Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dangers of DRL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by BOO5TED View Post
    Most vehicles made in the last 5-8 years have auto headlights so the driver doesn't have to worry about turning on the headlights when it gets dark enough to actually use them. Both of my trucks and my wife's car has them. I can't tell you the last time I've even touched the switch lol.
    My car has auto head lights, but I can switch them off. I actually don't use the auto setting anymore, as the car will crank with the HIDs on, causing one side to flicker.

    Originally posted by Sniper Focus View Post
    Back up lights


    1. Is it a GM?

    No - Caution, car is backing up.
    Yes - GO TO STEP 2.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2. Brake lights on?

    Yes - Caution, car is backing up.
    No - Stupid courtesy lights, proceed walking into store.
    I think you got those last two backwards lol.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
      in my link provided in the beginning:

      "Initially, NHSTA said safety experiences in northern countries had no direct application to the United States. But, in a strange reversal of tradition, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) began embracing DRL regulatory proposals at the request of petitions from General Motors."

      also:

      "But in 1990, General Motors pushed NHTSA again, asking for a national standard permitting an optional DRL system. NHTSA complied two years later, and therein lies the problem."

      so in conclusion GM is to blame for the instigation of DRL.
      Except GMs drls aren't that bad. They usually use a separate bulb that's only as bright as a turn signal, or use the turn signals themselves, instead of running the high beams or low beams like lots of other companies.



      99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
      FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

      2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by BOO5TED View Post
        I do. Both my trucks are GM and I actually like it. If its a dark parking lot I can unlock my truck and with the reverse leds it lights up a path to the vehicle. Also it makes it easy to find my truck in a crowded parking lot. It's the same with puddle lights on the mirrors, only there to help illuminate the ground upon entry to your vehicle.
        if you really need the lights to show you where you parked and which vehicle is your's, you need help on the eclipse, when i did the first alarm system, i never hooked up the parking light flasher like everyone does.. and i was perfectly content with it that way-- there's no need for me to see where i'm parked because i can beep the horn if needed to figure that out, and there's also no reason to flash the lights because my cars are always different from other cars of the same model, so it's impossible for me to try getting into another car anyways...

        i also feel it's somewhat of a safety aspect as well. if someone was looking to mug people in a parking lot, it'd be easy to pick out where they're going based on which car lights are flashing-- because many people unlock their cars from a good distance away..

        Originally posted by Speedrye View Post
        Two problems I see with the GM reverse lights: One, they remain on once a person enters the vehicle and applies the brake. Combine that with the tint on most all vans, SUVs and trucks obscuring the view of the driver and you're left guessing if you're going to get hit or if it's just someone that hopped in the driver's seat and is feeding their kids some fries. Two, most all of us grew up associating reverse lights with their actual purpose. Are the kids growing up now going to make that same association and avoid cars backing up the way they should?

        This isn't a safety issue, it's an issue of poor design in my opinion. Many other manufacturers manage to light up the surrounding area of a vehicle with headlights, puddle lights, tail lights and license plate lights and they do an effective job of illuminating the vehicles surroundings.

        I'll be the first to admit that I don't look for brake lights once seeing reverse lights. My brain is so conditioned to assume a car is backing up when the reverse lamps are on, I can't help but assume someone is backing up. Tail lights are meaningless as a factor during daylight and brake lights are meaningless when backing up on manual transmission vehicles, so the reverse lights and movement are all I have to go on. If everyone looked before they backed up, I wouldn't be as pissed by this feature, but that'd be like asking people to use their blinkers... Okay, I'm done ranting for now.
        yep. and around me, there's a 75% chance that at least 1 brake light is burned out, so there's a really good possibility that they are in fact backing up with their foot on the brake, i just can't see it because no one checks their brake light bulbs...

        Originally posted by BOO5TED View Post
        Y'all are making it out to more than it really is. Its only reverse light on for a few seconds, not that big of a deal really. It's only a little light, not like lazer beams are shooting out of the tail lights.
        it's actually about 2-5 minutes that it normally stays on. if it was only 30 seconds, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.


        Originally posted by sy272004 View Post
        hate it when ppl have drl on and no rear markers. if they wanted DRL to be functional then they should have automatic lights with phtoto sensor on dash so it would remove driver from doing anything with lights. on my chevy van, lights come on as soon as i start the van (granted i leave when it still dark out).

        also, they should have interconnect windshield wipers with headlights. if you turn wipers on, headlights should come on automatically (this is actualy law in PA, Wipers on, Headlights on)
        see my first post in this thread i agree that if they insist on having forward facing drl's, they should have something in back light up as well..

        Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
        My grandparent's Charger has the headlights come on automatically after the wipers have been on for more than a couple seconds. My aunts 04 Grand Cherokee was the same way too, it even had rain sensing wipers that would turn the headlights on as well as the wipers.
        didn't know any company did that. score one for chrysler!

        Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
        in my link provided in the beginning:

        "Initially, NHSTA said safety experiences in northern countries had no direct application to the United States. But, in a strange reversal of tradition, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) began embracing DRL regulatory proposals at the request of petitions from General Motors."

        also:

        "But in 1990, General Motors pushed NHTSA again, asking for a national standard permitting an optional DRL system. NHTSA complied two years later, and therein lies the problem."

        so in conclusion GM is to blame for the instigation of DRL.
        it's all Government Motors fault. big surprise there!

        Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
        Except GMs drls aren't that bad. They usually use a separate bulb that's only as bright as a turn signal, or use the turn signals themselves, instead of running the high beams or low beams like lots of other companies.
        yep. my drl is bright to the point where i'm thinking of toning it down a little while i've got them open..
        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          if you really need the lights to show you where you parked and which vehicle is your's, you need help on the eclipse, when i did the first alarm system, i never hooked up the parking light flasher like everyone does.. and i was perfectly content with it that way-- there's no need for me to see where i'm parked because i can beep the horn if needed to figure that out, and there's also no reason to flash the lights because my cars are always different from other cars of the same model, so it's impossible for me to try getting into another car anyways...

          it's actually about 2-5 minutes that it normally stays on. if it was only 30 seconds, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
          I've been told I need help before but that's another thread for another day

          I can adjust the time the reverse lights come on for my truck. Options are off, 30 seconds, 1, 2, 3 minutes. Believe I have it set at 30 seconds.

          Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
          My car has auto head lights, but I can switch them off. I actually don't use the auto setting anymore, as the car will crank with the HIDs on, causing one side to fliker.
          Mine too but I leave them on auto. The voltage sensing relay I have takes care of the lights coming on automatically when I start the truck though.
          Last edited by BOO5TED; February 4th, 2014, 09:51 PM.
          ***MH1 Retro***
          "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
          - Tennessee Williams

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by BOO5TED View Post
            I've been told I need help before but that's another thread for another day

            I can adjust the time the reverse lights come on for my truck. Options are off, 30 seconds, 1, 2, 3 minutes. Believe I have it set at 30 seconds.
            ah, that makes sense. do they come defaulted for 3 minutes?
            The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

            Comment


            • #36
              I dunno I bought both my trucks used.
              ***MH1 Retro***
              "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
              - Tennessee Williams

              Comment


              • #37
                auto makers taking control from the drivers putting everything in automatic and of course stupidity is endless and at the end becomes dangerous

                Comment


                • #38
                  Default exterior lighting setting for GM lamps is 30 seconds. LEDs are to blame for the super bright DRLs. Since LEDs are LEDs there is no standard for their wattage or light emission patterns as there is for say a H1/9004/9008/3057/7443/etc....Therefore its very easy to make them very bright and/or highly glaring. DRLs can be no more powerful than the greater of half of a high beam or the turn signal bulb(approx 3000cd). As most High beams are 55-60watts and the typical turn signal is 27-28watts you can see how choosing to use LEDs for DRLs could get you some crazy bright lamps and since theres no filament to deal with housing/reflector design is now wide open hence the ridiculous glare of many LED DRLs.

                  GM has traditionally used the least distracting option available on any given vehicle. I personally really like the turn signal versions...the amber light makes vehicles easily visible but isn't distracting (to me at least)

                  As for fuel economy.....I realize that any electrical load that necessitates energizing the field of the generator to maintain system voltage causes a parasitic load but I'd have to see documentation proving fuel consumption increases that were greater than just a statistical deviation or better yet is worse than improper tire inflation, poor engine maintenance, carrying too many McDs wrsppers in the passenger seat before I'd buy that crap about saving 604 millions of gallons of fuel per year. My basic spitball math would make it seem highly unlikely they could prove the evils of DRLS and fuel consumption.....
                  250,000,000 registered vehicles.
                  Minus 5 million that aren't driven(collector,abandoned,etc..)
                  Minus 75million)(30%) that are too old to have been made with DRL.
                  Gets us 170,000,00....now cut that at least in half for vehicles that don't have DRL..
                  85,000,000....
                  Now let's assume every single one of these 85million vehicles actually has DRLs....and they they drive 15,000 miles are year....and they ALWAYS drive with there DRLS on and never need to drive with headlights....let's use 17mpg as the average fuel economy for all these vehicles.....you'd find that each one would be using a massive 7.1 gallons a year extra fuel to power these DRLs! So your fuel economy would drop from 17mpg to 16.86mpg.....I get 2mpg less just by using cheap fuel when im broke....and these guys are seriously concerned over at most .14mpg? LMFAO. Teaching people not to ride the brake or clutch would save more than tthat...this guys whole thing is driver eeducation. Proper driver education would save 10 times as much fuel or more and it would save it on every car. Okay. Anyway, Ive spent way to much time before bed thinking about why this guy hates DRLs .
                  Last edited by maven; February 5th, 2014, 08:33 AM.
                  We are weapons of massive consumption.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by maven View Post
                    Now let's assume every single one of these 85million vehicles actually has DRLs....and they they drive 15,000 miles are year....and they ALWAYS drive with there DRLS on and never need to drive with headlights....let's use 17mpg as the average fuel economy for all these vehicles.....you'd find that each one would be using a massive 7.1 gallons a year extra fuel to power these DRLs! So your fuel economy would drop from 17mpg to 16.86mpg.....I get 2mpg less just by using cheap fuel when im broke....and these guys are seriously concerned over at most .14mpg? LMFAO. Teaching people not to ride the brake or clutch would save more than tthat...this guys whole thing is driver eeducation. Proper driver education would save 10 times as much fuel or more and it would save it on every car. Okay. Anyway, Ive spent way to much time before bed thinking about why this guy hates DRLs .
                    its not one guy, i believe its a group of people, they call themselves " the association of drivers against DRL"
                    Last edited by michael.kozera; February 5th, 2014, 09:52 AM.
                    Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
                      its not one guys, i believe its a group of people, they call themselves " the association of drivers against DRL"
                      I see that now

                      [sarcasm][tinfoilhat]Im gonna write an article praising DRLs for how much fuel they save because so many people dont turn on their entire lighting system.....or how plus size wheels are the devil due to larger rotating mass, excessive unsprung weight, and increased rotational inertia requiring increased increased fuel consumption and increased brake wear.....or how rollover safety standards reducing outward visibility and cause crashes.....or how modern extra long vehicle warranties are causing financial burden on automotive technicians.....or how the Star safety crash rating is evil .....or how the govt wants to monitor us using onboard telematics and send us tickets when we dont fix our cars.....or how fuel efficient low power cars should be banned because they cant merge on highways....or how EZPass is spying on me. [/sarcasm][/tinfoilhat]

                      theres so many things we could ACTUALLY change to benefit the environment or vehicles and theres a website run by those who think the problem is Daytime Running Lamps. I love the internet. You can be crazy from your couch with little risk of being institutionalized.
                      We are weapons of massive consumption.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        but being crazy from the couch costs us less then if we institutionalized all these people and had to pay to keep them alive.. it'd probably cost more then what drl's waste in gas per year
                        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Speedrye View Post
                          I think DRLs are partially to blame, but instrument clusters that are lit 100% of the time are also a huge danger since that's the most visible interface a driver has to know his lights are on. Of course, I don't understand how one can be so oblivious to not know that it's dark out and not notice that they can't see s**t.
                          I don't see how a backlit cluster is a danger. My Prelude is backlit 100%, as well as my company vehicle (Tacoma). Not having my lights on has never been an issue because I'm not a moron.
                          Originally posted by Bitter
                          They're literally flying canoes with boxer engines packed full of Molotov cocktails that rely on tampons and $10 screws to stay in the air and not kill you.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by phantom240 View Post
                            I don't see how a backlit cluster is a danger. My Prelude is backlit 100%, as well as my company vehicle (Tacoma). Not having my lights on has never been an issue because I'm not a moron.
                            The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by maven View Post
                              theres so many things we could ACTUALLY change to benefit the environment or vehicles and theres a website run by those who think the problem is Daytime Running Lamps. I love the internet. You can be crazy from your couch with little risk of being institutionalized.
                              well that was just one reason, i be it a very weak reason.
                              but they do bring up very important safety concerns. in case you haven't read the other posts, the biggest problem i find with DRL is that people have DRL and a lit instrument cluster, so when it gets dark they can still see their inst cluster and they have some light in front of their car, but the back of their car isnt lit and they can see ahead of them. <----------- that is why DRL is very unsafe and should be removed or improved immediately.

                              IMO its 2014 ffs, all cars should have auto headlights, or they should revert back to the old system where if your lights aint on then your instrument cluster is not lit.<---- idiot proof i hope.
                              Originally posted by phantom240 View Post
                              I don't see how a backlit cluster is a danger. My Prelude is backlit 100%, as well as my company vehicle (Tacoma). Not having my lights on has never been an issue because I'm not a moron.
                              thats the problem, there are alot of retarded drivers out there that cant turn a switch to activate their headlights/tail lights at night. you are smart enough but there are a few where its beyond them unfortunately.......
                              Last edited by michael.kozera; February 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM.
                              Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                We all talk about this with different opinions and different points of view what it would be kind of interesting that we said there's fatally s because of drls or not and we forget that the day God wants us to go does not matter where we are so I guess the DRL things has a lots points of view we should be aware of everything is outhere seem like now we need all of these technology to drive when old cars only had one bulb and rund 6 volt systems and people still get around personally I think I'm spoiled with all of this technology what about if I was given and old car with none of these amenities of today I think I would not even drive it one day that's my opinion.
                                Last edited by southaudio; February 5th, 2014, 10:32 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X