The mega-thread of H6024 / 7" Sealed beam replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mega-thread of H6024 / 7" Sealed beam replacements

Seeing as there are a few people with older vehicles and Jeep Wranglers looking for an ideal upgrade solution for headlights,
    I decided I would start and maintain a thread of the various options available. The intent is to keep the first post limited to one picture of the product, price, quick description, pros, cons,
    and in-thread links to your personal experiences and output shots.

The intent is to help people decide which direction to go, and stay up-to-date with new products.

The initial post may contain some hearsay which I am willing to scrub out as people correct me - mods - Can I update posts as many times as I want?

The Retrofit Source - Morimoto Sealed7

sealed7_1.jpg

Based around the well-received Mini D2S 3.0 projector and a Custom manufactured housing.

Pricing: $280 for housing, projectors, shrouds. A bit over $400 for a system with ballasts/bulbs.

Pros: Price, output
    Cons: TBD - concerns about bulkiness behind mounding flange.

Susquehanna Motorsports - SM6024BX

mark_kissens_2012_rubicon_with_bi-halogens-7_2_1.jpg

http://www.rallylights.com/sm6024bx-...onversion.html

This kit uses Hella 90mm modules as seen in commercial and professional applications. There is an external shroud (black or chrome) from
    the 90mm module to the base of the mounting flange. Picture (AND PRICE) suggest they come with Hella gen-3 ballasts.

Price: around $1400 for a pair, they also have an LED version for a couple hundred more.

Pros: appears to be shallow-mount, OEM HELLA projectors and possibly other OEM components (?)
    Cons: Price

HIDprojectors

MONSTER DEVIL EYES.jpg

http://www.hidprojectors.com/

A retrofitter who seems to specialize in 7" sealed beam retrofits using Jeep JK Wrangler housings and Mini H1s.
    Probably has all the issues of this housing + projector combination worked out. Customized paint, Halos.

price: starting at $520 a pair

pros: Customization
    cons: Not sometimething you couldn't do on your own if you're handy. Mini H1 projectors. Generic bulbs and ballasts.

Dapper Lighting (a few models)

Dapper Lighting - 7 Inch Classic Projector Kit

CP6024_1_1024x1024.jpg

These guys appear to be one of the only sellers on ebay (they also have a site of their own) who sell 7" round lights with "real" projectors.
    These ones have been around for a while and look like matchbox projectors mounted in an H4 conversion housing, again I could be wrong.

Price: roughly $270 for just the housings/projectors - $370 w/generic H1 HID kit

Pros: appears to be shallow-mount
    Cons: very small H1 projectors, unknown output/performance, looks like something any one of us could put together in 30min.

Dapper Lighting - 7 Inch Modern Projector Kit

$_12.JPG

I recently started to see these pop up on eBay, these appear to have an exposed projector lens, built in halo, no polycarbonate cover/lens.
    These also appear to have bigger projectors than the "Classic" kit.

pricing: roughly $270 for just the housings/projectors - $370 w/generic H1 HID kit
    Pros: appears to be shallow-mount
    Cons: unknown H1 projector, unknown output/performance, exposed lens.

I have most to post....
    Last edited by efm-7; March 4th, 2014, 02:04 PM.
    2013 Jeep JK Wrangler - 4.10, Eaton e-locker. Sealed7, Hella Micro-DE
    1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
    Mini H1 in 7" housing

Dapper Lighting - 7 Inch Classic V2 Projector Kit

CP6024V2_Front_1024x1024.jpg

Saw this one while browsing their site, again, unknown H1 projector, my guess is a mini H1.
    This one is interesting because the back of the housing appears to be a stretched version of your typical H4 conversion housing, in order to make space for the projector.

Pricing: $600 with a generic H1 HID kit

pros: looks clean and simple.
    cons: rear clearance could be an issue? pricy for an H1 projector w/unknown output/performance, generic bulbs/ballasts.

Truck-Lite Phase 7 LED (sold under different names)

418-R1z8bDL._SS300_.jpg

These appear to be very popular as they are the cheapest drop-in LED replacements for sealed beam housings.
    Reflector-style.

Price: under $400 a pair.

Pros: price, beam width, availability
    Cons: distance output is not very good, reflector style - reminiscent of early HID reflectors

JW Speaker 8700 LED

jw-speaker1.jpg

Projector-style LED headlights. Very good looking - available in black or chrome.
    These are said to have a decent lowbeam output, although not a very good highbeam - highbeam performance is often aided by aux lighting by those who have these installed.

Price: around $900 a pair.

Pros: looks/style. good (for LED) lowbeam performance
    Cons: price, highbeam performance not very good.

Peterson 701c LED

pmcopy.jpg

These are a new contender to the Truck-lite phase 7s, a similar hi/lo split reflector style.
    Looking for comparisons between this and the Truck-Lite Phase 7s.. early reports "suggest they are better".

Price: around $500

Pros: potentially better performance than Truck-Lite phase 7s
    Cons: TBD - unknown performance. Bit more expensive than Phase 7s
    Last edited by efm-7; March 4th, 2014, 02:05 PM.
    1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
    Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

Giantlight - mystery mystery.

This taiwanese supplier's product portfolio has many interesting products, from 90mm modules to HID & LED drop-in H6024 replacements.
      I've only seen these pop up on ebay a couple of times. Some of their products are hard/impossible to get.

http://www.giantlight.com.tw/

"XP6024" Bi-Xenon

giant-hid.jpg

I've seen this one floating around for ages and I feel like it used to be more available. Commonly seen on Hummers, with the most notable attribute being the very bulged-out lens.

pricing: I cannot find any sources I can confirm, but i've seen these mentioned from anywhere between $650 to $1000 a pair.

pros: rearward clearance, OEM philips D1S bulbs/ballast
      cons: availability, unknown projector, unknown performance/output

GL-180 LED

giant-led.jpg

These appear to be an alternative to the JW Speakers, I've seen these trickle into eBay over the past few months, in chrome and black.
      I wish I could see the output from these, however, it seems like nobody wants to take the risk!

Pricing: Around $600

Pros: Looks great, Much cheaper than JW Speaker 8700.
      Cons: Unknown performance/output

The hard lesson - "simulated" projector housing from eBay

51VLO8+UWNL.jpg

Where do I even begin... These are the type of producs intended to dupe people into thinking they're getting "bimmer lights, bro"
      These are H4 Halogen conversion housings with a floating "lens" in the middle to simulate the look of a projector, often sold with H4 "bixenon" HID kits and labeled as "7-inch round HID conversions!!!"

To be fair, I have never seen the output from these so I will try to remain civil, however, every bone in my body says you're better off with the old halogen sealed beams.
      Think about this for a moment, lets ignore the HID kit. These housings' primary design objective is to look like a projector, with light output secondary. Poor output w/halogens.
      Now think of how bad it would become with an HID kit. A good halogen housing from Cibie or Hella costs between $80-200. A lot of expensive engineering goes into making a reflector direct light properly.
      Not likely to happen in a $20 housing, HID kit or not.

Price: $20 housing only up to $1000+ w/HID kit...

Pros: a lesson learned... about headlights, car modding, why you do research, and various aspects of life in general.
      Cons: Everything... I suppose the housings could be repurposed for a real projector retrofit. Anybody want to admit they bought one of these? If so, can you provide output shots for entertainment?

Edit:

output shots with halogen bulb courtesy of satrya
      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?56966-The-mega-thread-of-H6024-7-quot-Sealed-beam-replacements&p=687345&viewfull=1#post687345

Dialight HLD734CB, HLD734CBH, HLD734CM, HLD734CMG, HLD734CMT LED

Motodynamic "JW Speaker lookalike" LED

Maike Auto "hernia headlight"

Rivera Primo HedLed Phase 2 LED

Valeo Sylvania Xsighting XE7

Taiwan-GT GT-6012

Taiwan-GT GTD-6012

Truck-lite Phase 6

Last edited by efm-7; March 11th, 2014, 07:28 PM.
      1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
      Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

You stated two of them being DOT approved, I do not see how they can be
        AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by mdufficy View Post
          You stated two of them being DOT approved, I do not see how they can be
          The giantlight ones? if so, I'm skeptical as well. I'll scrub it
          1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
          Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

Originally posted by efm-7 View Post
            The hard lesson - "simulated" projector housing from eBay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30009[/ATTACH]

Where do I even begin... These are the type of producs intended to dupe people into thinking they're getting "bimmer lights, bro"
            These are H4 Halogen conversion housings with a floating "lens" in the middle to simulate the look of a projector, often sold with H4 "bixenon" HID kits and labeled as "7-inch round HID conversions!!!"

To be fair, I have never seen the output from these so I will try to remain civil, however, every bone in my body says you're better off with the old halogen sealed beams.
            Thanks for the thread. I'm using those generic ones as my donor housing. Just for fun, here are the output using the supplied blue-tinted H4 halogen bulb and blue-tinted city light bulb.

Front & back:

Low beam (ISO 200, f/2.8, exposure 1/3sec)

High beam (same camera settings)

City lights (same settings)

Hella Micro DE halogen foglights (same settings, for context)
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

The giantlight ones? if so, I'm skeptical as well. I'll scrub it
              I think JW speakers and also from Susquehanna
              AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Scrubbed any mention of legality altogether.

also, thanks for the output shots lol, I have linked them
                1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
                Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

you should do this for H6054's too! That would help alot out too!

Comment

Originally posted by Daven75 View Post
                    you should do this for H6054's too! That would help alot out too!
                    You could start your own

I'm mostly in the know with the 7" round variety because I've owned 3 vehicles with them so far.
                    I also feel like I shouldn't exclude the halogen options as well, however, there are really good "shoot out" type threads for halogen on other forums.
                    1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
                    Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

Hella E-codes, sure not DOT approved, but rather much better. Hella 7" E-codes.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Oh I hear great things about Hella e-codes

Kinda wanted to keep this to stuff that's "bluish and or flickers"... vain I know LOL.

It's just that I feel like there are many other places where there would be better information on the Halogen housings, candlepower forums, any of the jeep forums. I should probably gather some links at the very least since the thread title doesn't exclude them.
                        1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
                        Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

You could start your own

I'm mostly in the know with the 7" round variety because I've owned 3 vehicles with them so far.
                          I also feel like I shouldn't exclude the halogen options as well, however, there are really good "shoot out" type threads for halogen on other forums.
                          haha I wish I knew enough to start one! ;]

Comment

Great thread! + rep. Thanks for putting all of this info together, it's exactly what I wanted to see!

The initial post may contain some hearsay which I am willing to scrub out as people correct me - mods - Can I update posts as many times as I want?
                            Please do! I feel like this thread can go somewhere it will be easier to find, I might move/sticky it at some point.

Comment

I devote a good hour every other night before passing out, looking for 7" housings I haven't seen before

I already have some new ones to add, i'll add them a few at a time and then link/reference them in the first page.

another reason why I hate the fake projector housings, makes searching for real ones a huge pain in the ass. Almost impossible to weed out with search terms.
                              1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D.
                              Mini H1 in 7" housing

Comment

Working...
                              X