Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy fast bright ballasts online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy fast bright ballasts online?

I am looking for a 55w fast bright ballast to go with an H4 HID. This is going to be for a flashlight modification (thor cyclops mod). Can anyone recommend a site to purchase this ballast online? This ballast was recommended to me on candle power forums because it warms up much faster than a conventional ballast which would be very useful in a flashlight.

Thanks so much!

I don't know how fast you need it to be, but TRS sells their 5five ballasts (found at their store: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=21743 ) that warm up to full specs within 4-5 seconds if I recall correctly.

You could call them & tell them you only need one ballast. Shouldn't be a problem IMO..
    2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

And the new 55s are thinner!

Comment

Or pick up a single Hella Gen 3 with $12 of parts from Digi-keys and little knowledge of soldering skills. You can boost it to whatever value you prefer from 38w-55w, i opt for 55w and the 5Five SS got blew away. It start up so fast 1sec or less. Very bright...

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

Originally posted by Sw07tC View Post
          Or pick up a single Hella Gen 3 with $12 of parts from Digi-keys and little knowledge of soldering skills. You can boost it to whatever value you prefer from 38w-55w, i opt for 55w and the 5Five SS got blew away. It start up so fast 1sec or less. Very bright...
          Or yes you can go this route too just a bit more expensive though.

Comment

If you got patience! I do see sometimes a single goes for $50 or cheaper shipped from ebay, plus $12 of parts from digikeys. Not too bad for an OEM unit vs the china ones at close to the price. But if you don't have any soldering equipments then it may not worth a try. 5Five SS will be your choice. But i think it didn't get really good output testing results on the 35w-55w round up thread.

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

I didn't think Hella/Matsushita ballasts were good with aftermarket bulbs.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by wireless View Post
                I don't know how fast you need it to be, but TRS sells their 5five ballasts (found at their store: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=21743 ) that warm up to full specs within 4-5 seconds if I recall correctly.

You could call them & tell them you only need one ballast. Shouldn't be a problem IMO..
                Ok I will try to call them and ask them for the price of 1 ballast. I'm trying to not spend too much so hopefully I can get their base kit price ($200) to something much lower.

Originally posted by Sw07tC View Post
                I probably don't want to be soldering for this mod which will be my first. But if you have any other suggestions for places to get the ballast I would appreciate.

Thanks all.

Comment

Would this one work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-HID-Bi-Xen...268657&vxp=mtr

Comment

distantXtremes -> http://www.dxhid.com/slimdigitalhidkits.htm f3, f5, or f7 great kits, great service too
                    S2000's at 55w have no competition

Comment

Originally posted by Mat W. Lemke View Post
                      distantXtremes -> http://www.dxhid.com/slimdigitalhidkits.htm f3, f5, or f7 great kits, great service too
                      I'm sorry but I cannot see where to buy the kits you specified on their site. They have ebay links to other kits that are over $500. Can you please show me where the F5 kit is?

Comment

I still have to recommend TRS's ballast. Theoretically, it should only cost $55 and it'll work great for you and put out 50w of light..

Comment

Originally posted by wireless View Post
                          I still have to recommend TRS's ballast. Theoretically, it should only cost $55 and it'll work great for you and put out 50w of light..
                          I have emailed them to ask about buying only 1 ballast. We will see what they say but in the mean time I want to look for other options.

Comment

Hey all, instead of cluttering with a new thread I thought I'd just ask in here(sorry if I'm thread high jacking).
                            I need a 50w ballast to go with my sealed 7 kit for a 2011 Wrangler JK. Will use CBIs, MOPAR harness, and halos and everything else from TRS. Only non TRS item will be ballasts because I'm waiting for new gen TRS ballasts to come out. So, I need something that is fast, weatherproof and mostly reliable. A member posted this here sometime ago, (CJOH, I think)
                            http://m.aliexpress.com/item/900707846.html
                            What ur thoughts are. I read here that fast bright f5 and f3 were supposed to be relatively good. I don't wanna go OEM and boost it because I just don't have the time and know how now. And I don't wanna go Mori because of realizability issues and Slower start up.
                            Please chime in, anyone who has had experience with these.
                            Last edited by Nuvolari; August 31st, 2014, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I've been using my F3 Fast Brights for a few months now, and they work great. I've also sold two pairs to a friend, and he's also very happy about them. They fire up every time, are wicked fast and just work. No flicker or retries or anything - they're right on point on the first try. His only comment was that they get a bit hot, but as he ziptied two and two together that's probably the reason... My ballasts don't get abnormally hot with the use they see.

I can't see any reason why the F5s should be any different, and at the price point they're sold at, there's really no reason not to buy.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Working...
                              X