No announcement yet.

The Dangers of DRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need to attack incompetence with a hammer.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
    FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
      We need to attack incompetence with a claw hammer.
      Agreed.
      ***MH1 Retro***
      "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
      - Tennessee Williams

Comment

A lot of newer vehicles have the instrument cluster lighting on all of the time, so some drivers don't know that their headlights aren't on. I rented a Caravan last summer that was like this, and it didn't have auto lights on it either.

If the gauges are going to be lit at full brightness all of the time then they should make auto lights standard with those vehicles.

I absolutely hate the GMs with the backup "courtesy" lights, I have to go through this when walking through the parking lot...

Back up lights

1. Is it a GM?

No - Caution, car is backing up.
        Yes - GO TO STEP 2.
        ----------------------------------------------------
        2. Brake lights on?

Yes - Caution, car is backing up.
        No - Stupid courtesy lights, proceed walking into store.

Comment

Two problems I see with the GM reverse lights: One, they remain on once a person enters the vehicle and applies the brake. Combine that with the tint on most all vans, SUVs and trucks obscuring the view of the driver and you're left guessing if you're going to get hit or if it's just someone that hopped in the driver's seat and is feeding their kids some fries. Two, most all of us grew up associating reverse lights with their actual purpose. Are the kids growing up now going to make that same association and avoid cars backing up the way they should?

This isn't a safety issue, it's an issue of poor design in my opinion. Many other manufacturers manage to light up the surrounding area of a vehicle with headlights, puddle lights, tail lights and license plate lights and they do an effective job of illuminating the vehicles surroundings.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't look for brake lights once seeing reverse lights. My brain is so conditioned to assume a car is backing up when the reverse lamps are on, I can't help but assume someone is backing up. Tail lights are meaningless as a factor during daylight and brake lights are meaningless when backing up on manual transmission vehicles, so the reverse lights and movement are all I have to go on. If everyone looked before they backed up, I wouldn't be as pissed by this feature, but that'd be like asking people to use their blinkers... Okay, I'm done ranting for now.
          Last edited by Speedrye; February 4th, 2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Y'all are making it out to more than it really is. Its only reverse light on for a few seconds, not that big of a deal really. It's only a little light, not like lazer beams are shooting out of the tail lights.
            ***MH1 Retro***
            "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
            - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Speedrye View Post
              Thankfully GM has wussified it's drivers and they pretty much only sell automatic transmissions now, otherwise looking for brake lights while reverse lights are on would be pointless. I know I'm not on the brakes when I'm backing up in my manual transmission cars.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't look for brake lights once seeing reverse lights. My brain is so conditioned to assume a car is backing up when the reverse lamps are on, I can't help myself.
              No need to talk down others just because you can't take a second to tell if someone's backing up or not. Is it a stupid system, yeah, do you need to be an ass about it, no.

Comment

ive actually never noticed the GM back up tail light thing. altho now that i think of it, there has been a few times ive waited for someone to back up, to no avail lol.
                Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

I don't really see what the big issue with cars running DRLs is... it's not like it is hurting anybody. To be honest nobody probably notices except us, because we know more about headlights than most people. I don't really see a problem with MOST of the cars that come with DRLs. There are a few exceptions to that though that sometimes are really bright like high beams (Chrysler Sebring, Hyundai Genesis sedan, some BMW sedans, etc.) but overall I feel the DRLs are somewhat of a safety benefit. Yes there are cars that forget to turn their lights on during bad weather, but having the DRL system is better than having no lights on at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper Focus View Post
                    A lot of newer vehicles have the instrument cluster lighting on all of the time, so some drivers don't know that their headlights aren't on. I rented a Caravan last summer that was like this, and it didn't have auto lights on it either.

If the gauges are going to be lit at full brightness all of the time then they should make auto lights standard with those vehicles.
                    Agreed because of this so many people in calgary (at least) never turn on their low beams and im like wtf and when i usually flash them they dont get what i'm trying to do..

and with the DRL thingy, i think its okay as long as they're not super bright in your face type of lightning. i know for sure if Calgary had a snowstorm the DRL will help show where cars are coming from and what not imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphazone View Post
                      Agreed because of this so many people in calgary (at least) never turn on their low beams and im like wtf and when i usually flash them they dont get what i'm trying to do..
                      i feel you, im in calgary too. people here have no night time lights on, only DRL so i flash them, they flash back and they still dont get it. ffs............

like 1 in 20 cars dont have their night time lights on,and another 1 in 20 have their highbeams on (day and night) how the **** did they get a drivers license.

the guy going 10 over the posted speed limit gets ticketed all the time, speed traps everywhere. but the lady driving with no lights on, burnt out brake lights, bald summer tires in winter, no, thats fine apparently.
                      Last edited by michael.kozera; February 4th, 2014, 12:07 PM.
                      Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
                        i feel you, im in calgary too. people here have no night time lights on, only DRL so i flash them, they flash back and they still dont get it. ffs............

like 1 in 20 cars dont have their night time lights on,and another 1 in 20 have their highbeams on (day and night) how the **** did they get a drivers license.

the guy going 10 over the posted speed limit gets ticketed all the time, speed traps everywhere. but the lady driving with no lights on, burnt out brake lights, bald summer tires in winter, no, thats fine apparently.
                        LOL there's so many people on the road that make me question how the **** they even got their license in the first place... im beginning to think people are just buying them like candy.

Comment

hate it when ppl have drl on and no rear markers. if they wanted DRL to be functional then they should have automatic lights with phtoto sensor on dash so it would remove driver from doing anything with lights. on my chevy van, lights come on as soon as i start the van (granted i leave when it still dark out).

also, they should have interconnect windshield wipers with headlights. if you turn wipers on, headlights should come on automatically (this is actualy law in PA, Wipers on, Headlights on)
                          My Feedback
                          http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40647

Comment

Originally posted by sy272004 View Post
                            hate it when ppl have drl on and no rear markers. if they wanted DRL to be functional then they should have automatic lights with phtoto sensor on dash so it would remove driver from doing anything with lights. on my chevy van, lights come on as soon as i start the van (granted i leave when it still dark out).

also, they should have interconnect windshield wipers with headlights. if you turn wipers on, headlights should come on automatically (this is actualy law in PA, Wipers on, Headlights on)
                            My grandparent's Charger has the headlights come on automatically after the wipers have been on for more than a couple seconds. My aunts 04 Grand Cherokee was the same way too, it even had rain sensing wipers that would turn the headlights on as well as the wipers.

Comment

Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
                              No need to talk down others just because you can't take a second to tell if someone's backing up or not. Is it a stupid system, yeah, do you need to be an ass about it, no.
                              My apologies, I got off topic and combined it with a poor choice of words. Post edited.

More on topic, I'd be curious to know who originally lobbied for DRL. Was it a legitimate effort to make vehicles more safe that ended up being misguided, or was there money to made somewhere? Sure, a lot more gas is used when you look at the millions of vehicles running DRL, and sure, a lot more light bulbs burn up due to usage, but I think it was probably based on an inaccurate study somewhere that never fully studied the effectiveness of DRL when combined with human judgement, or lack thereof. It's interesting that it's not a required feature on vehicles still (in the US at least) but manufacturers still include it. I guess they're another "safety feature" to add to their list on the window sticker...

Automatic headlights are a great feature, though some manufacturers do a much better job at implementation. Same goes for the headlights-on-with wipers feature.
                              Last edited by Speedrye; February 4th, 2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedrye View Post

More on topic, I'd be curious to know who originally lobbied for DRL.
                                in my link provided in the beginning:

"Initially, NHSTA said safety experiences in northern countries had no direct application to the United States. But, in a strange reversal of tradition, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) began embracing DRL regulatory proposals at the request of petitions from General Motors."

also:

"But in 1990, General Motors pushed NHTSA again, asking for a national standard permitting an optional DRL system. NHTSA complied two years later, and therein lies the problem."

so in conclusion GM is to blame for the instigation of DRL.

Comment

Working...
                                X