Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing a halogen bulb in Mini H1

...As the title states.

I did some testing with a halogen bulb in a morimoto mini H1 projectors.

I used a Valeo H1 bulb 50W, but for the test, I was powering the bulb somewhere around 35 watts. Couldn't find a better power supply

Anyway, here are two preliminary pictures. Both were taken with a Sony DSC camera and flash off. The projector was standing approx 2 meters from the room wall.

Pic 1: low beam ; Pic 2: high beam

Please mind that the projector wasn't aligned with the table.

Anyway, the cutoff looks nice, seems that there is a big horizontal hot spot line, probably because the projectors were too close to the wall, so more testing is needed from the distance at 10 m > 30 ft.

I'll have to do more quality tests outside, connect the bulb to the car battery an run it at full spec, but it's cold and don't feel like doing it anytime this week

Feel free to comment, I did this test to determine how will it look like with a halogen bulb, but all in addition to the "halogen H7 thread" under the same sub-forum.

You can definitely tell that these are designed for HID burners as that hot spot is way off. Try to point the bulb downward and I believe that may bring the hot spot up to the cutoff
    2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon - MH1 6.0, E46-R shrouds, XB35 5500K bulbs - DAILY
    2012 Mazda 3i Touring Skyactiv - Black Series Clear Lenses, blocked squirrel finders, DDM kit, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
    2011 Mazda 2 Sport - Mini D2S 1.0, E46-R shrouds, Osram Xenarc bulbs - First retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
    2005 Kia Spectra EX - Mini D2S 1.0, E55-R shrouds, Morimoto 3Five 5000K bulbs - TOTALED

Comment

Yikes. Worse than I imagined.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

I did this on my last motorcycle because I had to have lgiths to drive to work while I waited on my HID bulds. With 2 50w H1 bulbs and H1 projectors, the light out put is worse than 1 mini H1 with a crappy china bulb.
        2003 PT Cruiser GT, Morimoto Mini H1s

Comment

well at least we know they can use a halogen bulb in the event of an inspection if needed (many MOT people know this im sure) and maybe they would be a good high beam only unit someware on here someone did use a set for it
          my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
          04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
          2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
          07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Comment

I got similar results with putting an H7 bulb into the FX-R projectors.. a lot of intensity at the bottom and a yellow cutoff.

Comment

not too bad TRS has done some good projectors here they can do halogen in a not too bad state
              my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
              04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
              2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
              07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Comment

Yes, I know that the bulb needs some adjustment, I'll try to adjust the hotspot closer to the cutoff.

Anyway, I'm going to play with adjustment and see if things can get better.

Didn't cost me anything and all I wanted to see how things will work out with halogen. If things work out, I'll probably be using it for MOT, as someone already stated.

That halogen in a FX-R actually looks pretty decent.

Comment

That's terrible like that... the cutoff is wack and the hot spot is wrong. Actually, I bet it would work better upsidedown! Hopefully some adjustment can get it better, thanks for sharing.

Comment

No problem. I'll try to gain some better results when I get home from work.

Comment

This was my test with a MH1 with a halogen bulb

Photo1132.jpg
                      2003 Dodge Ram Hemi 1500: FX-R, Morimoto 5000k D2S, Apollo Shrouds, & Morimoto Standalone harness.

2006 Dodge Ram Hemi 2500: MH1, Morimoto 4300k H1, Apollo Shrouds. Soon to be TL projectors with ZKW-R clear lens upgrade (In Progress)

2007 Dodge Ram hemi 1500: G1 projectors with 5k bulbs, LOL i know but a Bosch E46 retro is in the works

Comment

I have gained some better results with the bulb adjustment. The hotspot is now right under the cutoff line, but I think it could be better to push the bulb more further inside. I'll try to take off the semi-circle "shield" off the bulb and do some testing. If it comes good, maybe I'll solder it again, but closer to the second terminal input.

stay tuned

Comment

conclusion: it's doable, but it's a pain the ass to adjust the bulb the right way. When I secure the bulb with a clip, it locks in a way where there is a huge hotspot line under the cutoff, same like those pics I posted. Even when I manage to get a decent cutoff and limited hotspot, it still looks, well bleh I can imagine how would it look like when hooked to a car. The light distribution would probably not be good.

At least, now we know. We can close this chapter

Comment

So you didn't have to do any modifications to the actual projector to get the bulb in there? Well at least i now have a good alternative if state people decide to fail my car.

Comment

Well, I had to sand the entry point and widen it a bit so the bulb can go through. A couple of minutes of work using a dremel...

Comment

Working...
                              X