Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Projector or Bad LED? or bad optics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Projector or Bad LED? or bad optics?

So I have an h1 LED in a h1 projector. With the halogen h1, the projector lit up the wall pretty well (as it was used for high beams) but after installing h1 LEDs, the LED simply just lights up the lens of the projector, as if it was a demon eye or something...

So is it bad optics because halogen bulbs have a better "spread" or could it be that my chinese h1 leds are cheap?

I'd vote on the led being the problem.
    2003 New Beetle TDI FX-R & Mini H1 with hybrid leveling

New Beetle FX-R & Mini H1 Performance Videos

Comment

You CANNOT simply just replace a halogen bulb with an LED bulb. The optics are two completely different focal points. LED's don't even work properly in reflectors, they just light the reflectors and scatter the light a little. Most of the lumens are destroyed and there is typically no visible light output to be seen. Putting in them in projectors will cause only the lens to illuminate basically.

Yes, we all wish we could replace low/high beams with LED bulbs that easily, but it is not that easy sadly. Just look at Audi and BMW that have spent years researching and producing practical uses for the LED low beams. There is just no way right now that anyone could produce a "PnP LED" replacement bulb for a halogen based headlamp that would produce usable lumens and light output.

So in conclusion, there is NOTHING wrong with your projector's optics. The projector was designed for halogen. Even if you put HID in, there would still be usable light output. The reason you are experienceing these conflicts is because the LED bulb is not a compatible replacement type bulb (yet) .

Comment

LED bulb never can be replacement/compatible with any halogen or HID bulbs.

H1 LED bulb whatever market calls just mean it has same bulb base of H1 bulb. It never mean you can use as compatible bulb in place of H1 bulb.
        H1 is name of halogen bulb spec, position of filament, output volume, base shape, all aspect makes bulb H1 spec.

It is LED bulb you got is problem of poor lighting but also idea of LED bulb can achieve as H1 bulb replacement (or any other halogen, filament based, hid bulbs)is bigger problem, it's not because they are cheep Chinese LED bulb.

LED bulb probably only can be used as marker light in my opinion in halogen optics.

Comment

dammit...
          i went with an leds because there are no amber h1 halogen bulbs...
          and most of you guys know that the h1 slot is very tiny so its not really easy "retro-ing" a fat amber blinker bulb in there (7440, etc)

Comment

what are you trying to do with it? make a turn signal? you might have better luck using a set of blazer projectors-- those use a 880 bulb, but i believe the base is a little larger.

try to look up soulsea's octa-projector build. if i remember right, he's using some blazer projectors flipped upside-down for turn signal usage.
            The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              what are you trying to do with it? make a turn signal? you might have better luck using a set of blazer projectors-- those use a 880 bulb, but i believe the base is a little larger.

try to look up soulsea's octa-projector build. if i remember right, he's using some blazer projectors flipped upside-down for turn signal usage.

Close but i thought it was for a Flash to pass high beam??

Comment

that could be, i mostly just remember the projectors being installed in the trun signal locations.
                The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

true true

Comment

lol no, you cant replace an 1800 lumen H1 bulb with a 50 lumen led bulb.

Comment

Originally posted by 03tahoe2012 View Post
                      Close but i thought it was for a Flash to pass high beam??
                      Two blazer fogs in each housing:

One inverted for flash to pass.
                      One PnP led turn signal/drl switchback.

2015.5 RR V8SC
                      2015 Z06/07

Comment

^ That would look even better if you could cram 4/light instead of two. I like the inverted highs, thats pretty awesome.

Comment

Dodecuplet Retro!?!

2015.5 RR V8SC
                          2015 Z06/07

Comment

Btw, i should add that other than the nice effect PnP 3157 switchback leds are all but useless in blazer fogs.

They did in my case work well ( http://gallery.me.com/soulsea/100056...13127466950001 ) when that space was a sizable reflector but had the output of a filament side marker inside the blazers, which is obviously insufficient for something as important as a turn signal.

2015.5 RR V8SC
                            2015 Z06/07

Comment

LOL @ the OP

Comment

Working...
                              X