No announcement yet.

Need help with building a bench tester for testing custom headlights internals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with building a bench tester for testing custom headlights internals

So I've been running my own retrofitting buisness for about 14 months now, focused solely on the 09-18 Rams because I own one. So trusting everything on my own truck while building customers lights has worked, although majorly inconvenient to remove my grille and headlights and setup all kinds of relays and harnesses each time I want to test something.

So I am trying to expand to building custom headlights for other make and model vehicles but I need a way to test the led halos, led boards, projectors, hid kits, aiming the projectors, pretty much everything electrical in the headlights.

So I was going to do the easy route and buy a car battery + a portable battery charger but I dont really want to deal with a heavy ass car battery on my work bench and constantly moving it around.

So what do you guys recommend I buy? I found some Pyramid 12v AC-to-DC power inverters - power supply - on Amazon, but I'm not sure if this will work for what I need it to.

Basically I will need to test Diode Dynamica led halos, vehicle specific halo kits, Profile Prism Halos, Demon Eyes, Morimoto XBT Bluetooth controllers, Morimoto projectors (all models), Morimoto and Profile 35watt HID kits. Basically everything sold on the TRS website, I'd be needing to test while building the lights.

I plan on buying a bunch of 9006 female plugs and then 1 of each headlight style male plig (h1, h11, 9005, etc) and making quick connect harnesses with a female 9006 as the base plug going to the power supply so I can just plug everything in quickly and easily.

****** TLDR: My main question is, I know there are plenty of members on here building custom headlights for people and I know you guys have some sort of power supply to bench test everything going into the headlights. My question is, what are you guys using for a power supply or if someone reading this who doesnt have a power supply, can recommend what to buy I'd really appriciate it. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pick one of these up. Can fire two ballasts at once with ease.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7CWSCG

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      Pick one of these up. Can fire two ballasts at once with ease.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7CWSCG
      Thanks for the suggestion and this might be a stupid question, but how would I plug that in lmao? I dont see a wall plug anywhere on it.

Comment

You use a wall wire with two bare wires sticking out. And you screw those into the screws that take the 120V. Then the other screws are for 12V + and -. Just gotta be careful, no power switch and semi exposed contacts means you could shock yourself.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

you need to wire a cord to it to connect it to a wall
          The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Lmao all these suggestions for bare wires and open electrical wiring are horrible suggestions. They make power converters that plug right into a wall outlet, I was hoping someone here had a suggestion for any of the Pyramid 12v power converters that are on Amazon. I was hoping someone had a review/first hand experience using a specific model, because there are like 100 different models and I'm not really sure which one I need. All I know is I need a 12v ac-to-dc power converter but all the other specs and info I'm unsure of.

Comment

"Can I get some suggestions?"

"LMAO HORRIBLE SUGGESTIONS! Here let me make my own suggestions."

Dude, pro retrofitter but can't choose a power supply or do some Googling? A Pyramid 3A power supply is TWICE what the one I linked to is. Except 3A isn't enough to even fire a ballast. Plenty of good power supplies above $60 to choose from, but can't beat $20. No bare wires, they have a cover. I am building an enclosure for mine, as do many pro retrofitters. Many keep them hidden on their workbench setup.

When you ask dumb questions and then dismiss answers, don't expect respect Mr. Pro Retrofitter.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

if that's what he's looking for, then that's what i can recommend. this is the one i use. i bought it for running r/c car chargers, as many will charge faster off dc than ac, but it works great for retrofitting as well, though it's massively overkill both in price and performance for the task.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/product...il.aspx?pid=98

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Working...
                X