Tested: best 9011 (HIR1) bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tested: best 9011 (HIR1) bulb

There's been so many iterations of the 9011 bulb it's hard to keep track. From what I've read elsewhere, Sylvania has a new 9011 bulb, and it's a fresh design.

I was able to test them all today. Among the contenders are an old-style 9011 GE bulb, a Toshiba 9011, a Philips 9011, and a new-style Sylvania 9011.

The bulbs were all tested at 12 volts (not 12.8) so I wouldn't run into issues with maxing out my power supply. The absolute lux values aren't that important especially since this was run at 12 volts--what is important are the relative values. They were tested in a high beam reflector. I ran the test at 12 volts because my power supply gets maxed out (slightly) by the Philips 9011 and Sylvania 9005 bulbs. The bulbs with the infrared coating actually don't max out my power supply once I let them get warmed up.

The data agrees with a quick n' dirty test of some 9005 and 9011 bulbs I ran yesterday. Basically: 9005 < Philips 9011 < GE 9011 < Toshiba 9011 < New Sylvania 9011.

The "new" Sylvania 9011 I'm talking about is the one made in Korea. It should be easy to identify through the clear packaging of the bulbs. This "new" 9011 bulb brings back the infrared reflective coating that everyone loves to talk about. (Yes, I know it says Osram in the picture below but Osram and Sylvania are apparently the same company, and have been for a few years now).

At $25, the new Sylvania 9011 is a real winner compared to the $60 Toshiba 9011 bulb.

Here are some pictures showing the differences among the filaments.

Left: Sylvania 9005, Right: new Sylvania 9011. You can clearly see how unoptimized the 9005 bulb's filament is. It is not as "dense" as the new 9011's coil. It's so bad that you can literally see the gaps between the turns.

Left: Philips 9011, Right: new Sylvania 9011. Same deal here. Run-of-the-mill 9011 bulb versus highly optimized 9011 bulb. Some people said that the Philips 9011 is basically a "boosted" 9005 bulb, and it does look like it here. The 9011 bulb has visible gaps between the turns.

The Toshiba bulb's filament is a little wavy. But it appears to be as similarly dense as the new Sylvania 9011's bulb. No wonder the Toshiba did relatively well in testing.

The GE bulb appears to have a slightly larger diameter filament and a less dense coil.

I've posted the comparisons because I've seen the below chart tossed around a few times, and it explains the pecking order.

Last edited by projector-head; March 27th, 2020, 12:12 PM.

Do you have a part # or post where you can get those Korean made Osram/Sylvania 9011s?
    Originally posted by HK45
    I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      Do you have a part # or post where you can get those Korean made Osram/Sylvania 9011s?
      They're easily found at parts stores as Sylvania Basic 9011 bulbs.

Just make sure the store you go to actually stocks 9011 bulbs. I found that not all parts stores stock 9011 bulbs, but they should be able to get them shipped to the store from the local distribution center. Me, I just went straight to the local distribution center instead of one the of smaller stores. I found 2 Sylvania Basic 9011 bulbs no problem.

Once you get your hands on the Sylvania Basic 9011 bulb, make sure you look through the clear packaging at the base of the bulb for this:

The new ones are made in Korea. The old ones are made in Germany. When I checked the parts store, all the Sylvania 9011 and 9012 bulbs were made in Korea. I think that stock of the German ones have dried up.

Speaking of 9012 bulbs, I noticed that the Sylvania XtraVision 9012 bulbs are made in Korea now too. I wonder how those would stack up against a Vosla 9012+50 or 9012+120.
      Last edited by projector-head; March 27th, 2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by projector-head View Post

They're easily found at parts stores as Sylvania Basic 9011 bulbs.

Just make sure the store you go to actually stocks 9011 bulbs. I found that not all parts stores stock 9011 bulbs, but they should be able to get them shipped to the store from the local distribution center. Me, I just went straight to the local distribution center instead of one the of smaller stores. I found 2 Sylvania Basic 9011 bulbs no problem.

Once you get your hands on the Sylvania Basic 9011 bulb, make sure you look through the clear packaging at the base of the bulb for this:

The new ones are made in Korea. The old ones are made in Germany. When I checked the parts store, all the Sylvania 9011 and 9012 bulbs were made in Korea. I think that stock of the German ones have dried up.
        Ahh. The ebay sellers and Advance Auto Parts website still have photos of the German-made ones.
        I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Yeah, Advanced Auto Parts needs to update their pictures.

They're also on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/12V-Original-...1585362870&sr= 8-3#customerReviews

Anyway, to put my results in context, here's a rough idea of how much you would stand to gain from the tested bulbs. Since I did not test the bulbs at a realistic voltage (like 13.5 volts or so) I did not give absolute illumination distances (like 450 feet). I instead just calculated the differences in illumination distances and they should be fairly proportional when scaling up from 12 volts (test voltage) to the actual voltage reaching the bulbs in your car (probably >12.8 if you have a working alternator). I assumed that the gains in intensity would be located at H-V and did some simple calculations to calculate the 5 lux illumination distance.

Last edited by projector-head; March 27th, 2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

You can probably get them even cheaper @ Advance Auto, discount codes up to 25% off usually pop up on their website

Comment

Thanks for the writeup.

Do you happen to know if something similar is available in H4?
              Subaru Outback retrofit:
              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
              License plate lights with dual brightness:
              https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
                Thanks for the writeup.

Do you happen to know if something similar is available in H4?
                A H4 bulb that uses an infrared reflective coating? Unfortunately, there isn't one.

But the brightest H4 should be the Philips XtremeVision +130 or RacingVision +150 H4. I installed a Silverstar Ultra H4 along with a RacingVision H4 and found the RacingVision to not only be whiter but also had a more intense hotspot than the Silverstar.

Comment

projector-head is there a color difference between the Sylvania 9011 and standard uncoated halogen? I'm probably ordering Hella 60mm modular low beams ( http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...dule-low-beam/ ) to use as auxiliary lowbeams and would prefer to match my standard wattage uncoated H4 headlights.

Comment

There is a subtle difference. The Sylvania 9011 (new kind) is slightly whiter than a 9005 bulb. Not a very dramatic difference in my opinion, and probably not noticeable anywhere except for a wall, up close.

Comment

https://www.amazon.de/Osram-9011-ORI...C5%BD%C3%95%C3 %91&dchild=1&keywords=9011+osram&qid=1586966242&sr =8-2

Could these be the right ones? It says made in Germany on the packaging.
                      Subaru Outback retrofit:
                      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                      License plate lights with dual brightness:
                      https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

The first picture is correct. That's what the filament should look like...

But they should be made in Korea. Maybe the picture of the box just hasn't been updated.

I would just go to the parts store and look for the Korean-made 9011s imo, guaranteed to get the right one.

Comment

I just bought a Philips 9011 from RockAuto and it's made in Korea and looks like the new Sylvania. One I bought from Amazon about two months ago was made in Germany I think.

Edit: Rockauto was a box version (9011C1), the Amazon was in a blister pack (9011B1).
                          Last edited by orlandomsp; August 6th, 2020, 08:02 PM.
                          Mazdaspeed Protege E46 D1S Retro

Comment

Working...
                          X