Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best non-OEM HID Ballasts/Bulbs (Hylux vs F3 FastBright) + Startup Electrical Stress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best non-OEM HID Ballasts/Bulbs (Hylux vs F3 FastBright) + Startup Electrical Stress

So, being relatively a newbie in aftermarket lighting, after doing my research in this forum and after taking into consideration your responses, I came into the conclusion that the 2 best options (for us Europeans) are either Hylux or F3 FastBright ballasts.

I'm always talking about 12V 35W current. So which one is best? I noticed that F3s are quicker but the overall reliability is my real concern. Are Hylux ones the most reliable?

Also, another thing that I can't figure out is if the stock wiring of the car able to handle the very brutal starting current. I saw that both F3s and Hyluxes can reach up to 8 or 9 Amperes at start up (which is more than 100watts per ballast!). So, will it be required to power them straight from the battery? (1995 car)

Is there a comparable to reliability option with no fast start (for easier starting up) and using stock wiring?

And for bulbs, CNLights are the best bang for the buck?

Thanks once again.

All the major headlight builders swear by Hylux. Morimoto is trying to solve its reliability issues by adopting custom Hylux ballast too.

If you're worried about the stock wiring and don't want to run a harness, XenonDepot ballasts are modified Hylux made for low start current. Easier on stock wiring. On some cars where OEM ballasts won't fire right, XenonDepot ballasts will fire every time. Otherwise you can run a harness.

CNLights are the best bang for the buck pretty much. XenonDepot are the best aftermarket HID bulb, period. NHKs are a decent option as well, a bit brighter but the color is worse. I like my CNLights.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

DLT F3 all the way for me. I bought a pair of Hylux 35W and was disappointed with them (slow start, bulb wasn't as bright as when powered by F3).
      My first pair of F3 are still going strong, about 6 or 7 years old now.

Comment

It seems that there are mixed views . Also, I live in Europe so I don't know if it will be easy for me to buy from XenonDepot, but I can easily buy things from Aliexpress. My car has no CANBUS system so this is not an issue. I was just concerned about the lifespan of the ballasts and bulbs since I thought that a more brutal starting procedure would shorten the lifespan of the ballast and maybe bulbs compared to a non-fast start ballast. I guess I'm wrong then?

As for if the car can handle it, do you think I will need a relay harness for a 35W F3/Hylux ballast set? My car's headlight fuse is rated at 60A (for both headlights I think), so that's probably 30A per side, so I guess 8-9A for the starting of each side sounds good to handle.

I'm just struggling to decide which ballasts to pick, F3 or Hylux. Start-up time doesn't concern me that much, longevity does. Either way tho I guess I will go with CNLight bulbs probably.

Comment

Note that I have no experience about the internals of both ballasts. From the Hylux the 3 years warranty seems that they're confident about their reliability and from the F3 what I realy like is the insulation on the wires for an attempt to limit radio interference etc. So, I'm literally lost in which one I should get. I searched on Aliexpress on both and sorted by orders and reviews and here are my results. Are they the real deal?

1) Hylux: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS...AbTest=ae803_4

2) F3 Fast Bright: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...AbTest=ae803_4

Comment

Also, if I will need a relay harness, do I need to look for a specific one or the 5$ ones at aliexpress are ok?

Comment

Originally posted by HIDvsLED View Post

I'm just struggling to decide which ballasts to pick, F3 or Hylux. Start-up time doesn't concern me that much, longevity does. Either way tho I guess I will go with CNLight bulbs probably.
              If reliability is your concern, go OEM. You’re in Europe, so you can find Hella ballast quite easily from Germany. Prepare to invest at least twice as much compared to DLT F3 and run a dedicated harness (hella are quite eager when it comes to start up current...). Remember that they come with D2 socket, so you might need adapters for the bulbs (unless you run D2 bulbs).

Comment

Working...
              X