No announcement yet.

Experiment: virtual iris effect (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiment: virtual iris effect (pics)

Looking for suggestions/ideas in terms of background lighting setup for taking pictures with a similar effect below. (admin&/mod: I'm not sure if this qualifies as a photography thread; currently posting in the general thread)

I used to own an H3 halogen powered Optilux projector fogs with dichroic coating. Unlit, the lens shows a rich purple-blue-yellow hue. Having stared at my recent build for an extended amount of time, I missed having that effect on the projector lenses. I'm not planning to take the headlight apart anytime soon, so I just wanted to see if I can achieve the same effect through proper setup of the photos, but no photoshop editing.

With that in mind, I tried the effect of adding lighting coming from the same direction of the camera on my EvoX-R and Mini D2S. Light source is a 3 LED flashlight, ~5000K color, in addition to ambient light. Here's the flashlight illuminating a test acrylic piece for some light diffuser experiments.

With flashlight.

The dichroic coating on the 3000K Morimoto D2S capsules inside the Mini D2S (top projectors) as well as the clear 4300K inside the EvoX-R (bottom) bounce back interesting colors. The brushed aluminum reverse squirrel finder on the Mini D2S and the brushed aluminum foreground limiter & solenoid shields on the Evo-R amplifies the effect.

A similar shot minus the flashlight:
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

More closeups. Depending on the angle of the flashlight, the iris look comes with different color patterns.

Comment

Staring into the iris..

Comment

where is this iris?

Comment

By iris, I meant a cloudy colorful appearance, not strictly iris in the sense of the eye optics.
          Blue, hazel, ...

Comment

Originally posted by TrakTuned View Post
            where is this iris?
            In the projector lenses.

Comment

that wouldent be an iris its would be an tapinum lucidium (the eye gowing effect)
              my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
              04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
              2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
              07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Comment

lol you had to go there huh Sarge...Aways showin off that brain of yours

And got it guys. It threw me for a loop, I was just enjoying the pictures hehe

Comment

its only rite plus personally having that effect looks cool (ide like to do the camilian painted shield to have an interisten apperence

its pretty cool
                  my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
                  04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
                  2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
                  07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Comment

Originally posted by Da-Sarge View Post
                    that wouldent be an iris its would be an tapinum lucidium (the eye gowing effect)
                    Noted. I learned something new not HID related in this forum.
                    So I should've used the word "Eyeshine" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum), which I haven't heard before today either.

But back to my original question. Does anyone have suggestions in how to generate a stronger effect without resorting to a retrofit? (i.e. just lighting & camera angle)

Comment

You could have the lenses sputtered with any variety of metals. Gold - for example - will obviously appear gold at certain angles but it will be transparent. Though the lens will be tinted a greenish-gray because of it.

Comment

^
                        that sounds expensive

Comment

Working...
                        X