Semi-Truck Projectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-Truck Projectors?

Anyone had a chance to have hands on with any semi-truck manufacturers HIDs? I was just on a longish road trip at night and noticed quite a few tractor trailers and buses with projectors in them. It got me wondering if anyone on this site had any experience with them. They looked pretty damn bright/wide to me and I know what everyone here thinks about OEM stuff. Seems like they would be a great thing to score.

Are you sure they weren't LED units?

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

I know what he is talking about. Vanhool and Peterbilt have been running projectors for a while, though I am pretty sure most are halogen from the factory. They more recently started putting them in Kenworth models also. Drivers probably started doing PNP HIDs to the halogen projectors.
      '04 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
      Awaiting a Proper HID retrofit (RX350)
      '00 Corvette 6spd; FBO LQ9, FX-R 3.0 on 50w
      '94 Camaro LQ4/4L80e Swap; WR
      '93 W/T 1500 RCLB LQ4/4L80e Swap; Sealed 6

Comment

Kenworth and Peterbuilt can be ordered from the factory with hid headlights. And according to an unofficial source Freightliner installs trucklite brand led headlights in the some versions of the Cascadia from the factory.
        Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by ImagioX1 View Post
          Kenworth and Peterbuilt can be ordered from the factory with hid headlights. And according to an unofficial source Freightliner installs trucklite brand led headlights in the some versions of the Cascadia from the factory.
          Good to know, I was just speaking based off of the trucks I have gotten to see up close that were peterbilts and had halogens. I figured they could be ordered with HIDs but I wasn't sure.

Comment

I thought those semi use either a large oem sedan headlight (e.g. from an Mercedes E-class) or run their own using 120mm units like these:
            http://www.rallylights.com/all/hella...high-beam.html
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I know a lot of Volvo's have projector headlights. Maybe those are the 120mm units you have right there.
              Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by ImagioX1 View Post
                And according to an unofficial source Freightliner installs trucklite brand led headlights in the some versions of the Cascadia from the factory.
                +1 most of the newer penske trucks will have the led headlights.. that's about all i know though when it comes to trucks..
                The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of semi head lights with reflector HID/LEDs (LED color anyway) now

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                    I'm seeing a lot of semi head lights with reflector HID/LEDs (LED color anyway) now
                    Ya I see a lot of Freightliners with reflector HIDs also.

Comment

I work in trucking. Volvo, Pete's and Kenworths can be ordered with HID as an option and we order all 3 for our fleet for highway use. The Freightliners have LED Reflectors and we use those for local work. I'm sure other trucks have them too but we only order the 4 i mentioned and always with the upgraded lights, never halogens anymore.

________
                      I MADE ME

Comment

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                        Are you sure they weren't LED units?
                        Very sure. They were definitely HIDs and they definitely weren't PnP. The buses around here use LEDs though, so I know what they look like too. They looked to be bixenon because I couldn't see a second projector, but I'm not for sure on that part.

Comment

I'm seeing quite alot of projector with either 5000k 0r 6000k HID units, or even LED...

And then I will see some trucks with HID in Halogen reflectors (atleast thats what the colour temp looks like) but much to my amazement, NO GLARE! How does that work? Maybe LED? They look awfully bright to be LED units...

Comment

Possibly they are HID reflectors...

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Originally posted by MGMTF View Post
                              Ya I see a lot of Freightliners with reflector HIDs also.
                              I thought I was going crazy and all the freight liner guys were just PNPing their reflectors around here. So that must be a factory option , I am seeing it in their fogs as well , matching color temp (6k-8kish)
                              50w Quads 85122+
                              50w Fogs 4300k XB35
                              20" E-Series

Comment

Working...
                              X