Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Headlight Flickers when turned off

Hello all,

I have a strange issue that I am looking for advice on. I recently installed LED headlights on the high beam for my 2002 Toyota Highlander. The lights work great but one of them strobes when the lights are off and the key is out of the ignition. I cant seem to find any info on what is causing this or a remedy. I can only find info on what to do if the flicker while turned on. The kit is the OPT7 from Amazon. I have these lights plugged into the factory connectors with no caps or relay harness.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well first of all the OPT7 LED kit isn't preferred as choice for upgrading headlights on here. I would suggest returning the LED kit and either research retrofitting your headlights or having a professional do them. If retrofitting isn't what you want, depending on what bulb is in your high beam you can refer to this guide on upgrading your halogen high beam bulb.

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-halogen-bulbs

As for the actual issue, it could be a few things, I would test the factory leads to the led plug with a multimeter and see if there is any voltage there. My old car had constant power going to the low beam and it was the ground wire that was the switch to activate the lights. If that is the case see if there is any reading on the ground wire. Not sure if that is what is going on with your high beam but first try that. Also try swapping the bulb to the other side and see if the issue follows. If it follows them probably something wrong with the LED driver.

Comment

Yes I know that the kit I have is not the best but I have them on 2 other cars and have been great. Plus this is a 15 year old car and I cannot justify spending more than I did on better lights.
      I will swap to other side and test connection with meter. I have heard that adding a resistor may do the trick any thoughts?

Comment

Pklemm put it a little lightly. LED kits like that are a bad idea. You're blinding oncoming traffic.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

I'm too nice 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
            Pklemm put it a little lightly. LED kits like that are a bad idea. You're blinding oncoming traffic.
            While I completely agree that this is an awful idea, he did say that they are in his high beam location. Let's just hope he didn't make the same mistake for the low beam.

Comment

LED's don't provide a properly functional high beam pattern which is as bad or worse than bad low beams since high beams are needed to reach and I guarantee those LED high beams are not producing the same kind of long range spot that the halogen bulbs produced.
              2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
              1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Whoops, high beam. That's not as bad. Performance is worsened, but at least they're not a detriment to safety. But yes, LEDs will most likely perform worse than halogens in the high beam bowl.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

not being able to see far enough when you need to, like when you use high beams, IS a detriment to safety.
                  2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                  1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

I mean, kinda. The low beams stay on with high beams on the Highlander. It ain't gonna kill you, though I do agree worsening lighting equipment IS a safety risk.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Classic symptoms of crappy LEDs unfortunately. Waste of money. How many thousands of lumens did the ad promise? You can't have that many without proper cooling and quality hardware.
                      What is the bulb? 9005? Put 9011 (a.k.a. HIR1) bulbs in.

Comment

Working...
                      X