Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice on budget retro setup???

need advice on budget retro setup???

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and need input from the experienced members here on which will be better from the following 2 setups or perhaps you can guide me to other choices if it's around the same budget:

1- Mini H1 projectors + Morimoto 35W 4300K bulbs + 35w chinese after market ballasts

OR

2- Hella E55 OEM projectors (because I have pair already) + Morimoto 50W 5000K bulbs + 55W chinese after market ballasts

I have limited budget and want to have good, wide low beam light and I feel like the 50w bulbs will be strong enough to do the job in the E55 but also concerned about how difficult will be the retro as this is my first retro and I know the Mini H1 will be way easier to install and align

Thanks and appreciate your opinions

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    if you have e55 already just use those. however, e55 is one of the narrowest projectors in terms of width and 50w setup will not help this. mini h1 is a bit wider but not by much. e55 is also double the size of mini h1 and harder to mount.

Use the e55's. Little harder to do but you will be happier with the out put. Withe the minis you will eventually want more.

Senior Member HID Recruit Flipswitch's Avatar
    what angshan said
    i have quad minis but looking to upgrade.
    minis = the gateway projector :-p

Thanks for the advice I'll use the E55 let's just hope that the alignment will not be so hard... As I'm now going to buy 55W setup, do u think Morimoto 50W bulbs are much better than DDM ones? do the Morimoto bulbs worth the price difference?

Senior Member HID Rookie
    I'd recommend OEM bulbs in the E55s. Morimoto XB35s in the Mini H1.

Yes NTF5 OEM bulbs will be next upgrade but now I'm more concerned about budget that's why I only considered DDM or Morimoto for the time being, not sure if there are any other alternatives within the same budget thought....

Senior Member HID Rookie
    Depends where you are. If you're in North America, probably the Morimotos would be your best bet or have a look in the Classifieds section for some used OEM bulbs. If you're elsewhere, then CNLight bulbs (45 watt version with bubble tube) or TaiChang with Philips licenced burner (same as XB35) might be a cheaper but still reasonable option. Watch out for the fakes, though.

Senior Member HID MASTER Michelin Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NFT5 View Post
    ...TaiChang with Philips licenced burner (same as XB35) might be a cheaper but still reasonable option. Watch out for the fakes, though.
    So there is a TC bulb exactly like the xb35? with the long glass opening on the top as well and etc?

What would the markings on the bulb say?

Senior Member HID Rookie