Headlight plastic concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight plastic concerns

I have a 15 Tundra that has PermaSeal lights. Now to get this open guys have had o bake them at 250-275 for 10-15mins around 4-5 times. My concern is, what toll does this take on the headlight plastic? Will it discolor faster over time? Make it brittle? What negative effects will so many heat cycles do or not do to the clear lens?

Nothing negative.

Your headlights get near these temps just sitting out in the sun during the day. Black interior headlights especially.

Bake on young blood. Bake on.
    2017 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have baked other non permaseal lights but just one time in the oven at 250 for 8-10 mins. I would hate to ruin $300+ headlights prematurely.

Comment

All you have to worry about is damaging the plastic housing whilst removing the lens since it will be very pliable after heating them up
        *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Don't let anything rest on or press against the lens hard (like a terry cloth towel) as it can leave impressions in the hot plastic.
          2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
          1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Damage to headlight housing lens made of plastic (usually polycarbonate) is more from the UV exposure than heat (IR exposure).
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

You shouldn't need to go that high. I think I did 235 for a few cycles and slowly pried open the channel with a flat blade screwdriver for my permassealed Camry.

Comment

Yup, all above info is correct. Don't push against the headlight lens when sealing, especially if you're sealing it if you used the oven method for heating up your sealant, as this may result in micro cracks, which look ugly and suck all at the same time.
                2010 Civic Si

Comment

Working...
                X