Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best overall H7 Bulb

Hello Halogen Fanatics,
    I did some research on various website for a h7 bulb (candlepower etc...) But i would like to get feedback from Halogen bulb expert .
    Most website recommend Philipps xtreme power and Narva Rangepower. i was thinking doing the The retrofit source H7 hid conversion kit but i read that it is not great coz it will blind oncoming traffic.
    My headlights are h7 projector headlights (Mercedes). What do you guys think ? I'm open to any bulbs.

Thanks for your help!

From what I've read, the best bulb I know of is http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html << this one. I'm no halogen expert though.

Comment

I'm not sure if they make an osram night breaker in h7 but that's what I recommend
      FXR 3.0, Osram 66240, morimoto 5five ballasts
      Matchbox projectors for hi beam, 35w 4300k
      Is300 fogs, 100w halogens
      Originally posted by phantom240
      Having spent a good many days helping my friend with his '85 300SDL, I can say that it takes balls of steel, an anus of concrete, and infinite patience to bring one of these Deutschland Demons back to life.

Comment

Honestly,

I've been working in this Automotive Lighting industry for five years and have been disappointed how they are treating the customer.
        Many Halogens bulbs are being poorly made due to the immense demand for a cheaper price.

Please do not use HID conversion kit in your car because it will blind the drivers on the road. HID' Kits change the focus and direction of the light.

I won't tell you what brand to buy, since I working in the industry and I prefer the customer to decide. If you are looking for Xenon White color I would look online with a
        Price Range $30-40 - Try to stay with 55w, but if you need more light output go with 70w. If you go with any higher your going to have to upgrade your wires and sockets.

Comment

Originally posted by ICSNO View Post
          From what I've read, the best bulb I know of is http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html << this one. I'm no halogen expert though.
          Thank you for your help! I didn't mention those because i think they are not street legal DOT, am i right ?

Originally posted by Pickles View Post
          I'm not sure if they make an osram night breaker in h7 but that's what I recommend
          Thank you for your help! i'm going to look into those as they exist! Do you have any recommendation for h7 foglight bulb?
          Living in Florida, there is heavy rain and fog: you can't see anything... would a yellow tint bulb help? What do you think?

Originally posted by Pabs46 View Post
          Honestly,

I've been working in this Automotive Lighting industry for five years and have been disappointed how they are treating the customer.
          Many Halogens bulbs are being poorly made due to the immense demand for a cheaper price.

Please do not use HID conversion kit in your car because it will blind the drivers on the road. HID' Kits change the focus and direction of the light.

I won't tell you what brand to buy, since I working in the industry and I prefer the customer to decide. If you are looking for Xenon White color I would look online with a
          Price Range $30-40 - Try to stay with 55w, but if you need more light output go with 70w. If you go with any higher your going to have to upgrade your wires and sockets.
          Thank you for your help! That's for sure i'm not going to buy a hid conversion kit because i'm not going to see better, its not street legal and i'll blind other drivers.
          Concerning higher wattage bulb, would it legal to run a bulb with higher wattage than a standard h7 bulb? Where could i find the harness for higher wattage bulb ?
          Last edited by gold94corolla; July 20th, 2013, 08:51 PM. Reason: merged......

Comment

Had those in my 08 Rabbit while I did my retro. Really really bright, I loved them. Slightly yellower (nothing drastic) but that made them really good in the rain. I did get flashed a couple times, but that was mostly cresting a hill and they were below my cutoff, where I normally would not have.

I do reccomened them, but I have no idea how long they last as I only had them in my low beams for a couple months. Relatively cheap too! I could go to Autozone and buy worse bulbs for more money.
            ** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post **

Comment

The Osram Rallye is more commonly known as the Osram Hyper. It's just an H9 burner in an H7 base. Definitely an excellent bulb, and my first choice for H7 optics that can't support an HID source.

Furthermore, you might consider researching your headlights to see what projectors are in them. If you've got something like the H7 E55 (which I believe is relatively common in older Mercedes), it can handle an HID source rather well and is very easy to swap to the E55 bixenon.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackPuma View Post
                Thank you for your help! I didn't mention those because i think they are not street legal DOT, am i right ?
                They state the bulbs as a "Perfect off road upgrade" so I guess they're not? But seeing as modifying your headlights in any way is not legal, I'm sure at least 80% of people on this website would be ok with that. They're H7 (the base at least) halogen bulbs. I doubt they'll draw much attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabs46 View Post
                  Honestly,

Best first post ever!! I too recommend the Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7. It wont last long but it is bright...

AKA Jimmy K

Comment

would modding a d2s bulb help here?

Comment

I would also check to make sure your stock wiring is capable of handling that extra wattage as a replacement wire harness would be quite expensive.

Originally posted by soryu1 View Post
                      As in a re-base? Not unless you're encouraging PnP.

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Yes, I bought those and installed them in my high beams(lows are HID), and they are quite a bit brighter than the regular 55watt H7 bulbs. According to data I have seen, a standard H7 produces 1450 lumens and a "+50" H7 produces 1550, while an Osram Rallye H7 produces 2100 lumens.
                        Last edited by mdtrot; July 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fancyhat View Post
                          Had those in my 08 Rabbit while I did my retro. Really really bright, I loved them. Slightly yellower (nothing drastic) but that made them really good in the rain. I did get flashed a couple times, but that was mostly cresting a hill and they were below my cutoff, where I normally would not have.

I do reccomened them, but I have no idea how long they last as I only had them in my low beams for a couple months. Relatively cheap too! I could go to Autozone and buy worse bulbs for more money.
                          I'm sure they are great but not sure if my harness can take this extra 10 watts? is there a way to find out ?

Originally posted by westie180 View Post
                          The Osram Rallye is more commonly known as the Osram Hyper. It's just an H9 burner in an H7 base. Definitely an excellent bulb, and my first choice for H7 optics that can't support an HID source.

Furthermore, you might consider researching your headlights to see what projectors are in them. If you've got something like the H7 E55 (which I believe is relatively common in older Mercedes), it can handle an HID source rather well and is very easy to swap to the E55 bixenon.
                          Yes the h7 projectors are the h7 E55. Is there any thread about hid in E55 halogen projector ?

Originally posted by soryu1 View Post
                          I dont want really want to modify a d2s bulb... i'm a little worried about the performance. I'm trying to find the best option to see more at night.

Originally posted by Sean Lezner View Post
                          I would also check to make sure your stock wiring is capable of handling that extra wattage as a replacement wire harness would be quite expensive.

As in a re-base? Not unless you're encouraging PnP.
                          Where could i check if my stock wiring is capable of supporting this extra 10 watts?
                          Last edited by gold94corolla; July 20th, 2013, 08:50 PM. Reason: merged......

Comment

@BlackPuma - You've really got to learn to format your posts so you can respond to multiple replys in one post instead of posting a single reply for reach response lol.

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Lezner View Post
                              @BlackPuma - You've really got to learn to format your posts so you can respond to multiple replys in one post instead of posting a single reply for reach response lol.
                              Haha i agree... if i found the way to do it i would have done it: Easier for me and for you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X