HIR vs Performance halogen bulb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping this thread with info

After reading high praise for the HIR bulbs, I got a set to try out.
    I got the Phillips "Standard" 9011/HIR1 bulbs off Amazon, $16/ea, came in the mail today and popped them in this evening.

​​​
    On the left of this image is the HIR1/9011 bulb, in the right is a 9005 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra (used, relatively new...maybe 9 months old). High beams and parking lights only... Low beams are off
    Phone photo, but manual settings so it's not totally blown out shutter time 1/3003s, ISO 50, f1.7

It is brighter, but I don't find it that noticeable different while driving. I think I might have the original 9005 from my truck I'll have to take a photo comparing those to the HIR at some point. Cheaper and brighter than the SSUltra, so definitely the best choice if replacing burnt out bulbs. Questionable upgrade is you already have working SSUltra or similar.
    Last edited by Btsbar; June 26th, 2018, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Your camera is facing the wrong way. You need to point it from the drivers prospective onto the road because comparing how much brighter a reflector housing looks against the other does not measure performance.

On paper there should be a 30% increase of light from a SS 9005 to a Philips 9011. And while you admit that it is noticeably brighter, perhaps 30% is just not enough to make it a "wow" factor.

You could also look into upgrading your headlamp wiring to 12 gauge. Its very common for most vehicles to suffer from voltage drop due to inadequate factory wiring. You could be seeing anywhere from 50-70% output of the bulbs rated light output.

Comment

Yeah I need to find a nice wall and then I'll pop a Silverstar back in to take comparison pictures.

Comment

What I noticed, looking at a wall, the high beam hotspot seems a bit brighter, but not by much. The bigger difference is out on the road, when looking down the road (provided you don't have heaps of foreground).
          Of course, depends how good your standard wiring is as well.

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
            Your camera is facing the wrong way. You need to point it from the drivers prospective onto the road because comparing how much brighter a reflector housing looks against the other does not measure performance.

On paper there should be a 30% increase of light from a SS 9005 to a Philips 9011. And while you admit that it is noticeably brighter, perhaps 30% is just not enough to make it a "wow" factor.

You could also look into upgrading your headlamp wiring to 12 gauge. Its very common for most vehicles to suffer from voltage drop due to inadequate factory wiring. You could be seeing anywhere from 50-70% output of the bulbs rated light output.
            Yep, back in the day, when I bought my set of the original round top HIR1 bulbs, they only came to life when I installed a heavy duty wiring harness. When you get that full voltage to them, they are freaking bright. I don't have any experience with these new quasi-HIR bulbs.

Comment

I updated the lights in my Trailblazer with the 9012 (9006 low beam), the light was a bit brighter, but the actual projection of the light beam penetrates much further. I'd recommend these over any of the regular 9006/9005 bulbs on lifetime alone, they have about double the lifetime of the stock bulbs.
              (mine are over 4+ years old, no wiring changes, these are the same wattage just the IR coating and filament are the specialty)

www.candlepowerinc.com is a good vendor, I have purchased many times from them, their website is a bit clunky, but their service and speed is right-on!
              (website shortcut: https://store.candlepower.com/hesowisu.html )

Comment

Originally posted by mc84_zz4 View Post
                I updated the lights in my Trailblazer with the 9012 (9006 low beam), the light was a bit brighter, but the actual projection of the light beam penetrates much further. I'd recommend these over any of the regular 9006/9005 bulbs on lifetime alone, they have about double the lifetime of the stock bulbs.
                (mine are over 4+ years old, no wiring changes, these are the same wattage just the IR coating and filament are the specialty)

www.candlepowerinc.com is a good vendor, I have purchased many times from them, their website is a bit clunky, but their service and speed is right-on!
                (website shortcut: https://store.candlepower.com/hesowisu.html )
                9012 and/or 9011 will seem about twice as bright with a heavy duty wiring harness. Here is one for $35:

https://coolbulbs.com/hdh9005-9006
                Last edited by mdtrot; January 21st, 2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X