Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Neon SXT - FX-R 3.0 Bi-X Retro

Senior Member HID Guru DreaminAccord's Avatar

Dodge Neon SXT - FX-R 3.0 Bi-X Retro

This has been my project over the last week or so, I took my time so it would be perfect. This was my first time mounting a projector by using hardware and JnC's rotational aim method - which worked out beautifully!

My previous retrofit was using Morimoto Mini H1 projectors which is a very easy projector to mount, straight through the stock 9007 bulb holder, for any first-timers.

This retrofit includes the following:

Projectors: Morimoto FX-R 3.0 w/ new 2.5" Clear Lens
    Shrouds: BMW E-46 (Extended)
    Harness: Morimoto 3Five Bi-Xenon 'MotoControl'
    Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35W)
    Bulbs: Morimoto 3Five 4,300K D2S

To begin, Ace truly IS the place! I found all of the necessary hardware I needed to complete this custom retrofit.

On with the pics!
    The projectors were then drilled & tapped for #10 screws:

The E-46 shrouds, as well as the OEM turn signal bezels were sanded down using 800 wet sand paper and custom painted to color-match my WS2 Bright Metallic Silver car :thumbup:

JnC's mounting method using L brackets which I custom made out of steel. They were then drilled and tapped for 1/4" screws.

Aiming the projectors horizontally. This step is crucial. The rotational / vertical aims may be tweaked later on using the L brackets and pitch screw.

(Note: I purposely aimed the cutoffs slightly right of my blue tape markings [halogen bulbs] to help ensure the beam(s) will not affect on-coming drivers)

The projectors were then mounted to the housing and spray painted using Rustroleum's new line-up of paints called "Universal" in Gloss Black.

They were then aimed vertically and rotationally once mounted to the housings:

Test fitting on the lenses, bezels, etc:

Last, but not least, today I got them put on the car and finished tweaking the final output:

Color Flicker (so purty)

Final outcome! (All photos were darkened to better contrast the beam)

High Beams

All in all, a lot of time and money went into this project - but I do not regret one cent or one second. I am very happy with the overall outcome, the progress I have made as a retrofitter, and I must say that these FX-R's was an entire upgrade from the Mini H1's. Not that the Mini's are not good projectors - they are.

Thank you for looking and I hope you enjoyed.

A special thanks goes out to gearbox, MSU and all of the others who took the time to explain certain concepts, information, etc. to me.

[: Keep on retrofitting! :]

Senior Member HID KING rollinmyda's Avatar
    Nice! They look really good. I like the paint scheme of the shrouds. It almost looks like an e46 and an s2k had a baby.

Next up is a fog retro!

LMAO already have it! 2010 Fusion fogs, 3000k moto bulbs, harness & ballasts. It's my next project now that the FX-Rs are complete :thumbup:

looks geat!

Quote Originally Posted by angshan View Post
    looks geat!
    Thanks ang! PA here too - only south west haha

Senior Member HID Rookie LatinoDC2's Avatar
    Good job man. They look great
    2013 Accord V6 coupe 6MT S2000 retrofit done by LightWerkz

you mounted projectors directly on housing???
    you lost your leveling motors and left-right adjustment...

Senior Member HID FANATIC Sean Lezner's Avatar
    I love it. Can we get some more shots at night or a video of you driving? That would be awesome! As I've been contemplating trying out the FX-R 3.0's.

Please do some night video out on an unlit country road or something and show us the high beams.

@ error: Yes, sir - mounted directly to the housing under the advice of gearbox - and I can honestly say I'm glad I did! My first two retro's were mounted through the reflector housing and due to the heavy weight of a projector (and the reflector housing not made to support it) I had a horrible sag, the vertical adjustment screw (my only OEM adjustment on these lights) got damaged (it would raise the beam a little, then fall, raise it a little, then fall - they were just too heavy), and the projectors had horrible engine-shake. Mounting directly to the housing, using a pitch screw (for vertical adjustment) and JnC's rotational aim method using L brackets allows for adjusting once the headlamps are resealed. As far as horizontal, I made sure to perfectly mount the projector (before drilling any mounting holes) exactly how I wanted it - and trust me, these projectors aren't moving unless I tell them too! - so horizontal aim should never need adjusted. In fact, once you aim them and do the final adjustments, you really should never have to go back in and re-adjust as they are mounted solid. Lastly, I noticed that mounting to the housing which is a lot sturdier really helps in eliminating engine vibrations. My passenger side has the slightest vibration to it, but that is because the headlamp sits very close to the serp. belt which spins at a very high speed. While in drive and actually moving, you don't see the shake at all unless you are hitting bumps. I highly suggest to anyone to mount to the housing and then drill and mount your OEM reflector in front of the projector if you want it for cosmetic reasons.

@ Sean & kcg: Thanks y'all! I really appreciate the positive feedback Yes, I will definitely take some videos for you as soon as I get a nice clear night (it's been raining) - I have the perfect back country road that will show the low & high beams well. The videos will have to be taken with my iPhone 4S that records in 1080p