Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID kit not working

New Member HID Newbie

Angry HID kit not working

Hello,

I set aside some time today and attempted to install my HID kit but I ran into an issue. I can't seem to get the relay to work (LED's on the top of the relay do not light up) thus not allowing the bulbs to fire. I attached and re-attached the positive and negative leads to the battery several times as to be certain it was making full contact - I also made sure the fuse attached to the positive lead was not blown and was properly seated and I re-seated the relays...still no luck. After testing and re-testing everything several times, I unmounted everything and put the halogens back in.

Any ideas? Also, anyone with a 2012 Murano - where did you end up mounting the relay?

Vehicle - 2012 Nissan Murano SL
    HID Kit - H11 Morimoto Elite HID Kit w/heavy duty relay.

Thanks in advance

Don't base the relay function off the LED. 5/6 of my clear relays have bad LEDs and all work fine otherwise.

Check the ballast connections too, not just the battery. Check everything. Since neither fire, its most likely going to be one of the shared lines that powers both ballasts, so before they split. Make sure the plug that turns the relays on (the female end that plugs into where your old H11 bulb would plug in) is plugged in too.

Yeap - Adam is right. Ballast is sensitive for polarity - check connection and try again. Rotate 12V plug. If you think there is an issue with relay - skip it - don't connect it until you'll have your HID working ... There is no other way ...

Do you get any warning lights on dash ? (ex. bulb broken)

New Member HID Newbie
    Update - after reading what you guys wrote, I went back out there today and reinstalled...so, you both were right, it was NOT a bad relay and it was that damn connector that plugs into the OEM H11 plug. Durning first install, I had a hard time connecting the OEM H11 connecter to the relay connecter, it never really felt fully seated but looked as if it made a connection - well, I ran into the same issue again BUT as it turns out there was what looked to be an extension buried toward the bottom of the box which was not connected to anything. After looking at the connecters, it looked as if it should have been connected to the relay output that connects to the OEM H11 plug...well, that's what fixed the problem and the OEM H11 plug fit perfectly into the relay plug! The HID's fired up and work great, although, the passenger side light flickered several times when I first turned it on and a few times after ,but has not done it since. Would have been nice if it came attached so I didn't have to go through all this aggravation. Anyway, THANK YOU both for your help, it is greatly appreciated!!

Oo yea, the LED's still do not light up on the relay when the lights are turned on AND the ballast mounting bracket - the screws that come with the kit do not fit into the bracket nor do they screw into the ballast...so I ended up using zip ties from Home Depot, that should hold, right...despite all the heat in the engine compartment?

Thanks again, guys!

How do you like your new light - do you see any difference ? Can you see any further than stock light ?

Alex

New Member HID Newbie
    Waited for it to get dark and just went for a spin. Egh, I'm not as impressed as I thought or hoped I would be. I do notice a difference in color, meaning the light is much whiter, however, I do not notice an improvement in distance. Also, now I see a strange almost purple line (about 2" wide) in the middle of the beam pattern more so on the driver side than the passenger side. For the money, I'm not impressed, I've purchased a few other kits in the past for previously owned vehicles which worked great and were not as expensive as these are. Maybe I'm just really picky but when this kit first arrived one of the ballasts was missing a connecter, and I noticed a gap in both of the ballasts toward the bottom where they were screwed together. Also, the mounting screws that came with both ballasts did not fit in the bracket nor the ballast, the adapter which connects to the OEM plug was buried at the bottom of the box and was not connected to the kit and there were no instructions explaining what that plug even was AND the LED's do not work on the relay. Now on the positive side - TRS has outstanding customer service - they also apologized several times regarding the adapter missing on the ballast and they sent me a new ballast which arrived the next day.
    Last edited by xmerc; June 24th, 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added more info

I'm assuming you had halogen projectors before since you mention the colorful cutoff. Really you can't expect much from a kit, the projectors were designed for halogen bulbs. Using an HID bulb will up the intensity but not the beam pattern.

Can you post output shots? I'd like to see how much color you actually get at the cutoff!

New Member HID Newbie
    No problem, I'll take some pictures tonight and post them.

New Member HID Newbie
    LOL. I'll post some pics tomorrow night, it's been one hell of a week so far.