Installed 2013 Ford F150 HID's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed 2013 Ford F150 HID's

Bought the new 2013 Ford FX2/4 HID projector headlights. Had to pick them up from UPS today but got them installed. They look great and I can't wait to see them at night. I'm going to order some Recon smoked LED turn signals to replace the stock amber reflector on the mirror. Should help clean it up some. May opt to do a EvoX projector swap later since its a direct drop in and convert to D2S. But for now I'm loving them!

Update: Output pic time!

Overall this is a MAJOR improvement over the stock halogens or even a PnP HID kit in the stock reflector. There are much better projectors out there but unless you are really into HID lighting and want the best, these will suffice for anyone out there off the showroom floor. The high beam is really amazing and reminds me of my old Hella E55 retro in my Integra back in the late 90's. Loved that high beam. The pictures don't do the high beam justice as it I would of had to overexpose in order to pic up all the light, you guys know how it is. The low beam is not super wide but where it may lack on the width the fog lights fill in those areas nicely blending into the HID pattern. You can see the fogs filling in the area in the rear low beam pic. But yes I will need to do something about them, either matchbox projectors or D2 Dually LED's.

All pictures except head-on shots were taken with the same locked exposure and metering.

Low beam...

High beam...

Low beam...

High beam...

Low beam...

High beam...

Last edited by haknslash; March 1st, 2013, 08:41 PM.

Yeah ditch the amber. Yuck.

You going to retro the fogs? Black shrouds would really clean it up. Looks good!

Comment

Yea thinking LED or something for fogs. Thanks!

Comment

Agree with bvc on the fog retro with black shrouds. CLEAN truck man. Love the new gen F-150. Especially the new HID headlights. Saw the output in person one day and I remember thinking "damn, looks bright!"

Comment

LOVE those shrouds! Let us know what the beam looks like when the sun goes down!

Comment

Damn the F150's are pretty sexy, even sexier with HID's now too. Do these have auto leveling motors? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was a law for trucks and SUV's with HID's to have auto leveling motors installed? Maybe that's Euro standard though, I can't remember.

Comment

Don't worry guys. DSLR output pics and video tonight!

I just noticed that the shrouds have this ribbed glow effect to them when the light is on. Like they are sort of transparent to give off a halo look but its real faint. You can kind of see it in the headlight close-up pic. Pretty cool!

nah these don't come with auto leveling motors. Would be sweet. One day ill have a ride with AFS.

Thanks guys!

Next up is wheels. I've decided on the new Bravado Axe wheels. Bravado is a specialty line made by Konig and made to order. 1-piece, machined with graphite accent spokes. Going 22x9.5 with 305/45r22 tires.

Here's a photoshop of them. Has a clean kind of oem look to them IMHO

Last edited by haknslash; March 1st, 2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I love the headlights and the truck. good to see you on the board again, been awhile.

Comment

Thanks! I'm usually on here. I just don't post since being stuck in halogen land for what feels like an eternity

Comment

Personally not a fan of thin spokes on a big truck. It's like the same effect of new 250 or 2500 with small tires. Big trucks should have big parts. Not held with tooth pics

but hey, can't please everyone lol but I do admire the concept of the two tone. Should blend in well

Comment

Love your truck! I'm with everyone else and think you should retro your fogs. Get a matchbox projector retrofit and have the microgatling shroud painted black with an led halo behind the shroud. Here are some pics of mine with a white led halo and shrouds left chrome.

Fogs_03.jpg

20130113_005.jpg

20130120_110856.jpg

And those wheels look great too. I've been looking at wheels and you may have chosen them for me!

Comment

Update 1st post with output pics.

Comment

Not too bad. Think the evox-r will be any better?

Comment

Yea tuxedoblack has a thread on here where he replaced the projector with the EvoX. It's a direct drop-in replacement in terms of mounting the projector. Same mounts on the bowl and everything lol. Would have to convert over to D2S as these are D3S, but that's all later down the road, if at all. By the time I retro the fogs with either LEDs or HID projector I think it would be plenty of light for any situation. For now I'm realll happy to be back in HID!!!

Comment

In my opinion I don't think you should do anything with the fog lights. If you even want to go in the direction of blacking the truck out then you should also focus on the wheels as well. Those would stick out like a sore thumb if you keep those stock and black everything else out.

Comment

Working...
                              X