Protective headlight film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protective headlight film

Anyone use protective headlight film? I was thinking of getting some to put on my headlights since they're new and clear. Would they keep them from or help prevent them from getting yellowed over time? Would there be any negative affects from using them?

Thanks.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
    FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Just wax them when you wash the car.

Comment

Clear coat iirc will keep the yellow away.

But come to think of it, having some headlight tear offs would be pretty sweet so that when they get dirty you just tear the top layer off and boom clean!
      Headlight Sealant Database ****** PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!

NEW! Benchtop Power Supplies <----- JOIN THE GROUP BUY TODAY!

Comment

You want to make sure whatever you use doesn't affect the output.... a lot of these films might look clear, but can definitely reduce the output or make it fuzzy. Just park in the shade or away from the sun, and you should be fine for a few years. Especially those lights, they are nearly parallel to the sun.

Comment

Refractive index, attenuation of photons: anything you put over your lens will increase the effect of both of these.
          Headlight Sealant Database ****** PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!

NEW! Benchtop Power Supplies <----- JOIN THE GROUP BUY TODAY!

Comment

alright then, I won't bother with them. Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
              alright then, I won't bother with them. Thanks for the info guys!
              Well, I use film over mine and have been happy thus far...3M scotchgard film is optically clear and if applied right is no problem over the light whatsover, practically speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by branded View Post
                Well, I use film over mine and have been happy thus far...3M scotchgard film is optically clear and if applied right is no problem over the light whatsover, practically speaking.
                so the 3m film doesn't affect the output or anything?

Comment

I use Xpel ultimate self healing film over my head and tail lights and if applied properly, they wont interfere with the output and protect the lenses!

Comment

I've used clear 40mil thick lens films on all my recent vehicles, including one that I've owned for 11+ years. I didn't do a side by side before and after pics, but I still see my purple/blue colorband on my e55r. Here's my install/how to thread:
                    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-aging-result)
                    I'm not saying that all clear films are of the same quality though (they may or may not be). The ones I've used seem fine. My link above has more info.
                    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I might give it a try after all. The film is relatively cheap so if it doesn't turn out well I wouldn't be out much.

Comment

I'd like to get some put on..
                        2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by wireless View Post
                          I'd like to get some put on..
                          What do you mean? Have someone install it for you?

Make sure it's a 40 mil instead of the thinner 8 to 12 mil typically made for paint protection (which I also use). I've had reasonable luck with the ones that xpel and macneil (the online store that makes those weathertech floor mats) make. Lamin-X's clear is also good afaik.

For your Fusion, you could almost do a cold install, meaning without heating the film at all. Although heating it up (see my thread linked above) helps make the install easier and makes for best result in terms of optical clarity.
                          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

i would never use the stuff. get a quality plastic protectant and apply it monthly. film gets old over time and collects dirt around the edges. it also blocks some light output like adding a second headlamp lens over the projector. one lens is already bad enough.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                              What do you mean? Have someone install it for you?

Make sure it's a 40 mil instead of the thinner 8 to 12 mil typically made for paint protection (which I also use). I've had reasonable luck with the ones that xpel and macneil (the online store that makes those weathertech floor mats) make. Lamin-X's clear is also good afaik.

For your Fusion, you could almost do a cold install, meaning without heating the film at all. Although heating it up (see my thread linked above) helps make the install easier and makes for best result in terms of optical clarity.
                              Well, I'm not sure if it has to be cut etc. I'd likely put it on if I can get a pre-cut one, but I'm not sure if I can. I don't have THAT much of a steady hand.. lol.
                              2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X