This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan's guide to: Halogen bulbs

Bulb choice, lens condition, voltage and aim make the biggest difference.

General Advice

-For bulbs that do not have an upgrade size, or are already upgraded do not get over-wattage bulbs. They are dangerous to the housings and your vehicle and perform worse than a high performance bulb of the correct wattage.

-Tinted bulbs (except for those listed), 55w=100w, or any other brands of bulbs should be avoided at all costs.

-Lights should always be aimed correctly, http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

-Oxidized, yellow, or cloudy lenses severely limit output. They should be refinished or replaced. https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...lant-idea.html

-Check voltage droop between the battery and the bulb. Anything more than 0.2V requires a relay harness.

-Aftermarket (non retrofitted) headlights are a shitshow of bad output. OEM lights are a must, nothing else.

Some bulb sizes share optics, but have different output specs. This is a incomplete list of how to upgrade a lower tier bulb.
    9005 --> 9011
    9005: 1,860lm +- 12 %
    9011: 2,500lm +- 15 %
    Potential max increase of 75.6% more lumens
    Best bulb: regular Philips

9006 --> 9012
    9006:
    1,095lm +- 15 %
    9012: 1,875lm +- 15 %
    Potential max increase of 131.7% more lumens
    Best bulb: Vosla +30 HIR2

​H4 --> Philips Racing Vision H4
    Potential max increase of 20-30% more lumens
    ​No modifications necessary.
    Best bulb: only 1 choice

Update: Osram has discontinued the H7 Rallye. Until a replacement bulb is made Philips Racing Vision H7s are the best choice.
    ​H7 --> Philips Racing Vision H7
    Potential max increase of 20-30% more lumens

Old (ignore this):
    H7 --> Osram H7 Rallye

H7: 1,500lm +- 10 %
    H9: 2,100lm +- 10 %
    Potential max increase of 71.1% more lumens

H8/H11 --> H9
    H8: 800lm +- 10 %
    H11: 1,350lm +- 10 %
    H9: 2,100lm +- 10 %
    Potential max increase of 90.1% more lumens
    Best bulb: regular Philips

IF YOU DIDN'T SEE YOUR BULB SIZE LISTED
    All bulb sizes have a legal range of plus or minus 10 to 15%. Tinted, eco, long life, etc bulbs will be at the bottom of this range. Maximum performance bulbs will be at the top.
    That means that comparing a bottle of the shelf blue coated bulb to a high performance bulb such as one listed below could net you up to 30% more light.
    Not all of these come in every size, please keep googling each type until you find one of these in your size.

Tier 1 (+150): Philips Racing Vision
    Tier 2 (+130): Philips X-Treme Vision <-- Osram Night Breaker Laser <-- GE Nighthawk Xenon
    Tier 3 (+100): Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited <-- GE Nighthawk Platinum
    Basic bulbs: Philips/Osram clear "standard/original".

Edit 1 11/9/16: Added Philips racing vision suggestion and warned against over wattage bulbs.
    Edit 2 1/11/27: Added NBL suggestion and talked about voltage.
    Edit 3 2/19/17: Updated "other" section.
    Edit 4 5/25/17: Added GE bulbs, updated H7 section, fixed some typos.
    Edit 5: 7/25/17: Fixed photos
    Last edited by rdriggett; October 29th, 2017, 11:33 PM.

I don't do halogens but this is nice!
    *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Nice write up, been considering swapping my high beam bulb for A 9011.
      Last edited by Pklemm; August 19th, 2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

This should come in handy! Thanks a ton!

Nathanael Carriere

Facebook l Instagram l Website l Blog

Comment

Great write up! I really hope people on HJ actually learn something from that

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
          Nice write up, been considering swapping my high beam bulb for A 9011.
          I have 9011's in my garage waiting for me to swap them. Just been waiting for a night that I actually have time to so I can get comparison shots lol
          2006 Chevy Cobalt - SRX Bi-xenon/Denso 35w
          2011 GMC Terrain V6 - 4TL-R retrofit

Comment

Great writeup! Now people don't have to go to CPF to find out this info
            Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

HIRs are a nice upgrade, I love mine.

Nice write up.
              Anthony
              2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback
              2008 Wrangler Unlimited FX-R Retrofit
              2011 Fiesta Retrofit Number 2

Comment

Have you gotten the bulbs yet? Waiting to see the results.
                *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                  Have you gotten the bulbs yet? Waiting to see the results.
                  Been driving around with h9s and 9011s for a week now, I have a pretty solid subjective impression. I have to go drag myself out to a testing wall and get pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by rdriggett View Post
                    General Advice -All halogen bulbs should be Philips X-Treme vision, Osram Nightbreaker unlimited, or standard clear if those dont exist in that size, in that order.
                    How did you come to that determination? I currently have Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for my H1 high beams. The glass is blue tinted like you mentioned and they're about 5 years old so I was thinking of replacing them. I've seen other people recommend Philips X-Treme vision but I'm having a hard time finding hard data as to why?
                    2015 BMW X5 xDrive35d
                    2006 Acura TSX 6MT w/ Nav

Comment

Originally posted by Velocifero View Post
                      How did you come to that determination? I currently have Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for my H1 high beams. The glass is blue tinted like you mentioned and they're about 5 years old so I was thinking of replacing them. I've seen other people recommend Philips X-Treme vision but I'm having a hard time finding hard data as to why?
                      Unfortunately the hard data is all behind a paywall I can't afford. For some sizes the GE nighthawk platinums tie the X-treme vision for performance, but in general the X-Treme vision is the brightest bulb in non swappable categories.

Comment

Originally posted by rdriggett View Post
                        Unfortunately the hard data is all behind a paywall I can't afford. For some sizes the GE nighthawk platinums tie the X-treme vision for performance, but in general the X-Treme vision is the brightest bulb in non swappable categories.
                        Roger. I bought and installed the "+130%" version of the Philips X-treme Vision for my H1 highs.
                        2015 BMW X5 xDrive35d
                        2006 Acura TSX 6MT w/ Nav

Comment

Anyone have any idea how decent GE halogen bulbs are? Want to do an H11 to H9 bulb mod, but the only bulbs I can grab locally are GE.
                          2013 Grand Caravan. LS460s + RX350s.

Comment

Originally posted by lowfat View Post
                            Anyone have any idea how decent GE halogen bulbs are? Want to do an H11 to H9 bulb mod, but the only bulbs I can grab locally are GE.
                            GEs top end bulb is a smidge under the X-Treme Visions, so their regular bulb should be decent too.

Comment

Very happy w/ the standard GE H9s. 2100 lumens according to the GE website for the standard H9. Pretty substantial difference between the H9 and H11 output. $15CAD each locally, which is dirt cheap. $10 less than the Philips H9s.
                              2013 Grand Caravan. LS460s + RX350s.

Comment

Working...
                              X