Thread: How do I make tail lights as bright as possible?

Junior Member HID Newbie

How do I make tail lights as bright as possible?

Hey guys. Pretty much that is my entire question. I drive a 2004 Chevy Cavalier, and I'm just wondering how to make my tail lights as bright as possible. They're not filmy or anything, just looking for a nicer, brighter light. I'm considering buying some high power LEDs or an SMT LED with 92 diodes. I'm just looking for some other opinions. How can I make my tail lights super bright?

Thanks guys.

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    leds are certainly not the answer as they are usually less than 1/4th the brightness. you want brighter filament bulb upgrade. find out what type of bulb you have and post it up. there is a higher watt version for almost anything. if i were to guess, i bet you have a 3057 or 3157, in which case a 3457 would be noticably brighter in signal/brake mode.

Caveleirs usually take 3057s a 3457 will fit just try to make sure there not cheap china bulbs because the sockets in the caveleirs and sunfires are very tight fitting china bulbs tend to get stuck in the sockets or wont fit in them
    my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
    04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
    2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
    07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Unfortunately, the wattage for the "parking light" filaments for all those bulbs are the same while the wattage for the "turn signal" filaments are different.

Senior Member HID KING
    Why do you want the rear lights as bright as possible. Maximum brightness is specified by law and for good reason. Rear lights that are too bright are painful to those behind you and don't add to safety at all.

Junior Member HID Newbie
    If the new Dodge Charger passed government standards, we can all make our taillights realllllly bright now!!! Those things are silly bright and blinding. Not sure, but they look like Leds.

Maybe the brightness will keep people from following so close.

Moderator HID FANATIC soundman98's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyx View Post
    If the new Dodge Charger passed government standards, we can all make our taillights realllllly bright now!!! Those things are silly bright and blinding. Not sure, but they look like Leds.
    the legal brightness regulations rely on a number of things-- the main thing here is the required illuminated surface area. most cars have larger reflectors/housings to meet the brightness standard, where the charger uses a relatively small ilumination surface to meet the standard. there is a difference..

Quote Originally Posted by kcg795 View Post
    Maybe the brightness will keep people from following so close.
    hasn't stopped me yet..

thunder, you're best option is to build a custom led setup. check the led section for more details on that. most pnp led bulbs will be dimmer then what you have now.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    2001 Eclipse led conversion, high power led reverse light conversion (dead), led reverse light-revision 2 done!

my 2014 brz(the totaled mess)
    the new whip
    '14 brz2, "Chance the Goldfish"
    "The past is determined, the future is what we make of it"

Senior Member HID Guru
    If Philips LumiLEDs are ~3lm @700mah each, I'm probably pushing close to 300lm with my main brake lights only. Add the CHMSL retro and then the Plasmaglow on the bottom, I'll probably be around 500lm. Its pretty damned bright.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures. -James Thurber

50W 5000K FX-R 2.1 Projectors | Retrofitted Philips LumiLEDs in all rear lamps | 60" Plasmaglow Fire & Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity-x View Post
    SO WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU SPENDING $650 SO FAR ON HEADLIGHTS YOU AREN'T EVEN GOING TO USE??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????? THATS LIKE ORDERING DINNER FOR YOUR DOG AT OLIVE GARDEN.