330k miles later..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 330k miles later..

Working at a Lexus dealer means sometimes you come across some interesting finds. Had a customer the other day bring his 2004 LS430 in complaining of his headlight being full of water and the bulb not igniting. Given that it’s full of water, can you guess the point of failure?

$2k of this guys money later, he has a brand new headlight, and I have this expensive aquarium.

I pulled this thing apart so I could see what was left of the projector. Didn’t expect much, due to the age and mileage of the vehicle it came from.

The inside is full of sand and dirt, and these headlights arenít sealed with a traditional butyl, just this strange goopy stuff

Cracked apart the projector, and to my surprise, it was in almost perfect condition.

So it looks like I got a really good projector for free.. shocker there. Now I just need the left hand projector.. and a car to put them in. Lol. After seeing Gold94corolla install these into the IS300, I donít think Iíll be trying that.
    Last edited by Zac.; April 29th, 2018, 07:13 PM.

cool!

i hate projects that i only get one half of the complete set of... i found a left-side bose 301 speaker at goodwill the other week for $5 at goodwill... i'm still trying to hunt down the right side...
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

I think that stuff sealing the headlight IS butyl, just really old and dried up. Probably why it started leaking and ruined the ballast. But yeah, the projectors on these things are rock solid! Retrofitting them actually isn't THAT bad, Im' just too old for it a 3rd time lol. It's just such an anxiety thing, because of all of the super precise cuts and stuff all over the shroud, and you can't just get another shroud. But mounting the projector isn't that hard, if you have a bracket. IDK, it seems like other people have had no trouble retrofitting them... just me. Then again, theirs didn't turn out like mine did, my projector was more sticking out.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
        I think that stuff sealing the headlight IS butyl, just really old and dried up. Probably why it started leaking and ruined the ballast. But yeah, the projectors on these things are rock solid! Retrofitting them actually isn't THAT bad, Im' just too old for it a 3rd time lol. It's just such an anxiety thing, because of all of the super precise cuts and stuff all over the shroud, and you can't just get another shroud. But mounting the projector isn't that hard, if you have a bracket. IDK, it seems like other people have had no trouble retrofitting them... just me. Then again, theirs didn't turn out like mine did, my projector was more sticking out.
        Yeah believe it or not your IS is the one that Got me into the retrofitting hobby. I saw your LS retrofit and envied the result. Now both of us have almost identical setups! Lol

Comment

Engine and trans probably still runs great right?

Should've tried to upsell the customer to a pair of headlights LOL. I have a single projector too, think I replaced it because the AFS no longer worked and projector was locked up pointed inwards and upwards.

Ballast looks waterlogged, have you tried firing it up or take it apart yet?
          Originally posted by HK45
          I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Zac. View Post
            Yeah believe it or not your IS is the one that Got me into the retrofitting hobby. I saw your LS retrofit and envied the result. Now both of us have almost identical setups! Lol
            It just goes to show that I'm just another guy, nothing special, and anyone can do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              Engine and trans probably still runs great right?

Should've tried to upsell the customer to a pair of headlights LOL. I have a single projector too, think I replaced it because the AFS no longer worked and projector was locked up pointed inwards and upwards.

Ballast looks waterlogged, have you tried firing it up or take it apart yet?
              Yeah the ballast is totally rusted out. Wouldnít even try and fire the bulb that was in it. Believe it or not the bulb was still good.

And yes, the engine still ran smooth as butter and you couldnít even feel the transmission shifting gears. Lol

Comment

Working...
              X