Impala retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impala retro

I have a new set of 00-05 Impala headlights. I was going to start the retro this morning but I was kind of leary of putting the headlights into the oven when I noticed the wires for the automatic on/off headlights are I'm the assemblies.

Is there a chance that the wires are going to melt compared to the thick plastic of the assemblies?
    04 Impala SS : HID Equipped

RX-TSXR Retrofitted / Neutral White LED License Plate Lights

Well my housing doesn't have wires on it, but once I put the projector in, and was "rebaking" it, it didn't damage the solenoid wires coming off the projector.
    If there are wires built into the housing, they are designed to handle the heat that comes off the headlights, the oven shouldn't hurt it.

Comment

Cool, I didn't want to have a mess before I even started the retro. I've read a lot of people's opinions about how hot and how long to bake the assemblies. I'm gonna try 220 degrees for 20 minutes. Do I need to keep the oven heat on once I insert the assemblies or cut it off and let the residual heat work on the adhesive?

Comment

I keep it on at 265 for 8 minutes, but lower heat will probably penetrate better.
        FX-R Retrofit

Comment

Yep I do what gary1 said. I do 260F for 8-9 min. Just keep the oven on.

Comment

Preheat to 200-250 and turn it off, then put the lights in. less than 10 minutes has always done the trick for me

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll keep posting pics up as this project progresses.

Comment

I do 15 minutes @ 250 degrees.

Comment

You'll certainly be fine at anything under 300 degrees F

Comment

it wont melt. As long as its not touching any part of the oven you'll be fine

Comment

Damn these assemblies are being a mofo to break open. Now in the oven for the 3rd time... First time @ 220 degrees / 21 min, second time 245 degrees for 16 minutes, now 265 degrees for 8 minutes.

I just praying its not a puddle of plastic when I pull it out this time LOL

Comment

well my highlander's took 2 bakes to open up completly... I know some GM headlights have perma-seal on them, Have the lenses budged at all, or none?

Anyone know if the Impala has perma-seal sealant in it????

Comment

Originally posted by sweeneyp View Post
                          well my highlander's took 2 bakes to open up completly... I know some GM headlights have perma-seal on them, Have the lenses budged at all, or none?

Anyone know if the Impala has perma-seal sealant in it????
                          They haven't budged at all. One housing started to lightly bubble when I took it up to 265 degrees on the 3 trip to the oven. The adhesive they're using is light grey and its a pita!

Comment

my dads 01 impalla has permaseal.the main reason it isnt retroed yet ..

Comment

I'm not one to give up LOL, but I think this might be the time to hand this off to a more experienced retrofitter...

Comment

Working...
                              X