Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Mazda Miata ( mx-5 Roadster) headlight questions

So to preface, i just picked up a 1990 Mazda Miata

It comes stock with "Barndoor" pop up headlights with 7" sealed beams.

I am coming from my Protege5 that i had TL/ZKW's retro'd in

I am in DESPERATE NEED of some help with this car now

They DO sell a low rise kit with Hella 90mm's in em for $500

I could go that route and mod the projectors and just settle with "decent" lighting

The flip side is, i have a shopping list of goodies being returned to me from my 2nd retro to build a replica of the set on teh protege above ( was gonna have both my Protege's TL powered but have since decided to strip and sell mine in favor of the miata)

SO, i have TL's with ZKW-R's and OEM 85122+ bulbs coming back to me. . .

SO, should i sell off my stuff coming and get the low rise kit? Or does anyone think it'd be possible to figure a way to stuff the TL's in teh miata somehow?

Sorry if this is a poorly put together thread/post, i'm just kinda unsure where to start on this car

Hers-Sloped TL's, ZKW-R lenses, 85122+, E55-R, fiberglass buckets, Blazer fogs with 3K
    Mine- Morimoto Mini H1's, e55 shrouds, Blazer fogs with 3000K
    Zuma 125 Mini H1, Gatling Gun 2.0, 90mm & 60mm Amber XBLED halos
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroFix

those 90mm's are mediocre at best. Was running them for a bit as fogs. They didn't give me the amount of light I wanted. Plus the bowls get smokey and turn shotty quickly.

I'd do a retro and choose a better projector.
    MY FEEDBACK THREAD
    http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31393

Comment

I have read nothing but rAve reviews from miata owners, but that is compared to seven inch sealed beam headlights.

I HAVE TL/ZKW-R's shipping back to me but I don't know how to mount them. I want to keep the "pop up" but rather a lower rise.

Are there better projectors comperable in size to hella 90mm's that I might squeeze into that headlight setup?

Hers-Sloped TL's, ZKW-R lenses, 85122+, E55-R, fiberglass buckets, Blazer fogs with 3K

Comment

The 90s may be a step up from a older halogen/reflector setup but they are mediocre at best when compaired with high end OEM projecotrs like the S2k, FX-r, and your TL. It is like night and day difference.

To give you an idea I had the 90s in my fogs. Wasn't good enough...upgraded to HID...still wasn't good enough but at the time I had no other option so I left them. The. The bowls started getting shotty from the HID. So I ditched them for Blazers. Blazers are much better suited for fogs anyway bc of the flat cutoff. They also work very well with 35w HID if you are careful.

I'm sure you could fit a bunch if projectors in there. For example TSX is small and would likely fit but youwould need figure out a way to seal it
        from the elements
        MY FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

The 90s may be a step up from a older halogen/reflector setup but they are mediocre at best when compaired with high end OEM projecotrs like the S2k, FX-r, and your TL. It is like night and day difference.

To give you an idea I had the 90s in my fogs. Wasn't good enough...upgraded to HID...still wasn't good enough but at the time I had no other option so I left them. The. The bowls started getting shotty from the HID. So I ditched them for Blazers. Blazers are much better suited for fogs anyway bc of the flat cutoff. They also work very well with 35w HID if you are careful.

I'm sure you could fit a bunch if projectors in there. For example TSX is small and would likely fit but youwould need figure out a way to seal it
          from the elements
          MY FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

why?
            2007 accord
            current:
            s2000 retrofit, hella gen3s
            next:
            porsche/STI, 50w, lexus motors + ramsey controller, led

Comment

understood about the 90's not being great, but they're still better than stock

I also know about the blazers, i've got em with a 3k HID kit as foglights under the TL's on the Protege. I wouldn't trust them as a headlight by ANY means

As Warmonger, why do you ask why? Are you asking why do i wanna modify the headlights?

Why do any of us wanna modify the headlights? lol

I want the best visibility possible!

Comment

I think there should be a way to have your head light retrod and open lower.
                the brackets for those hellas can be custom made and I am sure you can have the low rise figured out some how

take one headlight apart and check it out.

Comment

i think i can handle building a low rise setup but, the question stands, are the TL's able to be open air to the elements?

My other option/thought was to get the square headlights out of an early Eagle Talon which lower the headlights some. . . but those don't come with clear lenses to put the projectors inside of

Comment

What if you did a flat head light lens, like a new corvette?? No popuping at all. You don't want to drop $500 on those things, that will be a waste. You are better off getting those round LED head lights I've seen on some Jeeps. But, once you drive with the TL, you always drive with the TL lol.

Also, put fog lights on there with HID and turn off the head lights?

Comment

well i posted in the other threads asking how the Hella 90mm's compared to the hella micro DE foglights in overall light output

If I can get by with the Micro DE's with a 4-5K HID setup in em, i'll just do that and leave the headlights themselves off until i need a high beam

I personally don't like the style of the flushmount headlights so that's outa the question.

And i agree, once you've tasted TL, you don't want anything else. lol

Comment

dont ruin those beautiful stock headlights lol. the hella kit looks like garbage. we have a red 92 miata and the sealed beams are pretty decent for what they are. how about improve what you have, like catz zeta or add more lighting like fogs or aux lights.

Comment

i'm thinking that's gonna be the ticket.

I'll prob still pick up a set of Hella E-codes or Cibies just to improve the useless sealed beams and retain the "Character" of the miata with the pop ups

Any feedback on comparison between the Hella 90mm projectors vs the Hella Micro DE's?

I HAD blazers but i do NOT think they'll do as a headlight substitute. Are the Micro DE's better? Or is output simiiliar to blazers?

Comment

micro de is for fog only, it will not go very far and they are no way a substitute for headlights. you need more of a pencil beam type that will shoot most of the light into the distance with less foreground.

Comment

My vote was the flush mount that I showed you in the other forum, but you dont like them, so wht dont you get the low rise headlights, gut them & stuff your TLs in there with a custom shroud :-o
                              Sean D

08 Cadallic CTS 3.6 Direct Inject
                              12 Toyota Prius

Feedback: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=261632#261632

Comment

Working...
                              X