OEM Bulb Comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Bulb Comparisons

I did a comparison of some OEM bulbs (and one aftermarket). All bulbs had less than 20 hours on them. I also let each warm up for 30 seconds and focused the camera on the same spot for each picture. I used my iPhone4 for all the pics, all with the same lighting and settings (I know, not ideal, but a start). All pics of the beam on the wall are the HDR pics and all pics of the projector head on are non-HDR. The projector used was an OEM RX330AFS with TSX-R lens and OEM shield painted flat black. The ballast was an eBay Xentec 35W ballasts that has at least 100 hours on it. I know I cold have used better equipment, but this was a spur-of-the-moment thing. So, the pics:
    1) Philips 85122+

2) Philips 85122

3) Osram 66040

4) Osram 66240

5) GE 53550 (5100K Cool Blue)

6) Philips 85122WX (Ultinon 6000K)

7) DDM 5000K

Feedback Thread
    Ford Fog Light Projectors
    Ford Fusion Fog Projector D2S Modificaiton
    Mini H1 Halogen Modification
    D2S Bulb Comparisons

One problem with this is that the iPhone actively adjusts it's white balance/shutter speed/exposure

But good start mate
    Haven't retro'd in a while....

Current setup:
    1998 Eclipse
    Projector: TSX with clear lenses.
    Bulbs: Philips 85122
    Ballasts: Genuine Hella Gen. 3
    Shroud: E46-Replica
    Work in progress:
    2007 VW Rabbit
    Projector: TL with ZKW-R lenses
    Bulbs: Philips 85122 (to be upgraded to Osram 66240 SVS)
    Ballasts: Genuine Hella Gen. 3
    Shroud: Panamera

Comment

Thanks. If I were to do it right, I would take my DSLR and go to somewhere outside with more space and distance. Maybe one of these days, but this is good for a quick rundown.
      Feedback Thread
      D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

Based on the pictures it looks like the DDM is brightest lol.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

As far as pics, it was more for color comparison. The DDM was weird, started of extremely dim, but warmed up nicely. It also didn't sit in the holder the same and caused a bowing.
          Feedback Thread
          D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

My friends,

I was very interested in the comparison LFSoccer2k6 did and I tried to "study" them a little bit more.
            I think the most "revealing" photos - regarding the "quality" of the light emitted by each bulb is the 2nd picture of each bulb, the one showing us the light staring the projector. These shots were the "material" used for my "study".

I took the liberty to copy and paste these snapshots and "fed" them - as they were copied - into PhotoShop. I sure hope LFSoccer2k6 does not mind, or else I appologize for using them without asking him before I did so.

What did I do: I did not "process" them at all. I just "categorized" them according to their color output, basically by noticing the color of the surroundings are - especially the carton box found on the right side of each photo and the plastic cover at the same edge of it. It's very different from photo to photo, but basically I formed 3 groups (based on color):

The natural - yellow output:

Here you can see that the color of the carton is yellowish - closer to the natural colors of it as seen in the daylight.

The purple output:

The overall color is definatelly purple. The output is lower than the natural-yellowish "team".

The blue output:

One member only - no wonder why... All aftermarket 5000K bulbs have this cyan-blue tint. Not easy to drive with, very eye stressing.

Some points I've checked:

1. Notice how different is the 5000K class: Osram 66240 is natural, GE53550 is purple and DDM is blue.
            Of course the "salts" used in each bulb are different. IMO the most "easy to drive with" is the Osram 66240 which is really close to the Philips 85122(+) "family" - only with less yellow.

2. The "purple family" consisting of: Osram 60240, GE53550 and Philips 85122WX (Ultinon).
            No need to say their output is noticeably lower than the previous "team", and pretty difficult to drive with, especially in bad weather conditions. A few years ago I used to have some 5000K (with purple output) bulbs (H7 rebased). I remember clearly that I felt like I had no lights on during the sunset (summer time) and in the heavy rain. I changed them very fast. I must say though that they were very "good looking", but unfortunatelly... only this.

3. The "blue" family: DDM 5000K.
            Well this bulb is characteristic of all the aftermarket bulbs. 5000K for most of the chinese and korean manufacturers is pretty much this: cyan-blue. This is a very eye stressing color to drive with. It's very well seen on the road (mainly by the others) and due it too cyan hue is "kills" all the colors. Makes things seen under this tint as very contrasted but also very much out of their real color. This causes the difficulty to drive with them: human brain "knows" which is the color of each item (seen in the daylight) and has difficulty to "identify" the items with the "different" (cyan-blue) color cast. That's why it's not easy to use. So, it "takes some time" for out brain to "detect" each item (due to this color "shifting") and this... may become even dangerous - when driving at night. Our vision can not easily "detect" the end of the road, the grass, mud, soil etc, when light by this color tint.

Here's an "all-in-one" photo for your quick referense:

So to conclude I believe this way is very well explained - and with these photos from LFSoccer2k6 (whom I must thank very much), also very well "documented" as seen, the obvious choise of the OEM bulbs for so many years: at 4100-4300K. It's the light closer to the "color temp" of the items, as we see (and understand) them by daylight. Perhaps the "step" towards 5000K is an impressive (eye-catching) one, but with exception to the Osram 66240, all other "5000K" have less to offer in the "quality" of light for "see better" during night drive. Their major contribution is (IMO) to the "show-off" part of the car.

Costas
            Last edited by STD Toledo; November 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM.
            SEAT Toledo 1.6 16v S-Line RX-330AFS | Osram 66240CBI | OEM Fog 4300K | DRL Led | Led Night Pack

"that set up is lighting sex": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9M-m4mCZ4

Comment

lol. the DDM bulbs look the best

Comment

Can't you see DDM are cyan-blue? I don't think you can drive easily with them on...

I've tried this in the past (with various a/m 5000K bulbs). It's impressive, eye-catching but not easy to drive (for long).
                This is my opinion based on my experiense on using them (not DDM but a/m 5000K) in the past.

Costas
                SEAT Toledo 1.6 16v S-Line RX-330AFS | Osram 66240CBI | OEM Fog 4300K | DRL Led | Led Night Pack

Comment

I was hoping someone could take the pics and use them actually. Great work!
                  Feedback Thread
                  D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

Originally posted by LFSoccer2k6 View Post
                    I was hoping someone could take the pics and use them actually. Great work!
                    So, I guess it's OK with you (I mean to use them, here)...

I think you can tell us if this cyan-blue tint shown in the DDM bulbs is that intense. I believe they are much more cyan-green-blue than the 66240. I think the Osrams are producing a much more natural color than that of the DDMs, leading to an easier to drive light output.

Is it so?... Have you tried them on the road, or just indoors?...

Costas

Comment

For a 5000K, the DDM had a decent amount of blue tine to them. I have used the Osram 66040 and Osram 66240 and they are my favorites are far as driving. Personally, I think the 66040 are the best, but I am really interested in those 5000K xenarc bulbs that is putting together a group buy in another thread, jsut can't justify $150 when I have all of these other bulbs, haha.
                      Feedback Thread
                      D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

Originally posted by LFSoccer2k6 View Post
                        For a 5000K, the DDM had a decent amount of blue tine to them. I have used the Osram 66040 and Osram 66240 and they are my favorites are far as driving. Personally, I think the 66040 are the best, but I am really interested in those 5000K xenarc bulbs that is putting together a group buy in another thread, jsut can't justify $150 when I have all of these other bulbs, haha.
                        Of course!...

I think it will be really interesting to compare these Osram Xenarc 66240 with the 66240 CBI and see how (if any) different they are in both aspects: intensity and color. As far as the CBIs I have already ordered a pair of them from Germany (I'm waitting for them right now) so, I'll be able to "offer" a comparative shooting of 85122+ (currenlty used) and the CBIs. I sure hope the CBIs are high(er than 85122+) output and non-blue (for sure they can't be purple...), as shown in photos of a member who has already bought and installed them (in another thread).

I can't figure how we could compare the 66240 with the 66240 CBI though... Different cameras, same projectors (RX-330AFS)... We'll see...

Costas

Comment

I have other cameras and could take better photos in a more consistent setting if need be.
                          Feedback Thread
                          D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

Good work Greg! Nice comparo on a good range of popular bulbs! I gotta say, I'm becoming a fan of the Osram bulbs more and more, over the Philips bulbs. I know I really like the Osram 66040's I'm currently using, even on 50 watt ballasts. The more I drive with them, the more I like them. Although, I'm still going to get another set of bulbs to replace these, as these are not new and have about 500-750 hours on them. I plan on keeping them as a spare set for both my cars.

Furthermore, the 85122+ pics are dead on and show that they are by far the most yellow, when new. I just put a new set in my Acura TSX and so far, I don't like the color and am hoping they get whiter.
                            2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII GS-R | Satin Black Copper Pearl | 620hp | 04 TSX projector retrofit(color modded w/ clear lens) | Morimoto 3Five 35w ballasts | Osram Xenarc 66240CBI D2S 5K bulbs

2008 Acura TSX | Osram Xenarc 66040 bulbs(Osram 66240CBI ordered) | OEM Ballasts | Clear TSX Lenses

Comment

Osram FTW!!!!
                              Feedback Thread
                              D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

Working...
                              X