Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HID kit 55W vs 35W

HID kit 55W vs 35W

Hi, just want to know the opinion of the differences between the 55watts and the 35watts. I have a 2012 Camry and Im not sure about buying 55w because someone told me that it damage te headlamps, if somebody help I'll appreciate.

Thanks ahead.

Junior Member HID Newbie sxysweed's Avatar
    For a retro or for a PnP kit? Does your car have projectors or reflector lights?

Koito Ninja HID Nut
    My windshield is lightly tinted, so I like the extra light that my newly installed 55w ballasts give me. If you're using a projector with a lot of foreground light, the added light from 55w could end up hurting your distance vision compared to 35w, which is obviously bad.

This is the car color and my headlamps, I want to install a 4,300K to the low beam (dont know if is projector or reflector jeje) but is the low beam. Someone told me that the heat of the 55W may damege the headlamp, and the car is brand new, I travel at night a lot and I need a better view. I installed a 35w from ebay and the difference between the original halogen bulb and the ebay HID is a 10% brightest only, so I change it back to the OEM halogen bulb. But I really want to see more at night with the low beam. please any suggestion is welcome, and thaks guys for your help

Senior Member HID Learner meder24's Avatar
    Your problem may be more related to the fact you have halogen projectors than the bulb wattage. Some halogen projectors work well with HID bulbs and some don't.

TRS has HID bulbs that are designed for use in halogen projectors, so you could give those a try as they have a better design tolerance than the cheap eBay ones.

Granted the eBay HID's are probably crappy, but a retrofit to an actual HID projector may be the best bet.
    If you want it done right, do it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by meder24 View Post
    Your problem may be more related to the fact you have halogen projectors than the bulb wattage. Some halogen projectors work well with HID bulbs and some don't.

TRS has HID bulbs that are designed for use in halogen projectors, so you could give those a try as they have a better design tolerance than the cheap eBay ones.

Granted the eBay HID's are probably crappy, but a retrofit to an actual HID projector may be the best bet.
    YOu are the second person that tell me about the TRS HIDs, I have been in this page and read the Reviews and their are excellent, the other that I looked is the http://store.euroeffects.net/ that has the same price but in the page they have the patents warranty etc. but the issue about which one Ill buy is after Iam sure that the HID doesnot damage my halogen projectors. Have you tried the TRS HIDs?

Senior Member HID Learner meder24's Avatar
    HID's burn cooler than halogens do anyhow, so using the 35W HID's (which are more than enough lighting) in the halogen projectors should not create any problems. I dont like 55W bulbs because even though they are brighter, the added gain in output doesn't seem worth it.
    I did use the TRS bulbs one time in a cheap eBay set of halogen projectors. While the projectors sucked, the bulbs actually had somewhat decent output. In a real halogen projector (like you have), I feel they would be pretty good.
    If you want it done right, do it yourself!

HID's burn cooler than halogens do anyhow, so using the 35W HID's (which are more than enough lighting) in the halogen projectors should not create any problems. I dont like 55W bulbs because even though they are brighter, the added gain in output doesn't seem worth it.
    I did use the TRS bulbs one time in a cheap eBay set of halogen projectors. While the projectors sucked, the bulbs actually had somewhat decent output. In a real halogen projector (like you have), I feel they would be pretty good.
    Thanks a lot, I will go with the TRS H11 4300K on my low beam, Ill send you guys a photo after installed. thanks.

Truck Drivin Moderator HID MASTER Outlaw's Avatar
    That looks like a '12 Camry. The rx350 BiX is a direct drop in.
    2013 Dodge Charger SE V6- in process of buyback, piece of shit...
    1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 2WD
    1989 Chevy S-10 5 speed

Senior Member HID KING
    No halogen projectors work well with HID bulbs. It's physically impossible.

TRS has no such thing. The physical HID discharge arc, no matter where it is mounted in an Hx bulb base, is physically incompatible with ANY halogen lamp. It doesn't matter whether it's a projector or reflector. Remember that when you buy, say, an H11 bulb you buy the same bulb whether you have a projector lamp or a reflector lamp. Just as no halogen bulb is specific to projector or reflector, no HID bulb can be specific to projector or reflector. It just doesn't work that way.

Not sure what you mean by "design tolerance"?

All HID kits are crappy. Even the ones from TRS. Crappy is what happens when you use a light source in a lamp it was never designed for. Simply high school physics should tell you that.

A retrofit to a proper HID projector is indeed good advice.

In a real halogen projector (like you have), I feel they would be pretty good.
    Feelings don't count, sorry. Objective evaluation is what counts and I have yet to see an objective evaluation that says any HID kit works well in a halogen lamp.
    Last edited by Markus; June 20th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.