The Dangers of DRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dangers of DRL

thought i would share what i found, its confirmed alot of my suspicions of DRL and why DRL especially in the USA are a bad idea. or at the very least its a good read/ different opinion.

http://www.lightsout.org/story.htmlThe Case Against DRLs

Unlike our opponents, we have clear reasons for our position, some of which you've already read:
    1. The original concept for DRLs was to compensate for a lighting deficiency. We don't have such a deficiency in the United States!

2. Since we have greater natural light, the auto manufacturers have increased the intensity of their DRLs. Just what we need: Bright lights hitting your eyes while you're trying to drive a car on a busy highway!

3. Safety features need not create hazards and, more to the point, should not be so very, very annoying to so many people. Humans, by our very nature, tend to avoid disturbing stimuli, thus taking our eyes off the road! Some people respond to DRLs by avoiding looking directly at other cars on the road. Some avoid using their rear- or side-view mirrors. Some are even using devices which are already on the market to reduce the glare from oncoming DRLs. These actions by people will result in them being less observant, therefore, worse drivers and more accident prone.

4. Current data on the safety benefits of DRLs has been misinterpreted by proponents of DRLs. They have absolutely no positive effect on bright sunny days. The data should be interpreted thusly: People are not turning on their lights in conditions requiring illumination -- e.g. rain, snow, fog, dusk, dawn, etc. -- and therefore the problem is driver error. The solution, logically, should be driver improvement.

5. Of all the myriad categories of motor vehicle crashes, DRL use is arguably associated with improving one, maybe two types. The better solution to highway safety is driver improvement; this would substantially and dramatically decrease accidents of all types.

6. People will literally die because of DRL use. By failing to institute the correct solution to problems illustrated by DRL data -- driver error -- people will continue to die and be injured who might otherwise have been spared from such incidents. Furthermore, we believe the annoyance and distraction caused by DRL-equipped vehicles will be significant, but we also believe this will never be admitted or assigned to DRL use by their proponents.

7. DRLs are an inefficient use of resources. Lights will have to be replaced more frequently, and it will have to be done by auto service personnel. Fuel consumption will increase and, although it's not much per car, it is an astronomical dollar figure when multiplied by the millions of vehicles in this country. Conservative estimates place the figure at 604 million gallons of fuel per year, resulting in 8 billion pounds of CO2 being exhausted into the atmosphere. What's even worse, in testing vehicles for fuel efficiency, GM has requested -- and received -- permission from the federal government to disconnect DRLs so as not to be penalized for poorer fuel efficiency. So consumers are not able to know how DRLs will affect their fuel efficiency when buying a car. See NHTSA's correspondence with the EPA regarding DRLs' CAFE exemption.

8. DRLs represent stone-age technology in the 21st century. Since cars do not need illumination at all hours, why not install sensors to activate headlights when ambient light is insufficient? The technology exists, and is already in use on several vehicle models.

9. DRLs are insulting to our intelligence. DRL proponents assume that drivers are not intelligent enough to know when to turn on their lights. By implication, then, DRL proponents are saying, in effect, that the states are licensing unqualified drivers! Driving is a skill. Observation is a skill. With proper experience and training, these skills are integrated in the person of a safe driver. Both of these skills can be nurtured or improved in every driver. But, neither skill will be enhanced in today's environment if it believes safety lies in the gadgets and misinterpreted data. Safety, in reality, is nothing more than the collective responsibility of each individual to be the best driver -- the most observant, the most cautious, the most defensive, the most skilled -- that he or she can be.

10. What is the industry's motivation? Safety? We think not. Again, follow the money trail.
    Even some level heads within the automotive industry have been reluctant to embrace DRLs. "It's not that we are against them, but we haven't seen any real evidence of the safety benefits," said Chrysler spokesman Jason Vines. (Automotive News, 1995.) "We are not convinced yet that they're going to be beneficial," said Ford's manager of advance safety, Sherman Henson. And even GM's executives have their doubts: "The research on whether or not daytime running lights are effective is mixed," said the company's director of legal and safety issues.
    Many more U.S. industry and safety officials say the theory behind DRLs needs further testing. And some suggest that GM's motivation is sales, not safety. It makes sense, in a time when airbags, anti-lock brakes and built-in child-safety seats are all the rage in new-car advertising.
    There are millions of individuals who feel as we do about DRLs, but so far we exist without an organization to represent our views and channel our thoughts, our votes and our purchasing power where it needs to go. We urge every individual who shares our concern about DRLs to join our organization. If we act in concert, they will feel our might. Without us, so called "safety people" will engage in further feel-good policymaking that will only justify their jobs.
    Last edited by michael.kozera; December 27th, 2014, 11:24 PM.
    Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Here's some more hard info: According to this NHTSA study, you're 9% more likely to be in a fatal accident if your car has DRL than a car without. That's sobering right there.
    This doesn't even account for the accidents caused by DRL users forgetting to turn their headlights on after dark. I see those idiots every single day.
    http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811029.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Speedrye View Post
      Here's some more hard info: According to this NHTSA study, you're 9% more likely to be in a fatal accident if your car has DRL than a car without. That's sobering right there.
      This doesn't even account for the accidents caused by DRL users forgetting to turn their headlights on after dark. I see those idiots every single day.
      http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811029.pdf
      i think this is a far more dangerous scenario then DRL during the day. it happens ALOT here in Calgary.

in fact just the other day i turned past a SUV and the guy behind him (black civic with tint and black wheels) had nothing on but DRL and i almost smacked him on the side/back, if i didn't have studded winter tires i would have totaled him.
      Last edited by michael.kozera; February 3rd, 2014, 06:52 PM.
      Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

I think DRLs are partially to blame, but instrument clusters that are lit 100% of the time are also a huge danger since that's the most visible interface a driver has to know his lights are on. Of course, I don't understand how one can be so oblivious to not know that it's dark out and not notice that they can't see s**t.

Comment

People are not smart enough to turn there headlights on when needed.
          How many people drive around at night with no lights on or no markers in rain/fog? I see it almost daily.
          Anthony
          2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback
          2008 Wrangler Unlimited FX-R Retrofit
          2011 Fiesta Retrofit Number 2

Comment

^^Truth!

Comment

i don't really like drl's, but i would like it if all the cars on the road would start using their parking lamps whenever the vehicle is active-- not a bright light, just enough to signify the car is running and could move at any time. with how quiet cars have become(especially electric cars), it's growing ever harder to determine if someone is about to drive their car into you.. there's been a couple of times where i'm paying attention in a parking lot and still nearly get run over by a car i never saw start moving..
              The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Just goes to show that there are people driving who shouldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                  i don't really like drl's, but i would like it if all the cars on the road would start using their parking lamps whenever the vehicle is active-- not a bright light, just enough to signify the car is running and could move at any time. with how quiet cars have become(especially electric cars), it's growing ever harder to determine if someone is about to drive their car into you.. there's been a couple of times where i'm paying attention in a parking lot and still nearly get run over by a car i never saw start moving..
                  I have a bigger problem with cars that light up the reverse lights when the doors are unlocked. This is the dumbest thing I've seen in recent years since it looks like they're going to back up when in parking lots. I do usually run with my parking lights on, though I'm not sure why...

Comment

^^ I do agree with that lol.

Comment

I have a bigger problem with cars that light up the reverse lights when the doors are unlocked. This is the dumbest thing I've seen in recent years since it looks like they're going to back up when in parking lots. I do usually run with my parking lights on, though I'm not sure why...
                      completely agree. there's been more then one occasion where i'll try to let an unoccupied car back up... the GM engineer that thought that one up needs a swift kick to the head...
                      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        Just goes to show that there are people driving who shouldn't be.
                        Very true.
                        We need (both side of the boarder) better driver education.

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                        completely agree. there's been more then one occasion where i'll try to let an unoccupied car back up... the GM engineer that thought that one up needs a swift kick to the head...
                        So true. I hate GMs for that one reason.
                        Who the hell thought that was a good idea?!?!?
                        Anthony
                        2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback
                        2008 Wrangler Unlimited FX-R Retrofit
                        2011 Fiesta Retrofit Number 2

Comment

Here in the uk cars from 2011 had to have them on as standard from factory I think its a waste of time here you get a lot of drivers don't turn there main lights on as the drls as so bright and they are driving down the road with no rear lamps should ban them...

Comment

Most vehicles made in the last 5-8 years have auto headlights so the driver doesn't have to worry about turning on the headlights when it gets dark enough to actually use them. Both of my trucks and my wife's car has them. I can't tell you the last time I've even touched the switch lol.

Instead of looking at the reverse lights, look for the tail/brake lights. If the tail/brake lights are not lit, the car isn't going anywhere.

Originally posted by Blurred Talon View Post
                            So true. I hate GMs for that one reason.
                            Who the hell thought that was a good idea?!?!?
                            I do. Both my trucks are GM and I actually like it. If its a dark parking lot I can unlock my truck and with the reverse leds it lights up a path to the vehicle. Also it makes it easy to find my truck in a crowded parking lot. It's the same with puddle lights on the mirrors, only there to help illuminate the ground upon entry to your vehicle.
                            ***MH1 Retro***
                            "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
                            - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Blurred Talon View Post
                              Very true.
                              We need (both side of the boarder) better driver education.
                              It is, generally speaking, too easy to get a driver license (at least in NYC). You often see people cannot even parallel park their cars. I am not saying I am a good driver but I am just more cautious. For me, it is the inexperience, arrogance and lack of education which cause so many unnecessary accidents happen on the road everyday.

If people could be more considerate ...

Comment

Working...
                              X