Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Morimoto Mini H1 Issues

  1. #1
    Senior Member HID Learner Chris.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    176

    Morimoto Mini H1 Issues

    So I recently did my second retrofit for my sisters car which is a 2005 Honda Civic EX and I seem to be having some issues.

    I used a set of brand new Depo black housing headlights to do the retrofit as seen here with the finished product:


    Retrofit Details:
    Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 (or the latest versions of w/e TRS is supplying)
    GTI-R Shrouds
    Morimoto 3Five Ballasts
    Morimoto 5K bulbs
    9006 wire harness
    High beam wire splitters (the set up has quad highs (xenon and halogen))

    So the issues I am having are:

    1) Hot spot issues:
    • The driver side seems to have a very noticeable hot spot. The passenger side almost has a non existent hot spot. I have moved the bulbs around and re-seated them multiple times. Nothing helps.
    Pics:




    2) Height adjustment issue:
    • So the headlight housing adjustment screws are at their max tilted up. The housing/reflector bowls are tilted up as far as they can go. The problem is that the light output is only shining an estimated 40 feet at the most in front of the car. I took the car for a spin on some back roads and the low beams basically suck because I can't aim them higher.
    Pics:





    What do you guys think I can do about the height adjustment problems?

    When I mounted the projector, I used this order:
    1. Projector
    2. Large white silicone washer
    3. Headlight reflector bowl
    4. 9006 alignment ring
    5. Lock ring
    6. Bulb holder
    7. Bulb
    8. Bulb retaining clip
    I am thinking the large white silicone washer might be the issue perhaps? Maybe remove it and use the thin washer instead? It seems the large white silicone washer is causing the projector to slope down a bit.

    As far as the hot spot issues, does it seem to be the bulbs?

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Chris.; May 30th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
    2000 Honda Civic SI

  2. #2
    Senior Member HID Guru 0212353's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    861
    I don't think the large rubber will cause it to bow down.

  3. #3
    Senior Member HID MASTER Michelin Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    2,872
    To fix he hot spot issue, switch on the bulb, and grab the back of the bulb and twist it slightly you should start to see the cutoff.

    You would want to use the large silicone washer, but yeah, see how it is with the small one although I probably wouldn't run it like that.

    Try re-installing the projectors they might just be able to move up enough to get the beam to where it needs to be.
    Last edited by Michelin Man; May 30th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member HID Learner Chris.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by 0212353 View Post
    I don't think the large rubber will cause it to bow down.
    Perhaps the reflector bowl is the issue?

    I think I may have to mount these differently from the lock ring and use nuts and bolts? But at that point, I might as well get the FX-R's or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michelin Man View Post
    To fix he hot spot issue, switch on the bulb, and grab the back of the bulb and twist it slightly you should start to see the cutoff.

    You would want to use the large silicone washer, but yeah, see how it is with the small one although I probably wouldn't run it like that.

    Try re-installing the projectors they might just be able to move up enough to get the beam to where it needs to be.
    Would running the small washer cause issues?

    I'll eventually open up the headlights soon and re-install the projectors but I don't think it will help. The projector is pretty snug in there.

    Maybe the 9006 alignment ring might be causing the projector to slope downwards?
    2000 Honda Civic SI

  5. #5
    Senior Member HID Guru 0212353's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    861
    stupid question..............does your reflector bowl have a "nub" like this:



    If so, did you grind it down before mounting?

  6. #6
    Senior Member HID Learner Chris.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    176
    No it did not. It was just a perfectly round circle opening. The "twist and lock" slots are behind but did not affect the lock nut or threaded shaft in any way. The 9006 alignment ring was used and it went in perfectly.
    2000 Honda Civic SI

  7. #7
    Have a picture of your high beams? usually if you do its easier to diagnose if it is a bulb seating/alignment issue. This is most likely the case though as it usually is the MH1

  8. #8
    Junior Member HID Newbie adrian449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    32
    I had the same height adjustment problem (maxed out) with the driver side light on my MH1. I kept the thick grommet on the back of the projector. I cut the thinner grommet in half and stacked them on top of each other and placed them on the bottom half of the projector threads (between the thick grommet and the reflector). This created a wedge that compensated for the height. I was then able to use the height adjustment to get to the appropriate level.
    | 2010 Ford Focus SE. Morimoto Mini H1 4300K. 3Five Ballast. Mini Gatling Shrouds. CCFL Angel Eyes. |

  9. #9
    Senior Member HID Learner Chris.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    Have a picture of your high beams? usually if you do its easier to diagnose if it is a bulb seating/alignment issue. This is most likely the case though as it usually is the MH1
    I'll try and get a pic. This is my sister's car so I have to snap a pic when the car is available for a night drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by adrian449 View Post
    I had the same height adjustment problem (maxed out) with the driver side light on my MH1. I kept the thick grommet on the back of the projector. I cut the thinner grommet in half and stacked them on top of each other and placed them on the bottom half of the projector threads (between the thick grommet and the reflector). This created a wedge that compensated for the height. I was then able to use the height adjustment to get to the appropriate level.
    Great idea! Perhaps I can trim the huge white washer on one half of the circle?
    2000 Honda Civic SI

  10. #10
    Junior Member HID Newbie adrian449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    32
    Sure, you can try that. The only thing I would say about that is it might be easier to add something (wedge), than to take it away (trimmed grommet), in case you want to back out the change for whatever reason.
    | 2010 Ford Focus SE. Morimoto Mini H1 4300K. 3Five Ballast. Mini Gatling Shrouds. CCFL Angel Eyes. |

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •