Best overall H7 Bulb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackPuma View Post
    Haha i agree... if i found the way to do it i would have done it: Easier for me and for you guys.
    You can click the button to the right of Reply With Quote called Multi-Quote This Message so you can reply to multiple posts in one post.

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

this is from 6 yrs ago...
      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ns-retro-W-HID

AKA Jimmy K

Comment

Originally posted by ICSNO View Post
        From what I've read, the best bulb I know of is http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html << this one. I'm no halogen expert though.
        These are what I run in conjunction with my projector set up (just how the headlights are). Color isnt great but good god the output is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by JonMS View Post
          These are what I run in conjunction with my projector set up (just how the headlights are). Color isnt great but good god the output is amazing.
          Did you need to upgrade your factory harness to run the 10 extra watt?
          will it be safe for the headlamp? Don't want to burn the inside.
          Is the output color white or more like yellowish(factory bulbs) ?
          Thank you for your help I appreciate

Comment

Sorry for the bump but a friend bought a 2005 mazda 3 with pnp hid (can't confirm now ill see by myseld tomorow) they are H7 based on sylvania , so I'm wondering which one to use : Osram 64217 or the Philips Xtrem

I'm looking for longevity mostly.

Comment

Philips Xtremepower +100 is the brightest, legal halogen bulb in Europe. It was just tested along with many other bulbs by an independent agency here in Denmark, and won by a fair margin.

It's not a "long life" bulb, if you're looking for long bulb life, stay away from bright bulbs, and instead buy bulbs that specifically says long life. I ran Xtremepower in my previous car, and they lasted three years with lowbeam also being DRL (mandantory), in a reflector headlight. On cars with overvoltage in their electrical systems (here, Peugeots are famed for that), performance bulbs may last as little as a month. Osram Nightbreaker has considerably shorter life span than Xtremepower.

Comment

Well, my Osram H7 "Hyper" bulbs now have about 5 years on them. It has also been over 5 years since the last comment on this thread. My Hyundai Genesis uses these H7 bulbs for the daylight running lamps, as well as the high beams, so these bulbs have been in continual use for 5 years. The car now has 117,000 miles on it.

I guess I have a couple questions relative to this:

1. How much brightness do you think these bulbs may have lost by now? They do seem a bit subdued to me, but, surprisingly, neither one of them has burned out.

2. Since the "Hyper" H7(which had the H9 burner on it) is no longer available, what is the best alternative these days. And, would that alternative be brighter/better than my 5 year old H7 "Hyper" bulbs?

Thanks much for any info!

Comment

They likely lost quite a bit of brightness. Candlepower seems to believe that this Vosla is an equivalent.

https://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                  2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                    They likely lost quite a bit of brightness. Candlepower seems to believe that this Vosla is an equivalent.

https://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html
                    Thanks. Yes, they say those Vosla don't have quite the lumens of the H7 Rallye, but the pattern is better. I was wondering if there is anything else out there.

What I really need is to employ a heavy duty wiring harness on the Genesis for just the H7 high beams, but when I looked into doing that several years ago, it looked like it was going to be so difficult that I gave up on the idea.

Comment

I made my own, it's not that hard. But you can always just buy a TRS or XenonDepot harness.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I made my own, it's not that hard. But you can always just buy a TRS or XenonDepot harness.
                        Thanks. I would need one with the heavy duty relays included. Do you know of a pre-made heavy duty harness with two heavy duty H7 sockets and relays on it?

Also, the area around the high beam sockets is so cramped that I wasn't sure if I could make a harness work because the heavy duty H7 sockets are larger than stock.

Comment

I'm not sure what really makes a "heavy duty" harness. A regular harness from a reputable brand should be plenty thick enough to prevent major voltage drop. I mean, what will be the difference between a regular harness and a heavy duty one, 0.3V? Unless you're running 100W bulbs for high beams or something.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I'm not sure what really makes a "heavy duty" harness. A regular harness from a reputable brand should be plenty thick enough to prevent major voltage drop. I mean, what will be the difference between a regular harness and a heavy duty one, 0.3V? Unless you're running 100W bulbs for high beams or something.
                            Thanks. I looked at TRS and XenonDepot, and all of the shown harnesses are called "HID" harnesses. I am looking for a harness for my halogen H7 bulbs. Will these harnesses also work in that application? Here is the only H7 harness that TRS shows on their web site:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hd-relay-h7.html

First, the description talks about how the output is compatible with HID ballasts, but there will be no ballast involved in my setup. Secondly, I wasn't sure if such relay harnesses would work in my situation. I actually don't see how this harness will work, because I don't see the connectors to connect to the existing bulb sockets.

Comment

Yep, a harness is a harness. All wiring.

XenonDepot harnesses are the better product, because there's a separate harness per side that has a separate fuse and input. Much better than TRS using one input and one fuse. HOWEVER, and this is a big however, XD harness only comes in 9006 because it's meant to be used with PNP bulbs that have the built in 9006 adapters to your specific plug. TRS harnesses are made for the plug, in this case H7. However, both output 9006 so you'll need adapters anyway.

TRS plugs into one side of your existing socket, then has a battery positive and two grounds and two 9006 outputs to your ballasts or bulbs. Again, power is power, wiring is wiring. Nothing here is HID excusive. What I'd do is get either harness, cut off the 9006 outputs, and attach H7 outputs. Or buy adapters, TRS sells adapters from 9006 to H7.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Yep, a harness is a harness. All wiring.

XenonDepot harnesses are the better product, because there's a separate harness per side that has a separate fuse and input. Much better than TRS using one input and one fuse. HOWEVER, and this is a big however, XD harness only comes in 9006 because it's meant to be used with PNP bulbs that have the built in 9006 adapters to your specific plug. TRS harnesses are made for the plug, in this case H7. However, both output 9006 so you'll need adapters anyway.

TRS plugs into one side of your existing socket, then has a battery positive and two grounds and two 9006 outputs to your ballasts or bulbs. Again, power is power, wiring is wiring. Nothing here is HID excusive. What I'd do is get either harness, cut off the 9006 outputs, and attach H7 outputs. Or buy adapters, TRS sells adapters from 9006 to H7.
                                Thanks, I'm going to have to take another look at the high beam setup on my Genesis. I think part of the problem was that all the light wiring was contained inside an enclosed cavity which also housed the bulbs. I wasn't sure how I would be able to get in there and connect things.

Comment

Working...
                                X