This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these Philips bulbs real?

I know this has probably been asked before but the seller swears these are german bulbs.
    Has anyone tried them?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...#ht_986wt_1026

Well the return wire is the wrong color and the band on the bottom is dull, those can be a sign of a fake. The salts do look the right color though, I also don't think those are real Philips boxes either. Would be nice to see a close up of the bulb from the bottom.
    Feedback Thread

04.5 Cummins powered Ram LS430 Bi-Xenon retro, Boosted AL gen1's 35-55-68W on the fly in cab adjustable.

Comment

here's the correspondence:
      Dear factory_xenon,
      Good price but the Ultinons I've seen have a blue wire, are labeled Philips
      and cost twice as much.
      What are these?
      Reply:
      They can be either with a brown or blue ceramic isolator, price is low
      cause we get them from Philips directly.

-factory_xenon
      not sure I buy his answer....I think the many of the sellers are scammers

Comment

Problem is so many sellers offer real good fakes from China now thanks to sites like alibaba it's very hard to tell. I've seen many Philips bulbs that I was told came from ali and there was no way to tell the difference holding them next to a known real bulb. The only thing I could see was while testing they fire up in a different color and rate than the real bulbs did. Other than that they were right on............

Bottom line is if you really want real bulbs then only buy from a Philips authorized dealer. I've even spent a lot of time contacting Philips to get some help with the fakes and after getting transferred many times the final call back said just that. They don't spend any time on detecting fakes or going after people making them. I was a little surprised since many manufactures do go after fakes and for items that sell for a lot less than these bulbs do.
        Feedback Thread

04.5 Cummins powered Ram LS430 Bi-Xenon retro, Boosted AL gen1's 35-55-68W on the fly in cab adjustable.

Comment

Good Advice
          Thanks,
          Have you got a line on some genuine Philips 6000k bulbs?

Comment

Regardless of if the bulb is real or not.. factory_xenon is a great seller for HID components on Ebay. Ive bought Philips D2S bulbs from and Mazda CX-9 HID projectors. Idk if these are real.. but the seller himself is trustworthy.

Comment

ive had a terrible experience with that seller. bought a pair of valeos and they came both with a huge quarter size burn mark (black and brown with no chrome) on the bowls. he would not even answer multiple emails to my question about not even a refund but only wanting store credit as the rules state if a wasnt happy. ended up throwing em away and buying another pair from globalheadlights2 who knows a ton about projectors and says he inspects each bowl personally before even listing them. sure enough they came in brand new condition. price was a bit higher but you get quality.

as for the philips bulbs, the seller has no clue about the item he is selling. Ofcourse its a complete fake made in china garbage, but maybe he is so stupid that he believes his seller and thinks they are real. first problem, the bulbs are 5800K not 6000K as he says in the auction. anyone buying direct from philips would receive official philips datasheets like i have on the product. no factory sends you product without documentation, and no legit seller ignores said documentation and makes up specs. second problem is the return wire. there is only one color return wire for a 5800k ultinon and that is purple. end of story. this is an aftermarket bulb overseas, there is NO oem version as they are completely illegal in usa and europe as the bulb base should state. aftermarket bulbs have colored return wires (almost always blue/purple). There is a very rare philips 6700K ultinon that is legit and has a brown return wire, which is only available in japan. if you find this for less than $400 a pair, its a steal. it also has completely different markings on the bulb base, NOT anything about 85122wx or anything remotely close. and finally, aftermarket philips bulbs are ALWAYS sold in a fancy retail packaging, never in bulk without boxes. im sure there are other problems with the bulb shape itself which is hard to make out in the crappy pics, but there you go. sorry but it just burns me up when legit companies try so hard and spend the $$ to make a really good quality bulb only to have it ripped off and sold as the same thing. and the seller is responsible for distributing counterfeit products as well. i think they call it fraud. and what really gets me is there are people out there that dont know any better buying them and thinking this is what a quality philips bulb should be like. eventually philips will have a terrible reputation when a majority of people keep buying the fakes for cheaper.
              Last edited by gearbox; July 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

i would say the best place to get genuine 5800k ultinons is from overseas. forget about ebay. and i did some checking on a few overseas sites i know they all came back as being out of stock. how would there be so many on ebay from the usa when the countries that manufacture the bulbs are out of stock? lol

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/d2s-bulbs/

Comment

i think those are fake one, although i trust the seller...

this is the latest packaging for philips 85122WX :

Comment

thanks!
                    I appreciate the info from everyone
                    I probably sound naive but I can't believe ebay let's these sellers get away with these scams. It's prolific.
                    You gotta stay smart!

Comment

there are more scams on ebay than ever and i think they just dont have the manpower to do anything. if enough people report it they might look into it. and yes the new package above is correct. the old package had more of a ricer look but the bulbs were the same with a blue return wire. i just found these on ebay and they seem to be legit but they are pretty cheap. since they are authorized dealer, i would just ask to see their papers to prove it. if they give the runaround, fake.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-x-Genuine-PHILI...item4157f73e66
                      Last edited by gearbox; July 23rd, 2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gearbox View Post
                        there are more scams on ebay than ever and i think they just dont have the manpower to do anything. if enough people report it they might look into it. and yes the new package above is correct. the old package had more of a ricer look but the bulbs were the same with a blue return wire. i just found these on ebay and they seem to be legit but they are pretty cheap. since they are authorized dealer, i would just ask to see their papers to prove it. if they give the runaround, fake.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-x-Genuine-PHILI...item4157f73e66
                        they're fake.... i have them, the genuine one don't have stitches on the contact ring.... furthermore that edition of philips 6000K should have holograms all over the box.... this one is chinese stuff.....
                        Last edited by commoner; July 23rd, 2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by commoner View Post
                          they're fake.... i have them, the genuine one don't have stitches on the contact ring.... furthermore that edition of philips 6000K should have holograms all over the box.... this one is chinese stuff.....
                          How are the bulbs? I have trouble discerning Philips over Morimotos. I've been doing some SXS testing and don't see a visual difference on the wall (not enough to justify the price). The quality of Philips bulbs is evident in the build quality which may affect the lifespan but if you can't tell the difference in output while driving, how do you know?

Comment

sheesh thats crazy. i have a pair of ultinons i bought from a member here and im kinda wondering if they are real or not. it has red salt and blue wire but who knows. i also just noticed the ebay auction has a light blue wire and my pair has a dark purple. maybe its just his pics are bad but the color seems a bit off.

as for your question, aftermarket bulbs have nowhere near the testing, precision, quality, and lifespan that oems do. there is no comparison. even if you cant tell the difference now which is strange, you will be able to 500 hrs from now when they are either different colors or way dimmer. or your projectors are damaged from UV radiation.

Comment

these are what i bought, are they real?

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ulbs-(85122-WX)

Comment

Working...
                              X