Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting New Headlight Lenses - How To?...But Not With Lamin-X, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting New Headlight Lenses - How To?...But Not With Lamin-X, etc.

So I just completed my MH1 retrofit using parts from both my stock headlights and some aftermarket DEPO ones on my '05 Accord. I used the back half of the stock ones and the reflector bowls form the stock ones, but used the blacked out bezel piece and new lenses from the aftermarket set.

My question is how do you guys protect your lenses from oxidation? I'm wanting to do everything I can to keep this set looking crystal clear, so any tips would be greatly appreciated! And I'm not talking about putting lamin-x on it, but rather what kind of compounds, waxes, etc do you use to keep them protected? Thanks!

-Mike

Stay away from oil/petroleum based waxes. They cause the clear coat to crack prematurely.

Comment

I've used Meguiar's Headlight Protectant.

Comment

Lamin-X or have a body shop spray on clear coat so you can polish/wax for years to come.

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

I'm not sure if this would work as well for protecting a fresh lens, but a combination I found that works great for resurfacing is a small mixture of 60% Minwax indoor/outdoor Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss (has UV protectants since it's meant to be in the sun), and 40% low odor mineral spirits. The lights on my car started to cloud about a year ago and applying this mixture after rough and fine sanding worked very well. The only thing is that the polyurethane wants to dry quickly, so you have to coat the lens quickly and evenly. Any brand of blue shop rags folded into a tight square to apply it will do the job.
          Last edited by ScottW; January 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM.
          | Video game lighting artist | Pew pew!

Comment

What about 3m clear vinyl? I had its pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by TRSAndrew View Post
              Lamin-X or have a body shop spray on clear coat so you can polish/wax for years to come.
              +1
              @OP: why not use clear headlight film?
              My oem headlights remained clear for more than 10 years without any need for polishing. It should last longer but I replaced them with retrofitted housings.
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I had Lamin-x on my headlights for about a year, and when i decided to pull them off to do a retrofit......complete nightmare! the glue stays on the lens and the film comes off. I spent a day, 2 bottles of Goo Gone and a plastic putty knife trying to get it off. End result was messed up headlight lens'.
                Now: Morimoto Mini H1, xb35 5000k, Denso Slim ballasts.
                Next:
                Fx-r 3.0, CBI, relay harness

Comment

Originally posted by danimal86 View Post
                  I had Lamin-x on my headlights for about a year, and when i decided to pull them off to do a retrofit......complete nightmare! the glue stays on the lens and the film comes off. I spent a day, 2 bottles of Goo Gone and a plastic putty knife trying to get it off. End result was messed up headlight lens'.
                  Well you know that you need to completely clean your lenses before applying the lamin-x right? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    +1
                    @OP: why not use clear headlight film?
                    My oem headlights remained clear for more than 10 years without any need for polishing. It should last longer but I replaced them with retrofitted housings.
                    I wasn't too sure on how well they remove or if baking them in the oven should you decide to re-do or upgrade projectors would harm them. What brand film did you use? I also like the idea of just getting them cleared at a body shop for extra protection.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                      I'm not sure if this would work as well for protecting a fresh lens, but a combination I found that works great for resurfacing is a small mixture of 60% Minwax indoor/outdoor Helmsman spar urethane clear gloss (has UV protectants since it's meant to be in the sun), and 40% low odor mineral spirits. The lights on my car started to cloud about a year ago and applying this mixture after rough and fine sanding worked very well. The only thing is that the polyurethane wants to dry quickly, so you have to coat the lens quickly and evenly. Any brand of blue shop rags folded into a tight square to apply it will do the job.
                      ^^^ i heard somewhere else more like a 50/50 mix. best thing you can do i did this on my headlights but gotta use something to apply it with that wont leave any residue. So many trial and error with a applying cloth that left particules of it itself so end up buying a air paint sprayer. The mix self levels after applied so you'll have brand new looking lenses and uv protected. Also be aware of dust particules they can be a biotch..

Comment

To the OP, any of that stuff, 3m lamin-x road film windows tint ect you need a heat gun to remove it, it softens the glue then pull in a firm but gentle motion after you have a corner lifted off, it should then come off with no residue, i worked for a vinyl decal shop for a few months and that is how we removed the old decals.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                          Well you know that you need to completely clean your lenses before applying the lamin-x right? LOL
                          Yes, i used a 3M Restoration kit and cleaned the hell out of them before i laid them on. I tried everything i could think of while peeling it off to try to get the glue to come with the film.
                          Now: Morimoto Mini H1, xb35 5000k, Denso Slim ballasts.
                          Next:
                          Fx-r 3.0, CBI, relay harness

Comment

Originally posted by md7989 View Post
                            I wasn't too sure on how well they remove or if baking them in the oven should you decide to re-do or upgrade projectors would harm them. What brand film did you use? I also like the idea of just getting them cleared at a body shop for extra protection.
                            I bought mine from xpel; they are supposedly based off the 3M ScotchCal clear film (this was the 3M brand name more than 10 years ago; and I found out that they've switched it to the ScotchGard brand name line since, and then stopped making a complete clear film for lenses). I chose the 40 mil thickness spec for headlights and foglights. I've also used Lamin-X film (same 40 mil thickness for headlight, 8 mil for paint protection) on different vehicles. Since I've owned the others for less than 5 years, I can't say if there is a difference between the 2 brands. The 8 mil xpel film is starting to weather now after 10+ years; not a bad job protecting the engine hood from small nicks. Time for a new one.
                            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by danimal86 View Post
                              the secret to that is you have to heat it before you pull it off. same concept of removing window tint...heat it first and 90% of the glue comes off with the film. do it at ambient temp and 90% stays on the glass

Comment

Working...
                              X