Shroud issues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shroud issues.

I had some paint issues and had to remove the paint and red and my piece down. Doing so I messed up the chrome inside the ring a little.

I was told if I paint it, the paint would bubble from the heat overtime.

How bad does it look? Can I salvage them?

Do I need to strip them completely down again, including the chrome ring itself and start over?

What if I used high temp paint in that spot and 2k clear? Do they make a reflective paint I could use there instead, that would reflect the heat?

How about cutting a long strip out of sheet aluminum and place it along the "ring"? Here's something like that I did for a custom DRL housing; note the clear acrylic cylinder near the lens has a strip of aluminum:

The seams don't show up well in that picture above, but there will be one seam. The trick is to cut a little bit longer, place the aluminum strip on the piece you want applied, and carefully measure the excess length before trimming it.

Here's another angle of the aluminum strip:

It won't be chrome per se, but close.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Alternatively, perhaps use aluminum tape. Here's aluminum tape around the lens holder frame of an EvoX-R:
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

If I wanted to paint them, what would be my best chance of limiting the paint bubbling?

VHT caliper paint?
        Duplicolor caliper paint?
        Engine enamel?
        Rustoleum High Heat paint?

Entire thing will be sprayed with 2k clear when finished.

If I went the route to paint, I would soak with oven cleaner for a few minutes to get them completely down to bare plastic again.

Comment

You don't need high heat paint to paint bezels FWIW. I used Painters Touch 2X and it holds up great.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Honestly, that's not even noticeable even in those pictures IMO, you might be able to just use them as is

Comment

Might be sol now. Used aircraft paint stripper for plastic to remove all the paint and start over. It messed up my plastic pieces in a few spots. The plastic itself bubbled some. Looks like crap now.

No clue how to fix it.

Comment

I'd just paint it silver to get a sort of aluminum look. Or maybe body-match the paint. There's no reason it has to be chrome.

Comment

Working...
                X