2011 Ford Explorer OEM HIDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Ford Explorer OEM HIDs

My previous car was a Mazda6 modified with FX-R projectors. New car is an '11 Explorer with the OEM HIDs. Performance on the Ford is OK, but not as good as the Mazda was.

Anyway to upgrade the output without changing projectors? I figure the answer is no, but wanted to ask anyway.

Bulbs are D3S.

Here are 2 pics, one of the bulb, and one from the front of the projector.

Comment

Get a clear lens
      2014 Ford Focus SE HB
      2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 on 33/12.50r15 km2s (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by btm757 View Post
        Get a clear lens
        But that would still require me to take the headlights out, and I don't really want to do that. I guess there really isn't anything that i can do.

Comment

One thing you can do is find a brighter bulb, but I don't know if they make any in the D3S size. Other than that maybe you can switch ballast and get a 50W one.

Comment

Here are some night shots, although they look much brighter in photos.

Logo on the side of the shroud, which is kinda cool.

Low beams

High beams

Close up of cutoff

Comment

that projector looks like a hella, maybe similar to a e55 from the looks of the bowl that i can see, does it have a 3" lens?
              '99 Toyota Tacoma, TL\ZKW, DL50's, yourhid 50w ballasts, S2K fogs with 85122 35w
              '08 Can-am Renegade, 9005 Hid kit 4300k
              '76 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup, Hella E-codes, Catz Zeta boosted H4 GE Nighthawks

Comment

Not sure of the size, but its definitely bigger than my wife's Acura RDX projector.

Comment

One more pic.

Ford left, Acura right.

Edited to add that the rdx has the best headlights of any car I've ever driven, BMW, Infiniti, Mazda, or my Ford.

Last edited by harlenm; November 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

wow the ford projectors look nice! kinda like e55 but brighter and really good for distance. the hi beam should be killer on the road. rdx has a nicer cutoff but i like the ford beam better.

if you have $$ to spend, you can always change over to d1s bulbs and ballasts. then you can use the osram CBI 5000k bulbs which are noticably brighter and whiter. d1s and d3s are the same size bulb, but require different ballasts.

Comment

did anyone notice the passenger side is dimmer, again? this is the fourth oem hid setup thats been posted here with dim passenger side. is this a new thing they're doing to make the beam appear more evenly spread from the driver seat? i have this on my valeo retro also (happened by chance) and it makes the ground light look more even compared to both projectors being the same brightness like my old retro.

Comment

The RDX looks REAAAALLLLYYYY nice. :P
                        FX-R Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by gearbox View Post
                          wow the ford projectors look nice! kinda like e55 but brighter and really good for distance. the hi beam should be killer on the road. rdx has a nicer cutoff but i like the ford beam better.

if you have $$ to spend, you can always change over to d1s bulbs and ballasts. then you can use the osram CBI 5000k bulbs which are noticably brighter and whiter. d1s and d3s are the same size bulb, but require different ballasts.
                          The high beam is terrific, the lows are what I'm a little unhappy about.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1 View Post
                            The RDX looks REAAAALLLLYYYY nice. :P
                            They are awesome. Best lights around, I think. And the color flicker on them is nice as well

Comment

unfortunately you would have to open the ford lights and do a clear lens swap with possible spacing to really get the cutoff looking like the acura. it might be worth it depending how easy the lights open up.

Comment

Working...
                              X