Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does ballast performance degrade over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does ballast performance degrade over time?

Ive got the original osram ballasts on my 2002. Light output seems normal, color is matched, but have I lost lumens simply due to them being 10 years old? Or is it simply...they either work or they dont?

No, ballast's either work or they don't. Bulbs on the other hand will lose lumens over time.

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

Ballast components do degrade but the effect is insignificant. Once they go, they go. You're seeing your bulbs get old on you, that is what degrades over time.

Comment

No, I just replacedmy ultinons with CBIs a few weeks ago. Im gonna be doing a clear lens swap and maybe a washer mod in a few weeks. Was just seeing if I should maybe replace the ballast while I am it. But now I know i dont need to. Thanks!

Comment

No, ballast do not lose performance and OEM ballasts last sometimes longer than the car.

Comment

You only need to replace a ballast when it fails. Granted, this is for OEM, cheap aftermarket ballasts will have all sorts of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
              You only need to replace a ballast when it fails. Granted, this is for OEM, cheap aftermarket ballasts will have all sorts of issues.
              Good to know. My ballast are roughly 5 years old and work perfectly fine. They are Denos's so I'm wary about replacing them. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by CookieRoe View Post

Good to know. My ballast are roughly 5 years old and work perfectly fine. They are Denos's so I'm wary about replacing them. Thanks!
                Yeah, generally, it's easy with ballasts, they either work or they don't. 5 year old Densos are perfectly fine. It's the bulbs that wear out.

Comment

Old ballast crew checking in. My Philips LVQ0212 ballasts are still functioning perfectly on my Integra GSR, that I bought and installed 20 years ago this year.
                  1994 BG-33P Paradise Blue Integra GS-R
                  Full 98+ conversion
                  Morimoto D2S 5.0 bi-xenon projectors

Comment

Working...
                  X