Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of stores have 6000grit sandpaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of stores have 6000grit sandpaper?

Im looking for a local store to find these. Can't seem to find these in hardware stores... Any other suggestions? hobby shops?

What exactly do you need it for? I haven't seen body shops even have anything over 3000. 6000 grit would be softer than printer paper. Maybe there is a polish that would work better for your needs.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Oh, i need it to restore the inside of my plastic lens. I guess ill try using the nova plastic this weekend and hope that thatll be sufficient.

ps. i tried all the plastic polish, rubbing compound, and 3k grit sandpaper and I still get a nasty fog. i hear that is that the inside of the lens is really sensitive..

Comment

6000 grit is wonderful. I'm Canadian but I get mine in either Home Depot, Totem, Home Hardware, Rona, Peavey Mart, Canadian Tire, and I'm sure there's other places nearby that have it too.

Comment

Have you tried coating it after wet sanding?
          Now posting as Velosterguy

Comment

if you need anything over 2500 and a good polish your not doing someting right.

try the 2500-3000 then a good compund with wool pad steped down to a lighter compound and then a polish or glaze with a foam pad.
            04 sti
            FX-R, 85122+ oem ballasts.

Comment

Only place around me that has it in stock is a hobby store. You can order it online many places, I usually only go to 2000G then to compounds, and polish. Here's one place that you can order it from if you want some 6000G.
              http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYCK1&P=FR
              Feedback Thread

04.5 Cummins powered Ram LS430 Bi-Xenon retro, Boosted AL gen1's 35-55-68W on the fly in cab adjustable.

Comment

hrm, im not sure if my technique is necessarily bad cause I actually did a restore on my mom's 01 camry and DID make it look shiny/newlike. i REALLY dont think im doing wrong.. how can this be?!

Comment

Don't listen to him, he's obviously never used it. 600 grit is a great finisher and makes a good sanding job into a great sanding job.

Comment

my friend did that 3m headlight restoration thing and his left a bunch of fogginess and yellow. Anyways I done it for him a couple weeks later and it worked good. The key is to remove everything with 400 grit first then after that your just sanding out scratches

Comment

hrm.. how is is that on my mom's camry, i was able to use 2k grit and then rubbing compound to get great results.. but even when using 3k sandpaper, i seem to be going nowhere w/ my vw headlight (im doing the inside of the lens, not the outside). oh and i did try using 800 grit to "re-do" my sanding and went back up several times, but no luck

Comment

yeah, 6k seems way way too fine.

the soft polishing pad in the 3M kit has polished a few different plastics for me. even a Lexan Windshield on a RatRod last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcandyman17 View Post
                          6000 grit is wonderful. I'm Canadian but I get mine in either Home Depot, Totem, Home Hardware, Rona, Peavey Mart, Canadian Tire, and I'm sure there's other places nearby that have it too.
                          Your home depot carries sandpaper with that high of a grit? Mine doesn't carry anything over 400 grit.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyp2010 View Post
                            Your home depot carries sandpaper with that high of a grit? Mine doesn't carry anything over 400 grit.
                            Yep, I have bought it from both Canadian Tire and Home Depot a couple of times. I use 6000 grit a lot.

Comment

you sure u dont mean 600? maybe 6000 grit per meter

Comment

Working...
                              X