Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philips DLS 25w, interchangable with D3S 35W?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips DLS 25w, interchangable with D3S 35W?

Hi all

Just took delivery of my car and was expecting it to have 25w D3S bulbs and thus upgrade them to 35w Philips Xtreme D3S bulbs.
    Upon opening it up, it seems they have 25w DLS Bulbs, the connections look similar except for a small tab which stops them from fitting.
    Can anyone confirm if D3S bulbs will work in place of the 25W DLS if I trim the connector to fit?

Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3
    Picture 4
    Picture 5

DLS? Not D5S or D8S?

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

You cant operate D1S or D3S at 25 watts, your ballasts will not provide enough power to run a 35 watt bulb, 28 to 30 watts is the minimum power for a D1, D3, D2 or D4 bulb.
      Looks like Philips has a new product not just the D5S with the ballast and igniter all integrated into one box. We dont even know if the focal point is in the same position as the 35 watt bulbs on your NEW DLS bulbs. The D5S has a much shorter glass bulb section with the focal point of light LCL of 18.0 compared to 27.1 on all the other HID bulbs.
      D1S is where its at, Radically better EMI and RFI performance. Only the new Japanese cars still use D2 bulbs, the others have all changed to D1S.

Comment

what car is this on?

________
        I MADE ME

Comment

The "25W" refers to the ballast output, so throwing a D3S bulb will mean it'll run at 25W anyway, which isn't what you want.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

They came with a current Porsche Cayman, which all documentation say it "should" be D3S. Unless they have decided to change for some reason?
            I was wanting to change to change out the OEM ones for a brighter white bulb, can anyone identify what type these should be as DLS doesn't come up anywhere....

Comment

Just spent some time working out my google fu and came up with nothing. These must be for the low power HIDs used in Europe to avoid auto-leveling requirements.
              50w Quads 85122+
              50w Fogs 4300k XB35
              20" E-Series

Comment

Originally posted by Sadden View Post
                These must be for the low power HIDs used in Europe to avoid auto-leveling requirements.
                Yes, I agree and they are also Hg free. They must be so new, not even an E code number on them. If the focal point is different you cant even replace them with other standard 35 watt bulbs. You would have to replace the projector assembly as well. Also the ballasts of course too.
                D1S is where its at, Radically better EMI and RFI performance. Only the new Japanese cars still use D2 bulbs, the others have all changed to D1S.

Comment

I just did this myself. I bought the upgraded 35w ballasts from the PDLS headlights, trimmed the connector to fit the D3S bulb, and they work.

The issue is the hotspot is not at the center and a bit too low.

I did notice that when comparing the DLS to D3S, the length is the same, but the DLS necks down sooner at the top of the bulb.

Has anyone tried shimming the bulb to see if the pattern can be fixed?

I realize that a new projector would be the best option, but since this is HID already I'm not sure where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by vanisher View Post
                    I just did this myself. I bought the upgraded 35w ballasts from the PDLS headlights, trimmed the connector to fit the D3S bulb, and they work.

The issue is the hotspot is not at the center and a bit too low.

I did notice that when comparing the DLS to D3S, the length is the same, but the DLS necks down sooner at the top of the bulb.

Has anyone tried shimming the bulb to see if the pattern can be fixed?

I realize that a new projector would be the best option, but since this is HID already I'm not sure where to start.
                    A photo of the 2 bulbs side by side is worth 1000 words, please send a photo.

Comment

Here's the bulbs side by side. I was planning to make a "How To" thread on rennlist/planet 9 eventually. I got pics of everything.
                      DLS vs D3S

Comment

Focal point seems identical, maybe a photo of both labels and both input connects would also be helpful.

Comment

Turns out I figured it all out. The tab locations on the DLS vs D3S bulbs are different to deter you from a simple swap. See attached pics. I plan to do a full how-to soon.

First: The tab that you need to bend out of the way a bit.

Second: The tab location on the bulbs; resulting in WHY you need to bend that tab in #1.

Third: The outcome... Nice beam pattern.

Comment

So hotspot is fine?

Comment

Hotspot looks fine now.

Comment

Working...
                              X