• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: heat from HID vs Halogen

between a 35w HID and a 55w Halogen (h1 bulb in this case) Which produces

a) more radiant heat?
    b) more surface heat?

thank you.
    Formerly Radioflyer97, had to re-register.

I know 35W HIDs generally run cooler than 55W halogens.

Comment

I have been looking for this answer for a long time already. The reason for this is that my plastic HID reflectors (ZKW) keep getting burned. I rechromed them. that procedure could withstand 180 C (= 356 F)
      But it got burned still. So the answer is: HID has a surface temp of at least higher then 180 C (= 356 F)
      Ik read somwhere that a halogen bulb runs hotter then 250 C (= 482 F)
      Also I read somewhere that the gas inside HID bulb (and I guess therefor the glas surface temp) can reach a temp of above 800 C (= 1472 F) But it was unclear what kind of xenon bulb they were talking about.

Comment

I have always thought that HID bulbs would run cooler since an electrical arc doesn't radiate heat as much as a burning filimant....even if the arc's heat is more concentrated.

Comment

I probably don't have a definite answer for you.

But long time ago, I left a HID bulb plugged in while it is still in the plastic cover (those clear tube thing covering the bulbs). 2 minutes later the plastic melted...

Comment

So I'm going to butcher this, but here's what I remember from physics.

The electrical arc formed between the electrodes in a HID bulb is a plasma, which requires/produces a lot of heat to maintain. However the inside of the bulb is pressurized to between 20-30 atmospheres (when warm) which allows the arc to form at a lower temperature than otherwise.

Not to say this makes them "cool" by any means
            I'm going to write Phillips/osram and see if they have any temp tech specs they'd like to release.

Didn't really answer the OP up til this point so here goes:
            My best guess til I hear back from a reliable source is
            Halogen = More radiant heat (infrared/wasted light)
            HID = Hotter surface temperature (the plasma arc is ridiculously hot, think lightening)
            Haven't retro'd in a while....

Current setup:
            1998 Eclipse
            Projector: TSX with clear lenses.
            Bulbs: Philips 85122
            Ballasts: Genuine Hella Gen. 3
            Shroud: E46-Replica
            Work in progress:
            2007 VW Rabbit
            Projector: TL with ZKW-R lenses
            Bulbs: Philips 85122 (to be upgraded to Osram 66240 SVS)
            Shroud: Panamera

Comment

All I can tell you is that the halogens in my van were able to defrost the headlights within a few minutes. My Philips HIDS running at 35W don't ever defrost my headlights.

Comment

Good Alternative surfer! I'd like to know as well. Perhaps I will call Philips overhere (I live in Holland homecountry of Philips)
                Let's answer this question once and for all

Comment

Ok done
                  I called Philips customer support. They could not answer my question. The Lady on the phone said she would call me back. So I called Osram in our neighbourcountry Germany. I spoke to the technical department in my best german (that was a little rusty)
                  After some research in his knowledgebase while on the phone the guy came with the following answers:

the max temperature of an Osram xenon bulbbase, so where the bulb goes into the fitment is 240 C = 464 F
                  the max temperature of an Osram xenon bulbglass, so the glass surface temperature is 750 C = 1382 F

It does not answer how hot the projector reflectorbowl will become on the inside but you can imagine that it will run HOT! And it does as I have discovered.
                  Last edited by DJLeonardo; December 14th, 2010, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I'm also interested!

Comment

DJ Leonardo
                      I love you

And yea, bowl temps will always be high and vary greatly. Stick anything hot'ish in a small enclosed space and it's bound to warm up considerably.
                      Haven't retro'd in a while....

Current setup:
                      1998 Eclipse
                      Projector: TSX with clear lenses.
                      Bulbs: Philips 85122
                      Shroud: E46-Replica
                      Work in progress:
                      2007 VW Rabbit
                      Projector: TL with ZKW-R lenses
                      Bulbs: Philips 85122 (to be upgraded to Osram 66240 SVS)
                      Shroud: Panamera

Comment

Originally posted by mrcandyman17 View Post
                        All I can tell you is that the halogens in my van were able to defrost the headlights within a few minutes. My Philips HIDS running at 35W don't ever defrost my headlights.
                        I've been thinking why this is the case now that we know HID bulbs run much hotter.
                        I think it's because the halogen bulb radiates directly to the plastic headlamp cover, there is nothing in between. Whereas the HID bulb has a lens in front of it so there will be almost no radiating heat from the bulb itself, just form the lens that absorbs the part of the heat generated.

However, I happen to drive a Volvo as a daily (leasing car) and that car has projector headlamps with halogen bulbs inside (!) they also do melt the ice off the unit I discoverd recently... there goes my theory
                        Last edited by DJLeonardo; December 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

halogen runs extremely hot at the filament. the difference is halogen emits alot of infrared (heat) radiation. this type of radiation can spread out and make everything nearby very warm. hids run much hotter at the core but since very little infrared is produced, they do not spread heat around as well. as a general rule, halogen projector chrome coatings need to be more heat resistant. most hid projector ive measured never gets above 180F at the bowl. most halogen bowl gets to at least 250F. this ofcourse needs to take into account the projector size, venting, etc. its always good to have part of the projector open for heat to escape. otherwise it turns into an oven. if the hid bulb capsule is too close to anything, it can cause serious burning of the chrome or whatever other material. thats why smaller projectors usually burn easier.

Comment

In case you're wondering, the source of this issue is the H1 mini projectors. I'm curious if it's safe to run H1 Halogen bulbs in them as a High beam only function.

Comment

Originally posted by gearbox View Post
                              halogen runs extremely hot at the filament. the difference is halogen emits alot of infrared (heat) radiation. this type of radiation can spread out and make everything nearby very warm. hids run much hotter at the core but since very little infrared is produced, they do not spread heat around as well. as a general rule, halogen projector chrome coatings need to be more heat resistant. most hid projector ive measured never gets above 180F at the bowl. most halogen bowl gets to at least 250F. this ofcourse needs to take into account the projector size, venting, etc. its always good to have part of the projector open for heat to escape. otherwise it turns into an oven. if the hid bulb capsule is too close to anything, it can cause serious burning of the chrome or whatever other material. thats why smaller projectors usually burn easier.
                              Do you have data/test plan/pictures/equipment list/etc to back up your numbers?

Comment

Working...
                              X