Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All in one ballast/bulb. Thoughts?

Just saw these.
    What does the planet think? If you search "all in one ballast" these come up.

510390896_292.jpg

I'm gonna go ahead and repeat the general consensus on this forum: not OEM=no care. I don't think anything like this would receive a different answer.

Comment

How on earth are you going to fit that on your head light lol? And think about how heavy that thing will be hanging on the back of the projector, the usual paperclip-style holders won't hold that lol.

Comment

They're offered in H8, H11, 9005 and 9006 formats only, from what I've gathered, and I think all those bulb sockets are of the twist-lock variety. There's no way a H1 or H7 socket fitment would be able to be used, as they require springs to lock the bulb in.

Apart from that, I can see additional issues with clearance behind the headlight with this design. Novel idea, but limited real-world applications...

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

yeah, i think the additional weight would add more vibration to the assembly.. i don't think any assembly is rated for that..
          The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

I wonder how much miniaturization was needed on the power side of the circuit (that supplies the high startup voltage). I can see the signal/controller side being replaced by a small chip, but a proper power delivery can't be easily miniaturized and left robust. There's a reason proper audio amplifiers aren't slim.

Which brings to the second issue. Is the lifetime expectancy of the bulb side and the ballast/igniter side going to be similar? I suppose the miniaturization can mean the downrating of the ballast's lifetime to match the bulb's.
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Yeah, I am on board with OEM only. Just saw this and wanted to hear some responses.
              Here's another one :
              All_in_One_HID_Xenon_Kit_Round_Shape_Mini_Ballast.jpg

Comment

d1s is the only oem fitment that has the ballast on the back of the bulb right? just trying to get my facts straight first..
                The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Working...
                X