Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHK HID Kit - Opinions?

Hey all

So I am not from the states, unlike what I assume to be most members here.
    So I have been looking at other cheaper options have seen that a few have recommended NHK as a decent Chinese brand, so my Google searching had begun.

It seems they have quite a few projectors and kits and such, so I have narrowed it down to a kit with a G5 D2S projector, I believe this is very similar / same as the Mini D2S 3.0 or 4.0?
    Not the best but certainly not bad from what I have heard. It comes with 35W NHK ballasts and a bulb of your choice - I will be going for the 5500K bulb as as opposed to 4300K or 6000K. I imagine the 5500K to provide the most light between the 3. They will include an H4 wiring harness and a shroud as well.
    All of the above for $110 excluding shipping. It seems pretty darn hard to beat.

Now, does anyone here have experience with any of the NHK kits or products or perhaps there is a better option available around a similar price?
    Is there anything I should be aware of or cautious of?

This will be my first retrofit and the first time having a vehicle with HID's, I am really excited for the extra light output as I do struggle to see at night.

The G5-R is better than the D2S 4.0, a lot better. More hotspot.

I have no experience with NHK ballasts but the bulbs are pretty good. Very similar to Morimoto. Tested well. A tad on the greenish side but nowhere near as bad as the old Morimotos.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

There's a good D2S 4.0 vs G5-R thread here https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hot-comparison

I'm in the midst of a G5-R retro myself, should be done by the weekend. Another advantage over the 4.0 is the locking nut when you shaft mount them. The G5-R uses a smaller outside diameter nut that should clear most H4 mounting bases. I was talking to someone who just retrofitted the same vehicle (3rd-generation Honda CRV) with a D2S 4.0,he had to grind the back of the reflectors because the lock nut wouldn't thread in enough to install the bulb retaining nut. I didn't have to do any grinding :-)
      Last edited by Eddie; June 6th, 2018, 07:33 PM.
      Originally posted by HK45
      I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

@Haloruler, that is good to know. As for the ballasts I guess I will find out how good the NHK ballasts are.
        So even the 5500K bulb will most likely have a very feint green tint to it? Being a bit colour blind I may not even notice that. As long as it does not affect the output much I don't really mind.

Eddie, thanks for the link. Had a read through, not sure what sort of step these ones will come with.

For interest sake, how much of a size difference is there between the mountings on an H7 reflector and an H4 reflector? I believe this kit fits H4 without any issues, my car takes H4 bulbs which is fine however my bike takes H7 bulbs and I'd like to use the same kit on my bike as well as my car.

Comment

Originally posted by PsyCLown View Post
          I will be going for the 5500K bulb as as opposed to 4300K or 6000K. I imagine the 5500K to provide the most light between the 3.
          By definition the 4300K produces the most light by far, 6000K is about 20% less, I would guess 5500K is almost 15% less lumens output than 4300K. Of course these numbers are really for OEM bulbs, all bets are off for aftermarket bulbs, its all a "crap shoot" there (pun intended). To prove anything, with hard numbers, an integrating sphere would be needed.

D1S is where its at, Radically better EMI and RFI performance. Only the new Japanese cars still use D2 bulbs, the others have all changed to D1S.

Comment

Looks like you may have to enlarge the H7 reflector opening.

I don't have a H7 bulb or light assembly on me but the below illustration shows 34mm max OD of the "flange", and 26mm would be the minimum size of the opening where the bulb goes into the headlight; a G5/Mini D2S 4.0 threaded shaft is 35mm

I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Hmm, shouldn't be too much of a mission to enlarge the cutout in the reflector? What would be the best way to go about it?

Comment

Most accurate would probably be a step drill bit AKA unibit. I see the Unibit brand has ones that drill up to 35mm,but the cheaper ones would do since you're not drilling into something as hard as steel.

Comment

I ruined a headlight with a step bit... when I tried to mount the MD2S 3.0 the reflector cracked.

Comment

Oh shit. Did you enlarge the hole too much?

Comment

Perhaps I will consider a hole saw of 35mm, might be a bit easier. Never really worked with a reflector before, sounds a bit fragile and brittle?

Comment

Working...
                      X