No doubt that Honda is going to fix the Civic's headlights for the refresh with better glare control and warmer color output. That Poor rating from the IIHS that keeps the Civic from getting a TSP+ rating is probably driving them nuts right now.

On a side note, I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of inconsistency with the new Accord's headlights. The hotspot of each headlight is often shaped differently and/or aligned differently despite proper aim. I've even seen differences in brightness between each side. I can imagine that even a slight misalignment of an LED with its respective reflector bowl could have a significant impact on the beam pattern and that definitely seems to be the case here.

Comment

• ^^that's crazy. there shouldn't be ANY inconsistency between headlamps on different cars... someone has some serious production issues... you're right that only a small reflector alignment difference should be able to affect it, but manufacturing tolerances should be well above that level.

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
                  2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross *interestingly the low beams are the inside projectors instead of the outside like every other headlamp
                  this is going to get a lot of people highbeamed for everyone thinking their using the wrong beams in traffic... stupid design decision IMO...
                  The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

• 2017-18 Infiniti Q60 (LED low beam projector / reflector LED high beam - Koito)

2018 Infiniti QX80 (LED low beam projector / reflector LED high beam - Koito) *same as 17-18 Infiniti Q60

2017-18 Infiniti QX30 (biLED projector by Valeo)

Comment

• Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      ^^that's crazy. there shouldn't be ANY inconsistency between headlamps on different cars... someone has some serious production issues... you're right that only a small reflector alignment difference should be able to affect it, but manufacturing tolerances should be well above that level. this is going to get a lot of people highbeamed for everyone thinking their using the wrong beams in traffic... stupid design decision IMO...
                      You'd think that would be the case, but it happens. Just ask Imagio. The driver's side headlight on his old 2016 (he has a 2017 now) Accord Touring coupe had a hotspot that was much lower than it was supposed to be. It was bizarre to say the least.

As for that Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross thing, it reminds me of the last-gen (2010-ish) Lexus RX which looked pretty goofy at night because its low beams on some models were inboard of the high beams. I'd love to know what they were thinking. I have a feeling the design team won a bet against the engineers on that one as that had to be a purely aesthetic choice rather than a functional one.

Comment

2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross (mono LED low beam / mono LED high beam) *interestingly the low beams are the inside projectors instead of the outside like every other headlamp
                        Originally posted by th23 View Post
                        As for that Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross thing, it reminds me of the last-gen (2010-ish) Lexus RX which looked pretty goofy at night because its low beams on some models were inboard of the high beams. I'd love to know what they were thinking. I have a feeling the design team won a bet against the engineers on that one as that had to be a purely aesthetic choice rather than a functional one.

I was just checking fmvss #108 (link here); the following seem to suggest that low beam on the outermost is non-negotiable in this situation:
                        S6.1.3 Mounting location.
                        S6.1.3.5 Headlamp beam mounting.
                        S6.1.3.5.2 Horizontal headlamp arrangement.
                        S6.1.3.5.2.1 Where multiple headlamps with single light sources are installed in a horizontal orientation the lower beam must be provided by the most outboard headlamp.

Comment

• Good catch. However S6.1.3.5.2.1 may refer to sealed beam headlamps.

And rather S6.1.3.5.2.2 may be the correct code:
                          Where headlamps with two horizontally oriented light sources are installed the lower beam must be provided by the outboard light source or by all light sources

Unless this still refers to a sealed beam or other designated headlamp type, I don't know if this is just a goof of the lamp manufacturer supplier for Mitsu and the design team just missed this US requirement.

Comment

Good catch. However S6.1.3.5.2.1 may refer to sealed beam headlamps.
                            Yes, there's a lot of sealed beam in the language, but I assumed that's because the code is rather antiquated.

And rather S6.1.3.5.2.2 may be the correct code: Where headlamps with two horizontally oriented light sources are installed the lower beam must be provided by the outboard light source or by all light sources Unless this still refers to a sealed beam or other designated headlamp type,
                            I saw that too, but my lay person reading of it sounds the same to me as the other one.

I don't know if this is just a goof of the lamp manufacturer supplier for Mitsu and the design team just missed this US requirement.
                            Wouldn't that be rather unlikely?

Comment

• Lexus got away with it somehow with the 2010 RX 350 lol

https://youtu.be/SdnGhciE5AI?t=1m27s

Comment

• I understand that Koito is equipping vehicles with biled projectors since 2014/2015. Do they still put that same projector module to cars made in 2018 or is it somehow modified/upgraded version of an original product?

Comment

Working...
                                X